Mazda Tribute Problem: Hot EGR Valve and Rough Running Truck

Hello Everyone,

I have mazda tribute 2001 v6

never had problem for last 6 years run like dream machine every day.

i have to go for air care last month so i did change the spark plugs and some advise me i should unplug the power and plug back which will clear the codes in the computer and also the engine care light

then after that my ugly journey started truck was runnig very rough
i can not even go arround block so i trying to find and get dealership
for mazda in surrey but they were busy

I get my truck towed to local garage shop

he told me that that when i install new spark plug i connect the wrong wire

which was wrong because i label each wire

any how he did not gave me any diagnose problem truck was runnning but not very good.

truck was running 90 % ok was missing some power on high rpm

i was comming home from work felt like i am loosing power and engine was running rough

open the hood egr valve was steaming hot

i try to drive the truck at lower rpm to my house but in the middle
my egr vlave crack open from the aluminimum side

i manage to move the truck home by keeping lower rpm

so i replace the truck with new egr valve

still truckk sttarts fine but when you gave gas loose power
\
Any help

Thanks
Paul

I will try and help you but it is hard to understand what you are saying, your english is not very good. Are you from another country?

Anyway it sounds like your EGR valve was clogged which was causing it to heat up cause all the exhaust was just built up in the EGR. Did you say you replaced the EGR valve? If not either try taking it off and cleaning it out or replacing it

Catalytic Convertor

I took truck for inspection at canadian Tire to find out what is going on.
They done some test and told me

i need to replace catalytic convertor

it is almost 592.oo

any other way to fix this catalytic convertor

Thanks
Paul

I took truck for inspection at canadian Tire to find out what is going on.
They done some test and told me

i need to replace catalytic convertor

it is almost 592.oo

any other way to fix this catalytic convertor

Thanks
Paul

Yah, buy one online, autoparts store, or junkyard and replace it yourself. Very easy, just a few bolts and your done.

dpfe sensor

Hello Mr Mechanic

thanks for the feedback

you think problem could be dpfe sensor

is there is any way to test dpfe sensor

any way to test that sensor

i mean with multimeter or any thing

Please advise

Thanks
Paul

Egr Valve

More update on this truck

i changed the catalytic convertor

Engine was start running like close to normal

Here is now another problem

Engine runs little rough some time when ideal ( in park postion)

was running ok

then i notice the engine does not have enough power like when i try to go uphill
feels like running out of power

so when i try to give more gas gets worse ( engines seems to rumble little noisy)

today i was comming home and i felt i am loosing power on high rpm so i try to bring the low rpm and engine start running bette. there was little uphill i gave some gas and i heared noise leaking some thing

i open the hood I have EGR Valve Crack

There no engine light since i have catalytic convertor

Any help what is going on

Thanks

Paul

Well if the EGR valve is cracked then you should replace it. Sounds like your should have replaced it to begin with. Try that and see if it helps

EGR Valve Replaced still have the same issue no power

So i just bought the egr valve and reaplced

now this is second time in a month egr valve crack twice

here is two things i notice after reaplce

truck was running under low rpm 40km but does not feel like there was enough power to go more than that

when i was comming back after driving 10km (after egr replace)

it was loosing power and in the end it was hardly moving

another piece of the puzzle i notice

seems like there was issue with breaks too feels like break paddle is hard

you think i am loosing vaccum some where or some thing else

so far no engine light

i have the exactly same issue last month where i have end replaced catalytic convertor

any help

Thanks

could be anything at this point.......unfortunately you're just going to have to start trouble shooting.....start at the beginning and work your way back.....start with the intake and go from there.....make sure the intake isn't clogged etc.....if it's getting air then check fuel.....if it's getting fuel then so forth until u get to the culprit. you'll just be playing guessing games and wasting money on parts if u randomly try to figure it out. good luck with it. keep us updated if u get it figured out.....

just a thought.....r u sure someone didn't put in the wrong fuel into the truck....such as diesel......i've seen it happen before........

Mazda Dealership Diagnosis

Finally here is the mazda dealer ship diagnosis

1. Wire to the egr valve was burned

so thats why keep cracking egr valve plus now i have to replace Upper Rear cat convertor.

Mazda dealership gave me price of 1500.oo to replace the cat and egr valve

so i am thinking why not i do myself

can some one guide me in the right direction where i can find the easy direction how to change the upper rear cat convertor.

please advise

Thanks
Paul

egr

have you checked the hose on the intake manifold they wear out and colaps and that can cause problems as well i have had mine go bad twice already first time i had to replace the whole set this time i will have to replace part of the hose as it colasped and has a whole in it causing ait to make the suv run rough and sputter and some times staling out

Vacume leak that you cant find?

Ok I wanted to respond to your post. I recently just had the same issue as you have described. Vehicle is my wifes whos does not run over 2k RPM to conserve fuel and maximize auto life span. This is good but leads to many issues (carbon Build up). I was repairing an issue recently that sounded like a squealing serpentine belt, I replaced the belt tension-er, and belt to no resolve. I totally removed the belt started the Trubute to discover the same noise a squealing like belt slippage. I reved the engine to 2500 to 3000 RPM were the squill typically starts. This is when the vehicle just lost all power and started missing and barely ran. I could here a xtrem vacuum leak as well. After inspection I drove the vehicle that had no power could no go over 20 mph and I had no brakes. Like the vehicle was on limp mode but no BD II codes. After checking all vacuum hoses for vacuum leaks, cracks, missing, etc I found nothing I pulled the vacune hose from brake booster to discover no vacuum. I went to back of vehicle to discover that there was no (zero) exhaust pressure. The exhaust was completely clogged. Long story short the Cat was completely clogged. I removed the cat replaced with a straight pipe and the problem solved. I never got a engine code and the squill I was hearing was gasses escaping between the exhaust manifold gaskets and flange. I do not know how this car ran, now driving this car today its like it has 100 more HP from the last time I drove it meaning its a slow process. I hope this helps someone else out there. If you suspect this could be your issue a easy way to check is pull a O2 sensor from in front of Cat or loosen a exhaust flange to allow the exhaust gasses to escape. It will be loud but the engine will run much better.

could be anything at this point.......unfortunately you're just going to have to start trouble shooting.....start at the beginning and work your way back.....start with the intake and go from there.....make sure the intake isn't clogged etc.....if it's getting air then check fuel.....if it's getting fuel then so forth until u get to the culprit. you'll just be playing guessing games and wasting money on mazda parts if u randomly try to figure it out. good luck with it. keep us updated if u get it figured out.....

just a thought.....r u sure someone didn't put in the wrong fuel into the truck....such as diesel......i've seen it happen before........

I also had same issue with Paul and it really never came into my mind that maybe my truck was filled with wrong fuel. I just remember that my brother borrowed it once and the following days I'm having this problem in my vehicle now. Thanks for this heads up bro!

Thank you so much for the information. I have a 2001 Mazda Tribute and have the same problem. 155,000 miles and the vehicle has been wonderful, but most of the issues have been with the intake / emission system (IAC, DPFE, etc). Also had to replace the upper and lower intake gaskets. I was on a trip to Richmond and halfway there heard a loud sound then something that sounded like air sucking or a continuous sandpaper sound. Also notice low power when going up hills before and after the sound. I was able to drive to Richmond for training and drove very slow on return trip. A mechanic friend looked under the hood and discovered the quarter size hole in the EGR assembly. It had charred outer rim so it was obviously burned out. My friend said he had never seen an EGR do that. So I was going to replace the EGR valve, but now thinking I may have more of a problem than I realize. There was so much in this thread that I am going to read it again. Thanks again for the insight.

Back