Loud on startup?

lwh1993

:
2005 Mazda Tribute AWD V6
My CX-5 sounds really loud on start up; much louder than my 2005 tribute. It really sounds bad, very rattley and I've only had it two weeks. My wife has a 2009 Chevy HHR and I expected my 2014 CX-5 to be much more refined.

That's normal. Higher rev and loud start up is completely normal for Mazda Skyactiv. Think there is something about it on the manual if I recall correctly.

Read the manual it's normal. The computer retards exhaust valve timing when first started for 30 seconds or less to quickly warm up the catalytic converter for emissions, which for that brief time makes the engine sound like crap. This is because of the long tube headers (none of your other cars have this) cool the exhaust. It's the compromise Mazda made to be able to run 13-1 compression with 87 octane and super high efficiency. The engine is also louder than those other engines when warm because of the direct injection, which runs up to 3000 psi vs 50 psi and MPFI on your other old school engines. This is the price you pay for diesel like efficiency on 87 octane fuel and still be able to meet emissions standards.

I guess I wouldn't expected "loud engine" as something that would be in the manual. Oh well I learned something new.

Back