MAZDA 5 and 4x8 DRYWALL/PLYWOOD

Hello. I am looking to downsize and get out of a Dodge Caravan. The Mazda5 looks like a great alternative with it's compact size, gas mileage, and cargo capacity with the seats folded. I occasionally do some light contracting work and don't want to buy a mini cargo hauler like the Ford Transit Connect. Can anyone tell me if 4x8 sheet goods (plywood/drywall) will fit into the cargo area at and angle without having to cram them in against the trim? I know they would protrude out of the back, but that is okay. I would only need to move 2-3 sheets at one time at the most and not for long distances. I know I can rent a truck, but it is easier to haul directly to the job rather than haul and then hurry to return the rental. Oh, BTW, how is the Mazda 5 in snow? Thanks!

if you can get a roof rack and fabricate supports, i would think that would be a better solution. with the hatch open, you'll be pulling exhaust fumes into the cabin.

Just measured the hatch opening, and though it is difficult to measure precisely because of the rounded moldings, I think at widest it measures exactly 4 feet, or maybe a fraction of an inch smaller. I need a laser tape measure!

Depth to the driver's seat to rear hatch is about 6 feet. I agree that a rack setup would be preferable.

keep the caravan. for the $$ it will probably never pay back in any gas savings.
This car is not super good on gas. When i drove rented caravan it only got 5%(hwy) -10% (city) lower gas millage.
With all the inconveniences you need to go through to carry 4x8 and much smaller inside space for contracting, if you need it on a consistent base, keep your car.

If you plan to haul sheet goods in bad weather, an open hatch is not ideal. We used to have a 3.8l Town and Country (similar to Caravan) and it got the same gas mileage on the highway as our MZ5. Around town it was not as good, but had a lot of smooth low end torque to get it around so the tradeoff was reasonable. If it didn't start to rust so bad we would have kept it. Can you afford to have both vans?

Wow, I can't get a 4x8 sheet in my grand caravan without a lot of cursing.

Dunno, depends on the year i suppose and hoe much crap you have inside.
I rented 2011, with both rows down into the floor the 4x8 fit in with out any issues with room to spare.

Dunno, depends on the year i suppose and hoe much crap you have inside.
I rented 2011, with both rows down into the floor the 4x8 fit in with out any issues with room to spare.

We had a 2003, worked fine although our model had a removable center console for the second row, which when removed left a base that stuck up a little bit, making it a PITA to slide the first sheet in.

Everyone missed your second part to the question. It SUCKS in the snow. Worst car Ive owned and my neighbor who has one across the street agrees. I bought snow tires immediately and it still spins like crazy off the line. I dont know what the underlying issue is, perhaps the gearing and weight distribution but its just unbearable.

Everyone missed your second part to the question. It SUCKS in the snow. Worst car Ive owned and my neighbor who has one across the street agrees. I bought snow tires immediately and it still spins like crazy off the line. I dont know what the underlying issue is, perhaps the gearing and weight distribution but its just unbearable.

um, just no.

while the mazda5 isn't as capable in the snow as a subaru with nobby tires, it is a very capable snow vehicle. and, proper tires are the key. our mazda5 with hankook winter i-pike's on 16" rims will drive circles around any SUV with all-season tires. yes, it doesn't handle as well in the snow as it will in the dry, but i've never been stuck with this car on those snow tires.

What tires did you and your neighbor have on when you had these experiences??

I tend to agree with you more so than not that the underlying characteristic of this car (also think along the lines of gearing and weight distribution) is not so good for winter –without proper tires.

Um, sure, whatever you say. My 16" Bridgestone Blizzaks do not agree with you. I had stock Toyo the first time I got stuck. I couldn't figure out why I was stuck as my old Maxima had just pulled out of that same spot with no special technique, drive, gas, go. The 5 took 15 minutes of digging to extract. The 5th time that week that I got stuck I decided that Snow tires were important and I should carry a shovel from now on. I base my opinion on the stock toyo tires, my snow tires and my neighbor had the stock tires and now has Continentals, he also has a 5 speed manual which is much easier to control than auto.

I need to add this bit of info. I am talking about one very specific area that its performance is below par, pulling out of a parking spot where there is an uneven icy surface or accelerating on ice from a stop. Once its on the go, its as good as any car. It stops and corners amazing with the Blizzaks in powder or slushy conditions. When you need to move out from a stop, it all goes to hell. At intersections, it will spin the tires worse than any car Ive ever owned. The freezing effect at corners is especially harsh on it. I live in Brooklyn, as city as it gets and this is 95% of my driving environment when it snows. Here in the big city, people dont clean out their parking spots either, they do the bare minimum because you may not be in that spot later. As a result, a 2-4" high mountain range of ice can build up that you need to traverse to get in or out of a parallel parking spot. It is terrible in this respect as well, my neighbor got out of his 5 while it was still in gear spinning. He eased off the clutch and it didn't even move. Some of these spots can get very sloppy and its basically a trap for the 5, you might momentum your way in but it will never get back out. I've been stuck on a 1" high shelf of ice, you get out and look and cant even fathom why it wont move on basically nothing, you walk around the whole car looking for that chunk of ice you didn't see but there isn't one! Perhaps these conditions dont exist in your neck of the woods but they do here and it makes life very difficult. If I were out in the country just on 4-5" of fresh snow, I dont think I would have an issue.

I think that's more of a statement to how bad the stock Toyos suck, not the vehicle itself. I think we all agree that the stock Toyos are awful tires in basically every regard.

*edit: I posted that before I saw your update (post 14)

Yes the Toyo's do suck but its still not great on tires made for this exact situation, thats my point. I bet it would be a different world with a LSD too.

Most of the snow has melted but this spot had a pile 4 feet high so its down to what is normal during winter for us. Just imagine the entire block with snow like this for months.
IMG_20140306_170800648_HDR_zpsmp4ir5g7.jpg

Better view from the side and the relative height of the snow.
IMG_20140306_170825604_HDR_zps0gdi2fj5.jpg

Yes, it looks like nothing but it will get the 5 stuck so bad you wouldn't believe it.

What microvan said(rockon). I've been very impressed with my 5 this winter. As soon as the snow accumulated past quarter inch it was in manual mode, started in 2nd. I agree that if started in first it would still spin my winters. I preferred driving it in the snow over my wife's all wheel drive CX9 with all seasons. I have General Altimax Arctic 205/55 16, second season running them with no appreciable tread wear. I love them.

Last edited:
I had a new '14 VW rental that got stuck in my garage on the snow boogers that melted and fell off overnight so the MZ5 isn't all that bad. At least the MZ5 has traction control that can be turned off, unlike this VW.

Back