Mazda 3 audio inputs

Nice and thanks for your help. I am pretty certain that I will be getting a Dell DJ for Christmas and this seems to be the easiest way to hook it up in the 3.

ag bullet said:
Nice and thanks for your help. I am pretty certain that I will be getting a Dell DJ for Christmas and this seems to be the easiest way to hook it up in the 3.

Any problems with this set up as far as interference goes bluntman?

Which dashmount did you go with?

I am thinking about proclip .. but would prefer something a little higher methinks.

I ordered mine last night.

They are based in Madison, WI ... my current place of living! :D

Hopefully it is here soon. I have awesome hard-wireing ideas with a monster iCarCharger. :D

Just installed the PIE adapter today. The install was so much easier than the one I did on the family van. Attached the adapter to the bottom of the HU with cable ties and placed a small piece of low-grade insulation to cushion the device. Haven't tried powering the unit through the car power plug yet though.

This PIE solution uses to components:

1- MAZ/PC-ALP ( http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=445 ): This device is a protocol convertor (originally designed to allow you to hook a Alpine CD changer up to the stock Mazda radio) and connects to the back of the radio and "translates" the electronic signals from the "language" of the mazda radio to the "language" of Alpine. It gives you an m-bus connection with the Alpine "language".

2- ALP/M-RCA ( http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=124 ): This attaches to the m-bus connection above and gives you standard RCA input jacks.

All you have to do is get these 2 components and hook them up to the stock radio and then hook in your iPod (or any other music player, laptop, DVD player) and hit the CD button twice and then you have sound. Lots of people have had luck with this solution. Only problem seems to be if your car has a NAV screen (not going to be much of a problem for Canadians).

does anyone know what the problems are if you have nav? also are you precluded from doing this if you have the 6disc changer and or the nav?

thanks

I may be asking a question that has already been answered but I wanna be sure. We have a Canadian 3 GS with single disc cd player as the audio option. So there is no grounding, wiring etc of any kind? All you do is connect the gold coloured jack here http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=124 into the PIE Adapter, and the blue and white power looking plugs here http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=445 into the back of the factory head unit, yes? I know I'm encouraging a sarcastic answer by asking what seems to be an obvious question, but I wanna be sure before I whip out the credit card.. Wow, those PIEs seem to be awful hard to get now anyway, even if I was ready to order now/

Also, since I'm planning on using the headphone-out jack on my MP3 player, could I order this http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=608 and use it instead of the wire that has RCA/Composite jacks on it?

Last edited:
I believe the blue connector plugs into the back of the stock stereo, the white connector plugs into the PIE box. The round gold connector on the cable then plugs into the other side of the PIE box. Get the other cable instead. That's what I bought (the PIE box and the other cable).

bluntman said:
I believe the blue connector plugs into the back of the stock stereo, the white connector plugs into the PIE box. The round gold connector on the cable then plugs into the other side of the PIE box. Get the other cable instead. That's what I bought (the PIE box and the other cable).

By the other cable, do you mean the one with the headphone jack sized jack on it, IE NOT the Red/White, correct?

Also, the blue goes into the stereo, got that part. But the white cable plugs into the PIE box? Isn't the white cable already coming OUT of the PIE box?
DCN

Right, when I said the other cable, I meant the KCM-123B, the one with the headphone jack. It's one less cable that you have to buy.

Trust me, I have the PIE box installed, the cable with the blue and white connectors connects the PIE to the back of the stock headunit (blue into the stereo, white into the PIE box).

ipodmod.jpg

bluntman said:
Right, when I said the other cable, I meant the KCM-123B, the one with the headphone jack. It's one less cable that you have to buy.

Trust me, I have the PIE box installed, the cable with the blue and white connectors connects the PIE to the back of the stock headunit (blue into the stereo, white into the PIE box).

Oh I trust/believe you, don't worry. I just didna understand if/why the blue cable that looked like it was coming out of the PIE box in the ad would then plug back into the PIE box. So it's a separate cable altogether, I didn't get that before. To me it looked as if it came out and then back into the box. Thanks for your help bluntman!

I have the 6 disc and please correct me if i'm wrong, the MAZ/PC-ALP and ALP/M-RCA connection will work, right? BUT I also have navigation, so my question is, am i still able to make an input for my mp3 player? sorry if this has been answered but i'm not that technically knowledgeable.

Does anyone know if the MAZ/PC-ALP works with a 2003 protege LX? Had almost given up and was about to buy an FM modulator, but I would rather not. I'm attempting to get an iPod mini to work with my Mazda and this is the first place I've found sucsess stories.

Also, if it does work, could this setup work with something like this? http://www.monstercable.com/iCruze/

--grant

Hi I just got my car last thursday and I was wondering where could I purchase PIE. I am located in the philippines hope sombody could help thanks.

Last edited:
PIE MAZ/ALP adapter in Canada

Has any canadian ordered the PIE adapter? Have you ordered from the USA or is it available in Canada? How much did you pay with shipping & taxes ? How about duties $$$ if it came from the USA.

Thanks!

I'd like to know too. They were hard to get anywhere a few months ago when I loked into it.

Back