magnumP5's RX-7 Build Thread

problem with that spring, is that the entire tranny needs to be dropped in order to put the new one in.

My shifter springs back if i push it to the right, but is loose if i push it to the left, with some research, the only way is to drop the tranny.
Why is that required? Do you have to disassemble the transmission or something?

Perhaps we aren't talking about the same spring? From the FSM it looks like there is a standard coil spring located in the transmission back by the shifter but I don't think that's the same one I'm referring to. The one I am referencing can be seen about halfway down the page here: http://www.mazdatrix.com/g4.htm. In the install guide it mentions installed a bushing with the spring attached so that makes me believe it has to come out somehow.

Are you talking about the shifter return spring or the wave spring on the bushings? The shifter return spring you need to gain access to the side of the shifter turret to remove the plate there.

Are you talking about the shifter return spring or the wave spring on the bushings? The shifter return spring you need to gain access to the side of the shifter turret to remove the plate there.
I think perhaps I am thinking of what you're calling a wave spring but I may be mixing two different things. Mazdatrix sells a spring, I'm not sure what it is but it's about halfway down the page I linked above. Based on its appearance I would say it's that wave spring. I have the FSM and I was looking through that and I think I see what you're calling the return spring (just looks to be a normal coil spring at the back of the shifter turret).

i just picked up an 87 NA and im going through a full rebuild on that thing yours looks pretty clean
I'll be doing the same thing. The interior is pretty clean - I'll just be doing some minor work there like replacing the torn shift boot and reupholstering the door cards (all black instead of the current '80's styling) and installing my Sparco's. You can't see it in the pictures but the exterior definitely needs some work. No accident damage but it has its fair share of door dings, paint fading and chipping so I'll likely respray the entire exterior and maybe do some body modification in the process (the fiance' actually likes the GP Sports kit).

So are the S4 and S5 wiper control modules actually different? There are a bunch for sale on eBay and very few distinguish between the two series but Mazdatrix has them listed separately with different prices (S5 being more expensive >.<).

So are the S4 and S5 wiper control modules actually different? There are a bunch for sale on eBay and very few distinguish between the two series but Mazdatrix has them listed separately with different prices (S5 being more expensive >.<).

I put a s4 into my s5...difference was that the knob was a grey instead of straight black and i had no cruise control master switch (which doesnt matter to me any way) other than that it plugged right in and the wipers worked

I put a s4 into my s5...difference was that the knob was a grey instead of straight black and i had no cruise control master switch (which doesnt matter to me any way) other than that it plugged right in and the wipers worked
Sounds good. The one on eBay *looks* like a S5 but it's hard to tell. I need to stop looking through eBay as I'm finding all sorts of goodies. There's currently a GTUs rear end (viscous LSD + 4.30 ratio) for like $260 + shipping. I'm not a fan of viscous LSD's but I've been eyeballing the Torsen unit Mazdatrix sells for the N/A rear...

Sounds good. The one on eBay *looks* like a S5 but it's hard to tell. I need to stop looking through eBay as I'm finding all sorts of goodies. There's currently a GTUs rear end (viscous LSD + 4.30 ratio) for like $260 + shipping. I'm not a fan of viscous LSD's but I've been eyeballing the Torsen unit Mazdatrix sells for the N/A rear...

yeah i almost picked up a gtus diff myself but the guy sold it out from under me...quite glad i got the s4 clutch type instead

So the S4 diff is bette then the S5 or what

depends on what you prefer or are looking for. S4 Na's that actually had a LSD in them got a clutch type diff...the more torque you send to it the harder it locks up (if your drifting this is a must have over the viscous or torsen type diffs) The S5 and all turbos (i am pretty positive all turbos got the viscous i am pretty sure they never got a clutch type) got a viscous type diff which means its slower to lock up when your rear starts slipping. The clutch type diffs can wear out although the discs are still available for them where as the viscous is pretty much good for life.

I actually really do not like clutch-type LSD's. Mainly for the reason you mentioned above (they require regular maintenance) but also the few cars I've driven with them had a lot of torque so those suckers locked FAST! Viscous LSD's make good daily driver's due to their laggy nature but they lose their effectiveness at high temperatures. In my opinion it's Torsen FTW. Sure they can't really handle more than ~500 ft-lbs but it's not like I've ever be in that region with the RX-7.

I'm still leaning towards the screaming N/A route (bridgeport with lightweight everything and a 4.30 rear end with torsen LSD) but the TII swap still temps me. I just don't like how I can't get the torsen LSD with the turbo rear end. Either way I'll be looking for 4-port housings as I hear the 6-ports are crap for both N/A and turbo and don't improve well with porting.

Currently eyeballing a rebuilt wiper switch and full Energy Suspension kit on eBay. Wheels should arrive in the U.S. shortly then I will need to pick up the tires and coilovers (probably just go with BC Racing BR types now).

Rebuild the wiper switch and save some bills. I'll PM you the link.

Bridgeports are mean good way to squeeze out every last HP an NA can make. Sorry if you already stated this but if you are going that route is this going to be a track car because i hear bridgeports take away daily drive ability.

Rebuild the wiper switch and save some bills. I'll PM you the link.

Bridgeports are mean good way to squeeze out every last HP an NA can make. Sorry if you already stated this but if you are going that route is this going to be a track car because i hear bridgeports take away daily drive ability.
I'm fairly certain I will be staying N/A unless I find a really good deal on everything required for the TII swap (engine, transmission, rear end, ECU, etc...). I'm just not sure I want to deal with all the turbo stuff again. Staying N/A I'll be going with a large street port or a bridge port on turbo 4-port housings. I've seen people street bridgeports and really, as long as it can maintain an idle I don't care. It's not like I'm looking for a lot of power either. 225 whp would make me happy.

So something has really been bothering me lately. Did the GTUs and TurboII S5 models have sdifferent side skirts than the other models. When I look at some pictures, the side skirts seem to "stick out" a little further (ie, they have a little flare) and hang a little lower. Perhaps this was a later option? I just see some GTUs's and TurboII's and it looks like they have a body kity per se...

EDIT: Compare the pictures below to the similar angle I posted on the first page...

23910e5f.jpg

BTW, this is the same wheel/tire setup I am planning on running.

Last edited:
I think the only difference between say a GXL was the lighter chassis, no sunroof, better gearing ratio (5th i think), the stock rims are the same as the tii, (correct me if i'm wrong)
I don't think they had a different side skirts. I'll look into it and see.

Edit:

The Tii does come with side skirts, and front-lip, but i don't believe the gtus came with them. I'm sure it is just one of those things you get for a non tii to make it look better, or to make a more complete tii swap or whatever.

Last edited:
I think the only difference between say a GXL was the lighter chassis, no sunroof, better gearing ratio (5th i think), the stock rims are the same as the tii, (correct me if i'm wrong)
I don't think they had a different side skirts. I'll look into it and see.

Edit:

The Tii does come with side skirts, and front-lip, but i don't believe the gtus came with them. I'm sure it is just one of those things you get for a non tii to make it look better, or to make a more complete tii swap or whatever.

The tii didn't have different side skirts or front lip from any of the na cars. It may just be the angle of the pictures

Also the gtus gear box was the exact same as the other na's it was the rear end ratio that was different (4.3 as opposed to the 4.1) but your right about the wheels.

Ohh as a side note the only "stock sideskirt" was the aero kit add on that certain s4's got as an option. They were little rubber nubs towards the back corners (along with a metal undertray and I believe the sport duckbill wing which all lowered the coefficient of drag)

Maybe Mazda did a little refreshing after 1989 then? I don't know the year of the car in the picture I posted above but if you look at the moulding just below the "GTUs" decal and compare it to the same region on my car you'll see there is some difference. I know the S4's had an aero package option, but I keep reading conflicting information regarding an S5 aero option on the Turbo models (front lip and sides skirts as mentioned above). Mazdatrix sells the front lip as a factory Mazda part (with factory paint as well).

The car you posted is an S5. The moulding have the line in there offset. The S4 are down the middle. The lip on the car pictured looks like the Odura lip we sell.

Latest posts

Back