Mazda TSB 01-001/23: Valve in exhaust manifold overheating

Hi guys,
In quite a pickle. Have a 2018 Mazda6 turbo for just over 5.5 years, 117k mileage on it. Canada based.
I have a check engine light and experiencing rough idling since a few weeks now. The engine light was intermittent at the beginning but is constant now.
Took it to my mechanic, went down a long list of diagnosis, replaced the fuel injector on cylinder 4 (OEM) and cleaned carbon deposits which he thought was the issue but didn't help.
Turns out its a much more bigger and serious issue that relates to compression leak from exhaust valves.
There is a TSB issued by Mazda North America Ops regarding this issue that applies to my VIN, which my mechanic said is the cause.
As per the TSB This is caused by the variable valve in the exhaust manifold seizing and causing the exhaust port to become hot and the exhaust valve seat to wear unevenly, resulting in compression leakage. To eliminate this concern, the design of the exhaust manifold has been modified.

I contacted Mazda Canada and have got them to open the file for this issue, but I don't have a lot of hopes since he said the car is now out of warranty. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow for diagnosis. Mechanic said this could easily run me close to $2k.

Anyone experienced something similar, or any suggestions in my case? :(

Thanks!

Back