Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

Try driving about 45 MPH with the cruise off and no AC. I think you will be amazed. Perhaps you might need to be a little faster with the 5-speed.

I think 40-50 MPG could be possible by just driving slower than average. I had a 120 mile trip with the AC off and drove no faster than 60 MPH and had 40 MPG. Return trip with another passenger, luggage and AC and a little more speed netted 32 MPG.

Just got a tick under 32mpg with 3 or 4 30 mile runs of 75 mph (to not be late for work), the rest of the trips were about 65 on the highway...

These things are decent, but our 08 Honda Odyssey did get 26mpg going from Raleigh NC to Gatlinburg TN with me driving 75-84 the whole way with ac on. Honda and GM have got gas mileage figured out IMHO.

With a tall overdrive, it makes a huge difference if it's all highway. For example, my '93 Z28 averaged 28mpg at about 75mph with 99% highway driving. (The 1% was waiting t get through the Canadian borders.)

It does seem the Ford-based engines are generally more thirsty than Hondas and GMs for some reason.

Our first tank we measured 24.3 mpg with 95% city driving on our 2009. After we get though the break-in period I hope to see even better. Most interesting will be our first long-distance trip. It would be nice to see 30mpg loaded with all our stuff.

I have to brag on my wife a little. She is coming around to driving without a lead foot and is enjoying the challenge with the Scanguage. She pulled almost 38 MPG on a 20 mile trip the other day. That is almost an all time high for us. I was impressed!

AC usage and MPG

I got 31.1 mpg with about 75% highway 25% city with my 08 5AT using the AC about 50% of the time. I think the AC usage is key in the city. Using the scangauge, you can really see how much more load it puts on the engine. It doesn't seem to have the same effect on the highway, probably due to the engine operating at a consistant efficent rate.

We completed a family trip of 39.6 miles and got 39.7 MPG. So the trip used one gallon. This is per a calibrated scanguage. That was squeezing about everything I could get out of it. The car was loaded down with 6 passengers and some Wal-Mart shopping. No AC and the max speed was 63 MPH.

Creeping closer to 30 mpg overall....if I can just keep the lead foot wifey away long enough, I'll get there easy...$37 to go from very empty to full is nice as well...$ 2.63 a gallon now in CT....

Last weekend we drove 140 miles on hilly roads and managed 38 MPG. On the return trip we took a 4 lane road and drove faster. Managed about 36 MPG. It's all about slowing down some. All speeds between 50-60 MPH produce over 30-40 MPG numbers.

That is an incredible MPG, rweatherford!

I want to try some back country road at steady 50 MPH and see what I get before winter blend.

Managed about 36 MPG. It's all about slowing down some. All speeds between 50-60 MPH produce over 30-40 MPG numbers.

...and shutting down the engine while rolling downhill... :D

but being serious, (wow), good job, you really live on flat land, aren't ya? ;)

Actually the trip was to south central MO. I do not do any more advanced hypermiling tricks. The engine is never shut off. I will do some coasting with the engine on but it is rare. Just easy on the throttle and brakes with lower top speeds.

The terrain was split about 50/50 between flat straight roads and hilly curved roads. There are no mountains here, but it's not all flat like some areas of IL/KS/IA. The larger roads in my area are flatter. My real advantage is less traffic and not being pressured to drive as fast as when someone is stuck to your bumper wanting to pass. I usually only get about 30 MPG at 60 MPH on shorter trips.

I only post these numbers to show what a normal person driving slower can achieve with the Mazda 5. We always have 5-6 people in our car.

Google Map of Trip

Last edited:
I don't think I could get away with anything under 65 mph out here in San Diego. If you drive slower than that, the 18 wheelers will eat you alive. That being said, I've had a best trip mpg of about 36 mpg(based on a calibrated Scangauge) in my 08 5AT, but that was in moving traffic(around 60-65 mph) for about 100 miles. Traffic doesn't always move that quickly for that amount of miles out there.

2006 Mazda 5 Auto (prefered package) w/ about 33,000 miles plus at time of test.
Driving solo on flat freeway. Cruise control "On". No overtaking. Full tank. 50%tread life w/ 34 psi. 10-15 mph wind @ 75 F. And no trash/junk inside.
At 60 mph/41 mpg.
At 65 mph/39 mpg.
At 70 mph/37 mpg.
These numbers surprise the ______ out of me. Big factor is the aerodynamic shape and all aluminum engine with VVTi. I wonder how the 5 speed auto fairs.

In my experience your numbers seem a little on the high side for the upper speeds. I also have an auto. However I am always loaded down. I do run higher air pressure in the tires.

Were there other cars around you? Was the wind blowing in the same direction as your travel direction? Might explain a little for me.

Great numbers either way.

In my experience your numbers seem a little on the high side for the upper speeds. I also have an auto. However I am always loaded down. I do run higher air pressure in the tires.

Were there other cars around you? Was the wind blowing in the same direction as your travel direction? Might explain a little for me.

Great numbers either way.

Occasionally, cars/trucks pass me by since I was at a steady state. Thought about pacing a big rig for that vac effect but it could be costly. I based the wind speed on the weather report that day and should have had minimal impact. I just installed a K & N air filter, Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs and 4 Dunlop Signature Sport tires (stock size). City avg moved up from 21 to 24(alright). Will post freeway results next time(usa)

On a trip from Texas to Nebraska and back last week we averaged 30 headed north and 32 headed south! Kept the cruise set at posted 70mpg for all highway driving.

So far our best has been 28.5 with a 5 speed manual. 09 with 4450 miles on it. Drive it like grandpa, not worth running it hard as it isn't fast anyway.

Back