making a turbo awd protege5?

goride

Anyone know if its possible to drop a mazda speed 6 drive train into a mp5 including the motor, awd train, and possibly the suspension and axles?

Instead of spending 26, 000 on a STI i figured i could try to convert my MP5 into a 300hp turbo'd awd beast.

Depends. How much money you got? Will it drop right in? Doubtful at best.

with money, anything is possible.... will it end up costing you less than an STi? Probably not....

Is it possible to sway a LS-1 into hatch of my P5 and make it full time all-wheel drive???

These questions keep getting more and more ridiculous...If you don't have the mechanical knowledge to know if it is possible, then you don't have the knowledge to do it in the first place...

Is it possible to sway a LS-1 into hatch of my P5 and make it full time all-wheel drive???

These questions keep getting more and more ridiculous...If you don't have the mechanical knowledge to know if it is possible, then you don't have the knowledge to do it in the first place...

couldn't agree more

buy the sti......all the problems you will run into swapping will be too much of a headache. I'd say, rebuilt the p5 engine and get a good quife lsd and turbo boost the s*** out of it.......you could do 300whp and would save you money than doing the swap.

Not trying to restate the obvious, but unless you fall into the "more money than brains" club, this isn't worth it. Buy an AWD car and build it or just go to PG and get a built block and turbo it. With an LSD, it's actually pretty manageable. Another thing to do would be to search, since we've been through this many many times before.

thanks everyone for assuming.

I have a number of friends who are mechanics, a friend who owns a fabrication shop, and all the tools needed. I've built a number of mini trucks bagged and body dropped but im knot keen on swaps. I was trying to get some helps but instead got a number of ppl who like to assume. I was just wondering if its ever been done before or if anyone had any insight to it.

And you got insight. And it IS possible, but do you really want to do all that work? The search function actually isn't that bad. This subject has been exhausted an innumerable amount of times, in many, many different threads. So...Search...And buy an Evo.

No it hasn't been done before. You'd have clearance issues with the floorpan, so that would need to be severely modified, and I'm going to venture a wild guess that the uprights / hubs / control arms / etc are not a direct swap as it's a completely different chassis.

To give you a better answer:

-NOTHING is common between the 6 and the Protege. Motors, transmission, electrical, EVERYTHING is different.

-There was an AWD P5 in japan. However, the basic structure of the AWD car is significantly different and swapping the parts into a US car really isn't feasible.

- Having friends with a "shop" doesn't make such a daunting task any more easy or any less expensive. This will easily be a $10-30k project to do it correctly.

- The end result would still be a P5 and valued as such. It'd be way easier to just buy the car you want (which seems to be a MS6) instead of trying to build one from scratch.

Just getting your hands on a wrecked MS6 with all the bits still in working order will quickly set you on your way to spending more on the swap than buying a new STi or EVO.

You'd have to mangle and bastardize an MP5 to get an AWD drivetrain in it. Cutting and re-designing the rear floor, relocating things (gas tank, etc) and fabricating a custom rear suspension is just the beginning of the list you're facing. I know it's fun to think about, but once you get waist deep in it, you're gonna wish you hadn't.

seems to me the logical conclusion you came to should have been apparent from the very beginning. I'm guessing you're like me, somewhere above novice but nowhere near "knowledgable" when it comes to the automotive world. That being said, even when I converted my "Mazda" Probe Turbo KLZE from FWD to RWD it cost me a fortune, I was young and naive, what can I said. Common sense states this simple fact: If the car you're wanting to swap parts from shares -0- structural / mechanical / chassis features, then odds are you'll have to be a tycoon of some sort to afford the fabrication.

-end rant

side note: MS6 > STi. personal opinion anyways - test drive both before making a decision though

side note: MS6 > STi. personal opinion anyways - test drive both before making a decision though

How is that true? The STi has more power standard, is lighter, has more aftermarket support, proven rally winner, proven power producer, better looks (IMHO). They aren't even in the same class. The MS6 was meant to be more of a luxury car that hauls, while the Sti was derived from a two door platform (not sure of year)

Back