Mazda 5 vs. Mazda CX-5

tfigs121

:
Mazda 5
I currently own a 2009 Mazda 5 and love it. It has 82,000 miles and I was thinking of getting a new Mazda. I am torn between a 2015 Mazda 5 and the CX-5. I can't find accurate info on the internet regarding cargo space. I love the versatility of the Mazda 5 and don't want to give up cargo space, plus the sliding doors are super convenient for loading. From what I can find, they seem almost identical in size. I know the CX-5 has the Skyactiv engine. Any other advantages of the CX-5 over the 5?

Thanks for any info anyone can share.

Thom

I went from a 2010 5 to a 2015 CX-5. I will say I sometimes really miss the Mazda5. I think it was better for storage. The other thing I miss, is to me the Mazda5 was more nimble and more fun to drive. The one thing I like about my CX-5 is I feel there is more car around us and therefore an increase in the safety factor. The AWD has helped on a few occasions but since we are retired we can just stay home during bad weather.
There's just the two of us so my 5 had lots of open space. It just seemed larger.
The CX-5 is a great auto but every now and then...........

Last edited:
Cx5 feels more modern with the touchscreen and other options liked the adaptive cruise. Not sure if that's available on the 5 now but it wasn't in 2012 when we got ours.

5 does feel more nimble. It feels more responsive due to the tuning. The skyactive is great but at first it feels lethargic by comparison until you get to know how it's setup. Honestly I'd expect my cx5 to be way faster than the 5, I've never actually raced them, but at low speeds it doesn't feel like it is. Turn on sport mode and bam it feels like it is

Overall my cx5 feels nicer all around. It is however bigger and you don't get as nimble handling and you don't get the sliding doors. If you have little kids this is a great feature. I can get 6 people in more comfortably than 5 in the cx5 too

I get about 5 mpg more on the cx5 through the life of the cars. This is pretty much the same driving patterns though with my wife on the 5 throttle and breaks.

Honestly if they'd have updated the 5 with skyactive and better nav etc it would be highly attractive. Somehow with all the advantages of the 5 I'd still take the cx5 mainly because it's cooler and I can take dips without slowing. 5 is damn low.

Last edited:
I traded in my Mazda5 for a 2013 CX-5 Touring with Moonroof and Bose package two weeks ago. Have not regretted it a bit. I did love my 5 but the CX-5 just seems more fun to drive. And of course, the added safety features are a big plus - rear camera, blind spot, AWD. Thanks for the comments.

5 is a hoot to drive, has more space than any SUV or crossover I have been in. But it's not that good on gas, and has very little ground clearance, which matters more than I thought it would on any rough surface.

I test drove a CX-5 and a few other small to middle sized CUV/SUVs back to back with the 5 last month, when I ended up buying mine (a 2013 mazda5).

My take on it is about the same as others have said here. The CX-5 feels like there's more car around you, it feels a little more insulated from the road, but doesn't seem quite as nimble. More technology but less cargo room. The real clincher for us was the second-row captains' chairs, my daughters love them and the space they can get between moving them fore and aft and reclining them (not overmuch while we're in motion) was a real improvement on the CX-5's back seat. If you carry passengers all the time, have them test out the back seat and see what they think.

I don't remember what the turning radius of the CX-5 was like. I love the one on the 5, it makes navigating tight city streets and tight parking lots ever so much easier.

Ruby

I don't remember what the turning radius of the CX-5 was like. I love the one on the 5, it makes navigating tight city streets and tight parking lots ever so much easier.

Ruby

Specs I found online showed them identical at 36.7 feet

Back