Maxx Mazda's 2011 Build Thread

I'd have no problem spending $2K on a transmission if It would be bulletproof. Problem is, a "full out" built one such as yours runs a cool $8000. I'm a pilot, I don't have that kind of cash sitting around burning a hole in my wallet I'm afraid. And if I did there a million and one other things I'd rather spend it on than a transmission.

I'm just about done with this car. The platform is dying, and I refuse to keep dumping money into it. I've spent probably $50K to date, and I'm still not happy with the fucken thing. You've spent much more than that on yours I'm sure, was it worth it? As for "OEM garbage that might or might not survive" what's saying the PAR setup will survive either? People have broken them too. All it takes is a hairline crack or manufacturing defect, and its game over OEM or not.

This isn't a 1300HP drag Toyota Supra. It's a 2600lb grocery getter that I blast to the mountains and back with on sunny days. I think I put 6,000Km on it in the last 5 years. Point is, I need to make this car "fun" again. Not just to drive, but to work on, too. If I can put together a transmission for $2K that will hold what I need it to and a little more, I'll be happy with that. Sure, custom ratios and double cone synchros are awesome, but at the end of the day, it's still just a car.
i have a bullet proof transmission for sale. 3200 obo.

I am away from home right now guys. Damian, I will contact you next week when I return.

What is this bullet proof trans you guys speak of?? Im guessing PAR streight cut gears with double syncros and needle roller bearings and possible reinforcement cups.

Well, there's your problem!

img2805n.jpg

img2804t.jpg

img2807pu.jpg

looks like you had transmission case flexing there Maxx.. why dont you contact Gerard Chan at Par and get them to make you racing Helical cut gears. they are as strong or stronger than Straight cut according to him. you just need to hold the input and output shafts together to prevent this problem.. my tranny and par racing helical gears are holding strong 26 psi of boost with our custome brace we have designed to prevent this problem. PAR cups are useless. i can privately send you the proper brace picture that really does it work preventing case flexing in that particular area holding together engaged the gears.

Last edited:
I was wondering how long it would take you to chime in here..... What brace are you talking about?

Now THAT looks like a viable alternative for once! I always shim my trans way on the tight side of spec to keep the shafts from pulling apart, but I suppose a brace like that is worth a try.

I've decided I don't want to run straight cut gears, now whether or not I run PAR helicals or something else is another story.

I'd love to, but as I pointed out earlier, I'm getting sick and tired of dumping thousands after thousands into this car....

Back