Smelly AC

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
Now that I'm using the AC I notice every time I turn it on it smells. The stink goes away but it does this every time I turn it on. Seems vaguely familiar but if it did it must have only been occasionally. Is anyone familiar with this issue and what to do?

Since there are an infinate number of “smells” we can’t definitively diagnose your issue. Perhaps this will help.

First try the ideas above to clean it out, but after that turn your A/C off a mile or so away from wherever you are stopping, so the condensation is dried out. That will tend to stop the moisture-hungry mold from forming.

First try the ideas above to clean it out, but after that turn your A/C off a mile or so away from wherever you are stopping, so the condensation is dried out. That will tend to stop the moisture-hungry mold from forming.
At lunch, I took the car for a drive. Turned up the heat to 80 when the engine was warm enough and drove a few miles or so (upper and lower vents...not sure if it matters). We'll see later if this worked.

At lunch, I took the car for a drive. Turned up the heat to 80 when the engine was warm enough and drove a few miles or so (upper and lower vents...not sure if it matters). We'll see later if this worked.

If the CX5 is like most vehicles, turning the temp up doesn't really help the evaporator dry out.
The heater core is after the evaporator.

All you need to do is turn off the A/C and make sure you aren't in defrost or foot only modes as those run the A/C (temperature permitting). Just set the HVAC to vent or vent/foot.

Always best to not shut the ignition off when A/C is engaged.
CarpeDiem & RedBaron have nailed it here: the system ducts have become a crude petri dish.

For the future, might try purging the system shortly before shutoff.
It's very simple: turn-off the A/C, but leave the fan motor on. Then cycle the fan controls thru every mode starting w/ winshield defroster - progressing downward to floor level, holding @ each setting for a few seconds.
The funk/stench should disappear shortly.

I think I have it cleared by this point. I used to be in the habit of turning the AC on and off when the car was running only (turning it off before I shut off the car). Had been told that was no longer necessary. Sounds like it's best to go back to that habit and perhaps only run the AC with outside air. Will be a bummer on hot days though to cool that air that's coming in. Maybe this only happens once in a while and when I run into follow the procedure of the AC on/off and air out the vents when it occurs.

even new CX5 (500-1000 miles) stinks on the first start of the AC - the first minute or two.
That is- if the AC was on when the engine was last stopped. The only solution is to turn off the AC 5-10 before stopping the car and switching to external air but thats not ideal as all the humidity enter the cabin plus you have to always remember to do it.
Something with the way the evaporator itself is or how the system is designed when using internal
air recirc with the AC. You can use cleaning sprays but the stink returns eventually.
I have not found a permanent and more ideal fix.
If anybody has any other ideas feel free to share.
Mazda has antibacterial treatment for the evaporator which supposedly helps but its very expensive and you cant buy it. The procedure is part of a TSB which dealers rarely do or want to do.

⋯ The only solution is to turn off the AC 5-10 before stopping the car and switching to external air but thats not ideal as all the humidity enter the cabin plus you have to always remember to do it.
Something with the way the evaporator itself is or how the system is designed when using internal air recirc with the AC.
Yeh this’s the catch-22 situation. If you use outside-air with AC, there’ll be more water from the evaporator because of the humidity which will make the musty mildew smell worse.

Back