Maxx Mazda's 2011 Build Thread

Thanks. Nothing fancy, just had to upgrade for the wifey. The garage is a tad bigger, which is all I care about. If it will fit the Protege, a workbench, my tools, an engine houst, and a beer fridge, I'm sold.

Work will begin within a week or two. LOTS of fun stuff planned this time around! ;)

this time around? lol damn just looked at the whole thread and wow didnt know more fun could be added to this. great build

Gotta be something in the water up there in Canada which causes you guys to build amazing Protege5's. First Brian and now you Maxx. Quality stuff going on north of the border.

Well, the 2012 saga begins.

Pulled everything out of my garage (which is now 4 stalls smaller than it used to be) and cleaned the floor, and put stuff away neat and tidy:

img2212w.jpg

Washed the Protege up for the first time in about 7 months:

img2207g.jpg

img2208rm.jpg

img2209e.jpg

img2211q.jpg

img2205df.jpg

Got the bikes put aside for now, and pulled her in for the "surgery"

img2215oc.jpg

Not a bad shine for a 10 year old car?

img2213o.jpg

The teardown will start this week. Trans is coming apart, and there may be a surprise planned to replace it. Have to wait and see!

I've seen lots of good posts from Maxx Mazda over the years, but this is the first time I've come across his build thread. I honestly didn't know there were still Protege owners left who had this much care and attention to detail. Simply amazing work.

Subbing. Really anxious to see what is done about the transmission.

Keeping Posted... Wish my finish was that pretty :( It will be before the summer's over! Got my hands full with lots of bodywork paint and CF'ing to sweat over :)

FINALLY got some time to work on it tonight! (Wife is out of town!)

I knew I needed some new front tires, so I took it down the street to a new area under construction and let them smoke! Wish I had someone along with me to take a video. Held it for a good minute at least, figured I might as well get rid of whatever tread was left. The aftermath:

img2302yh.jpg

Got it home, pulltd the wheels off, bumper off, and got to work:

img2303l.jpg

img2304w.jpg

img2305w.jpg

Intake manifold, fuel rail off, most of the electrical connections out of the way as well as vacuum hoses:

img2306g.jpg

img2307de.jpg

Sorry for the lack of descriptors on each photo, I kinda got "on a roll" and didn't stop to take many pics. Once the engine and trans are out, the cleanup will begin!

Or the fact that you can Fly 3rd gear out of mechanical stability so many times before you have to fix it for good...

Back