Mazda 6 Brake upgrade

i thought I had read a reference somewhere about the park brake slightly engaging over large dips in the road, or am I hallucinating?

and do I need to obtain any of the 6 bolts/nuts/etc for the swap, or is all the hardware/brake lines retained from the p5?

correct that's why the longer ones are needed to run them along the trailing arms.

Stock on left, MZ6/626 on right

null_zps0a9fe375.jpg

I was gonna get this upgrade on my P5 in the next week or so, but I just realized something. I was talkin to a buddy of mine and he mentioned that since my car doesn't have ABS that it'll be easier to replace/upgrade my brakes. Do I have to have ABS on my car, or is that not going to be an issue? And will I have to find calipers that aren't for ABS models (if such models exist)?

I'm almost positive that ABS calipers will work on your car. The only difference is that the ABS calipers have a toothed ring and an ABS sensor mount on them.

If your car is non-ABS, you just don't hook up the sensor.

Check to see if you have the orange "ABS" light that comes on when you start your car. You can check for the sensor and wire on your caliper as well as the head unit under the hood to make sure.

You should be able to use either ABS or non-ABS calipers on your car if your car doesn't have ABS.

ABS brakes were one of the few options available on our car along with a sun roof and a few others.

ABS has nothing to do with the calipers. the sensor mounts to the knuckle, and the sensor ring is on the drive shaft. this mod can be performed on an ABS car, as well as a non-ABS car. no difference.

ABS has nothing to do with the calipers. the sensor mounts to the knuckle, and the sensor ring is on the drive shaft. this mod can be performed on an ABS car, as well as a non-ABS car. no difference.

OK,... that sounds right,... I found some pics.

drivrshaft_zpsd43a926e.jpg

dfghdfgh_zps6da5b549.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, I know for a fact that I don't have ABS (had a few close calls with locked up wheels.....lots of noise to get the point across :) ), so what you're saying is the only difference is that I don't have a sensor to hook up? Sweet!

And yeah, my car definitely put pleasure first: I have a sunroof, but a stick shift and no ABS or other options. And I'm likin it a lot!

Finally got the brakes bled today and went for a drive to bed in the pads/calipers. The pedal is still super squishy even though it was firm when bleeding with the motor off. This is with upgraded SS lines too... thoughts?

Finally got the brakes bled today and went for a drive to bed in the pads/calipers. The pedal is still super squishy even though it was firm when bleeding with the motor off. This is with upgraded SS lines too... thoughts?

929 master cylinder swap.

Circuit. Do you have p/n's for the brakes you got or did you do junkyard for the calipers and brackets?

I just did the swap Friday. My pads and rotors were a front/rear kit from RockAuto, K200 I believe. Although it shouldn't be that hard to find if you use their catalog (I used an 07 6 for my parts). And definitely go to a junkyard for the calipers. You won't get the core charge back, and it'll be a lot less than buying them new (mine was $2 a piece versus some $70).

Circuit. Do you have p/n's for the brakes you got or did you do junkyard for the calipers and brackets?

I just went through eBay and searched 07 mz6 front calipers and 01 626 rear calipers. The pads and rotors I got through rockauto and SS lines from crossover auto

I recently bought a set of used front calipers from a 2006 Mazda 6 sedan (don't know if it was an i or s model). I'm still waiting on my Centric rotors to arrive from RockAuto, but I opened up the Hawk HPS pads that I just received today. I set them in the calipers to make sure they fit (there were a couple part numbers, but I went with the one that seemed right), and they do fit, BUT the piston overlaps the edge of the pad by a fair amount. Is this normal? Did I get the wrong pads (I got Hawk HB565F.688)?

I recently bought a set of used front calipers from a 2006 Mazda 6 sedan (don't know if it was an i or s model). I'm still waiting on my Centric rotors to arrive from RockAuto, but I opened up the Hawk HPS pads that I just received today. I set them in the calipers to make sure they fit (there were a couple part numbers, but I went with the one that seemed right), and they do fit, BUT the piston overlaps the edge of the pad by a fair amount. Is this normal? Did I get the wrong pads (I got Hawk HB565F.688)?

Bump for any experience/advice on this issue.

IMG_20131029_123429_184_zps5cb30b86.jpg~320x480
Mazda6brake_zps2a253739.jpg~320x480
Mazda6brake3_zps11d5895f.jpg~320x480

In the first pic, you can see how the pad and caliper do not fully cover the rotor.
In the second, you can see that the pad does not completely cover the piston.
Most interestingly, in the third pic, you can see where the metal on the piston was rubbed clean by the pad the previous owner used. It shows that the previous owner also used pads that did not fully cover the piston. Quite odd.

Back