Mazda 6 Brake upgrade

Rock-Auto lists the same part numbers for the rear brake calipers on the 626 from 1998-2002.

"Mazdaspeed 6 is not 626"

I know that. As Circuit said, the 626 are supposed to work. I actually tried it out and it did not work

Edit: When I installed it all together, the 626 rotor would rub up against the caliper bracket (also from a 2000 Mazda 626)

Last edited:
yeah good thread. I just replaced a stock front frozen caliper, but def might M6 the rears when the ebrake solution is clarified.

I know that. As Circuit said, the 626 are supposed to work. I actually tried it out and it did not work

Edit: When I installed it all together, the 626 rotor would rub up against the caliper bracket (also from a 2000 Mazda 626)

Update: I bolted on my 626 caliper and rotor today as a test fit. There were no rubbing issues. and the rotor spun freely. Some pics:

null_zps592efd4f.jpg

null_zps16da8468.jpg

null_zpsce0a65b4.jpg

Update: I bolted on my 626 caliper and rotor today as a test fit. There were no rubbing issues. and the rotor spun freely. Some pics:

null_zps592efd4f.jpg

null_zps16da8468.jpg

null_zpsce0a65b4.jpg

Hmm I wonder what I may have done wrong, or what parts I may not have properly had...

Good to know though, Looks great

I've had the calipers and rotors from a 2006 or 7 or something mazda6 for a while now, and i've also been without an eBrake. The cable's snapped somewhere, when i fix that i'll see if i can re-route the cable to work with the mazda6 rear calipers.

My whole set up was around $300 if i remember correctly, and i might not since my dad claims it was no where near that much. Parts came from a junkyard in florida (bought off ebay though- one of those listings with the same picture of a junked car for each listing, but a different part for sale... and for some reason a guy in a panda suit) off what appeared to be a freshly junked car. Came with Calipers/brakets, rotors, and for some reason 3 pads for the front with all the clips and shims. I don't know where the 3 came from, but they appeared to be brand new... but alas, just 3.

I'll spam it all over the internet if i can get the cable to work eh?

I've had the calipers and rotors from a 2006 or 7 or something mazda6 for a while now, and i've also been without an eBrake. The cable's snapped somewhere, when i fix that i'll see if i can re-route the cable to work with the mazda6 rear calipers.

My whole set up was around $300 if i remember correctly, and i might not since my dad claims it was no where near that much. Parts came from a junkyard in florida (bought off ebay though- one of those listings with the same picture of a junked car for each listing, but a different part for sale... and for some reason a guy in a panda suit) off what appeared to be a freshly junked car. Came with Calipers/brakets, rotors, and for some reason 3 pads for the front with all the clips and shims. I don't know where the 3 came from, but they appeared to be brand new... but alas, just 3.

I'll spam it all over the internet if i can get the cable to work eh?

for mine I had longer rear cables made to get working e-brake

http://www.astina gt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19832
my brake upgrade thread.
mine were 250mm longer than stock on series 1 mazda 6 rears

After about a week of trying to get the protege brake cables to work with the mazda6 rear calipers... i've given up :'(

The cables almost reach... but not quite, and not without some re routing. Something to try, the cables from the last generation mazda 626 (with rear discs, of course) are like 3-5 inches longer than the protege's- might almost be long enough. When one shows up in the salvage yard again, we shall see

After about a week of trying to get the protege brake cables to work with the mazda6 rear calipers... i've given up :'(

The cables almost reach... but not quite, and not without some re routing. Something to try, the cables from the last generation mazda 626 (with rear discs, of course) are like 3-5 inches longer than the protege's- might almost be long enough. When one shows up in the salvage yard again, we shall see

I did get mine to work with re-routing but when it hit bumps the e-brake would briefly apply, only real way is to have longer cables made and install left mazda 6 rear caliper on right protege rear and vise versa.

so if im reading this correctly, on my p5, the current good stock part BBK is:

2007-2009 mazda6 front and rear brakes, from a v6 model, with rerouted rear park brake cables. is this correct?
also, it will still clear the stock 16's, and no machining is necessary.
I just want to check my facts before heading out to the yards.

when I had my last p5, the 626 was the only option I knew about, and that was fronts only. it was a worthwhile upgrade on the DD. is the mazda 6 more noticible than that?

Michael

I got my set up from an 04 6wagon. Stock wheels cleared without issue. I am pleased with the performance. Still have no e-brake though.

yes to all your questions...zip ties helped me re-route the ebrake. i guess you could do it better, but zip-ties work have worked for 2 years now. the 07-09 brakes are bigger than the 04s, but they still clear the stock 16s

i thought I had read a reference somewhere about the park brake slightly engaging over large dips in the road, or am I hallucinating?

and do I need to obtain any of the 6 bolts/nuts/etc for the swap, or is all the hardware/brake lines retained from the p5?

I used all the P5 hardware/lines. All you need is the calipers, rotors, and caliper mounting brackets.

Back