main gripe you MS6 owners have?

Sounds like you owned a GM/Ford at one time :)

Gandalf said:
My main gripe is the doors don't lock automatically when the car starts moving. Would have cost Mazda $5 do add this circuit in - yeah its petty, but it anoys the hell outta me.

Personally I think that feature is a nuisance. It takes a finger to hit the power "lock" button. And if you have kids you have to enable the child locks anyway, so what good does having all doors lock at once?

Of course that is my opinion.

Hate said:
You won't regret it. I can find SOMETHING to complain about on every car I buy. You getting an 06 or 07?

2007 Titanium. I'm currently driving a 325xi, so I'm looking forward to some actual speed :)

Antonio DiMarco said:
Personally I think that feature is a nuisance. It takes a finger to hit the power "lock" button. And if you have kids you have to enable the child locks anyway, so what good does having all doors lock at once?

Of course that is my opinion.

i personally agree. my wife, however, does not. she thinks its "unsafe" to be driving around with the doors unlocked..

i found another thing. no one touch moonroof. also, if you have it cracked, you have to close it with that switch before you can slide it with the other. once again, not a deal breaker, just another thing i have to find a way to "fix"

MazdaJeff said:
2007 Titanium. I'm currently driving a 325xi, so I'm looking forward to some actual speed :)

Don't worry about the gripes, they are all small things compared to what the car offers you in performance. Wait till you try it in a Montreal snowstorm, you won't believe how fun this car is! :)

wannabe said:
i found another thing. no one touch moonroof. also, if you have it cracked, you have to close it with that switch before you can slide it with the other. once again, not a deal breaker, just another thing i have to find a way to "fix"

yep, I agree with you on this one. Its the most annoying powered moonroof. How much more difficult would it have been to add those extra features, one touch moonroof open or close, I'm not even asking for a rain sensing auto close. Even my dads old '87 celica had the one touch open/close. BUT I really dont wanna go messing around with the wiring so I'll just have to live with it.

You can mod your moon roof controller to get one-touch open and close. Someone did it for the Protege5 so you could use that as a basis. It just requires a few capacitors and resistors. However, if Mazda were to offer it, they would have to put in security sensors and what not to make sure it doesn't crush someone's fingers. I haven't checked yet to see if they did this for the windows...does anyone know?

chuyler1 said:
You can mod your moon roof controller to get one-touch open and close. Someone did it for the Protege5 so you could use that as a basis. It just requires a few capacitors and resistors. However, if Mazda were to offer it, they would have to put in security sensors and what not to make sure it doesn't crush someone's fingers. I haven't checked yet to see if they did this for the windows...does anyone know?

yeah, i plan on it one of these days. i did it for the protege, and i'm assuming this set up will be similar.

I have the same issue with my 3

wannabe said:
i personally agree. my wife, however, does not. she thinks its "unsafe" to be driving around with the doors unlocked..

Yeah the moonroof is a bit of a pain. My guess is that they did this for safety reasons and didn't want to spend extra budget on a design that would react to an obstruction (like a child's head or an arm).

A Mazda Newb, starting to get frustrated

I have only one gripe about my Speed6:
It's stuck at the dealership for at least 2.5 weeks! and I'm stuck with a tiny Hyundai as a loaner. (I'm thinking it's actually going to be longer than that too, since I don't believe their diagnosis)

Here's the background, sorry for the length:
I took my 2 month old, 4k mile, '07 Speed6 GT into the dealership last Monday (9 days ago) to have them figure out why it's been difficult to start in the morning and has a severe, although intermittent, hesitation before it warms up. I started noticing it about three days before and it had eventually declined to the point that it would start, but barely idle, then die about 10 seconds later. After three or four restarts it would finally idle right, but any throttle input would cause it to bog and die, and I'm not talking about drag launches here, I was just trying to back out of my driveway, and it's not a lack of manual transmission skills. It felt just like it had an old carburetor and was trying to flood every time I hit the gas pedal, but as soon as it warmed up it drove just like the day I bought it.

They first told me there were some computer updates, and all would be well the next day.
(When I heard that, I thought to myself "that's funny, I've been reading quite a bit about this car since I started looking at them, and I wasn't aware of an ECU reflash for the 2007's, but whatever, they're the experts, right?")

The next day they had "reflashed the computer" but they still couldn't keep it running. (Yeah, big surprise...)

Eventually towards the end of last week they decided that it was the high pressure fuel pump. However, there isn't a single one available in the U.S. so it has to come from Japan. Apparently Japan is on vacation all this week, so it's going to take until the middle of next week before they even get the fuel pump! (If they're right on their estimate, that will make my car stuck at the dealership for a total of 17 consecutive days, before they can even get the part that might fix it.

To add to the confusion, it hasn't thrown a single check engine light this whole time.

So here are my questions, but I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask it:
Is there any history of this, or do I get to be the first?
AND
Isn't the high pressure fuel pump in these engines mechanically driven by one of the camshafts? How does that fail, only sometimes, when cold, but then work great when warm?
AND
Does it sound like the dealership has any clue what they're talking about?

I'm hardly a master mechanic, but I'm also not your average consumer. Automotive related stuff is my hobby and for three years in college I was pursuing a degree in automotive engineering. (I switched to Computer Science in my last year for a number of reasons, but that's an entirely different topic)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited:
If you want your questions answered, you should start a new thread with a proper title. I haven't heard anyone with this problem.

RunningJon said:
It's stuck at the dealership for at least 2.5 weeks! and I'm stuck with a tiny Hyundai as a loaner. (I'm thinking it's actually going to be longer than that too, since I don't believe their diagnosis)

<snip>

AND
Isn't the high pressure fuel pump in these engines mechanically driven by one of the camshafts? How does that fail, only sometimes, when cold, but then work great when warm?
AND

I'm hardly a master mechanic, but I'm also not your average consumer. Automotive related stuff is my hobby and for three years in college I was pursuing a degree in automotive engineering. (I switched to Computer Science in my last year for a number of reasons, but that's an entirely different topic)

yeah, i'd definetly say thats a gripe, so this is kinda the place to post it...i personally woudl recommend starting a new thread in the Engine/Transmission/etc forum.

as far as your questions, i'm no master tech either, and honestly haven't torn into this car much yet...but fuel pumps aren't normally driven by cams..
and as far as #2, my first guess would have been injectors and/or iac. sounds like the car either isn't getting enough fuel, or the idle isn't sitting high enough to handle the additional load of a non-warmed car. (normally your idle will be higher until its completely warm)

Gripe

My only real gripe so far is that it appears the dash is starting to warp around the passenger side airbag. Now I have dealt with this crap before and I just traded in the car that had it happen, a 1999 Contour SVT, dash warpage was a killer and cup holders sucked.. As for this car I can deal with brake dust my CSVT created it and so does this one. the clutch took a little getting used to but not that much different than my CSVT. As far as anything else I get the same kinda mpg I did out of my car except with a few more ponies tucked under a new hood.

Mine is a non sunroof leftover 06 GT, since I never opened my sunroof I didn't miss it. Had it a week now. already have 550 miles on it.

No mods planned as the wife would pitch a fit, besides I have two other 2.3L turbo cars in the driveway. the Ford originals.

RunningJon said:

Here's the background, sorry for the length:
I took my 2 month old, 4k mile, '07 Speed6 GT into the dealership last Monday (9 days ago) to have them figure out why it's been difficult to start in the morning and has a severe, although intermittent, hesitation before it warms up. I started noticing it about three days before and it had eventually declined to the point that it would start, but barely idle, then die about 10 seconds later. After three or four restarts it would finally idle right, but any throttle input would cause it to bog and die, and I'm not talking about drag launches here, I was just trying to back out of my driveway, and it's not a lack of manual transmission skills. It felt just like it had an old carburetor and was trying to flood every time I hit the gas pedal, but as soon as it warmed up it drove just like the day I bought it.

They first told me there were some computer updates, and all would be well the next day.
(When I heard that, I thought to myself "that's funny, I've been reading quite a bit about this car since I started looking at them, and I wasn't aware of an ECU reflash for the 2007's, but whatever, they're the experts, right?")

The next day they had "reflashed the computer" but they still couldn't keep it running. (Yeah, big surprise...)

Eventually towards the end of last week they decided that it was the high pressure fuel pump. However, there isn't a single one available in the U.S. so it has to come from Japan. Apparently Japan is on vacation all this week, so it's going to take until the middle of next week before they even get the fuel pump! (If they're right on their estimate, that will make my car stuck at the dealership for a total of 17 consecutive days, before they can even get the part that might fix it.

To add to the confusion, it hasn't thrown a single check engine light this whole time.

AND
AND

This sounds like what I have heard before. It is some sort of solenoid valve that fails (can't recall the name, think it is on the emissions system). I believe there is a thread somewhere on here about it, try searching for start or idle problems. I would but unfortunately I am on a satellite connection on a ship and it is s-l-o-w! If it does turn out to be the fuel pump then you will probably be the first. If it isn't then I would recommend finding another dealer with better troubleshooting skills.

chiefmg said:
This sounds like what I have heard before. It is some sort of solenoid valve that fails (can't recall the name, think it is on the emissions system). I believe there is a thread somewhere on here about it, try searching for start or idle problems. I would but unfortunately I am on a satellite connection on a ship and it is s-l-o-w! If it does turn out to be the fuel pump then you will probably be the first. If it isn't then I would recommend finding another dealer with better troubleshooting skills.
your thinking of the purge valve solenoid. mine was just replaced. threw a CEL before i noticed any driveability issues.

Back