Mazda Quirk, Normal?

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
I have noticed that on AC or HEAT, when I crank it up and select "feet only" on the dial, I still get air from the dash, especially the end two vents nearest the windows. The dealership told me they were familiar with it, and it gave them hell until they tried all the cars on the lot and found it to be normal. They immediately knew what I meant when I came in with the "issue". I was fearing the blend doors were stuck/messed up somehow. Is this indeed normal? I am nearing my 3/36, and would like to hear from others before I drop the "issue". I don't want the blend doors to be crapping out on me. That's EXPENSIVE!

Same with my '13, as well as with other cars I've owned. I'm sure someone will respond with the reason for this.

Same with my '13, as well as with other cars I've owned. I'm sure someone will respond with the reason for this.

This is the first car I've ever owned that did this. Mazda dealer said it keeps the windows de-fogged, but I dunno. It doesn't bother me as long as it "won't get worse". I was just scared the blend doors were on the way out is all.

One thing I find annoying is that you can't really close the outside vent. Even when "off" outside air still comes in. This can be annoying when it's hot and I have the window down because hot air ends up coming through the vent. This was not an issue on my previous car.

Completely normal. You can rest assured no last minute warranty work is required!

One thing I find annoying is that you can't really close the outside vent. Even when "off" outside air still comes in. This can be annoying when it's hot and I have the window down because hot air ends up coming through the vent. This was not an issue on my previous car.

That's what the "Recirculate Mode" button is for. But modern cars are so air-tight they are designed to always mix a small amount of outside air to prevent all the cabin oxygen from being consumed.

So much for the well-practiced routine of hitting the Recirculate button before passing by the odorous skunk roadkill.

So much for the well-practiced routine of hitting the Recirculate button before passing by the odorous skunk roadkill.

Well, it does HELP some, lol.

Thanks, MikeM. The dealer didn't seem shady about it at all, so I trusted them, but trust but verify and all, and wanted to see if others had this occur as well.

If I put recirc on all it's going to do is pull air from above the black dash (which is typically hotter as well b/c of the sun). Although it probably would be less than the venturi effect caused by the outside venting + the window down. Would be nice to specify recirc off and outside off; it's one or the other lol.

It's in the manual. This is not an "issue" as those vents are always on. That's why they have the sliders underneath to shut them off. A lot of cars are like that.

Every car I've owned in the past 35 years had side window vents that were always on.

Wing Vents...

Every car I've owned in the past 35 years had side window vents that were always on.

Years ago all my vehicles had them too. They were called "wing vents". One would un-latch the little handle by pushing the button on it, turn the handle... and then push the triangular glass "wing" outward. This would allow the outside air to deflect inside... thus cooling one off.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--lZDVb4ky--/18nbz32aopyztjpg.jpg

CX5T Lover

Back