Lost 5th gear (synchro?)

Kapurnicus

:
1999 Mazda Protege ES 1.8L Manual
Hey guys!
I lost 5th over the weekend. It popped out a few times, and then was just gone (kinda works when you hold it in). Im sure the synchro was the original problem, but I'm worried the whole gear isn't working now. I have trouble (near impossible) to get it to reverse now too. Been driving it for 2 days as a 4 speed lol (haven't gone over 50). It's a 1999 Mazda Protege ES (1.8L).

Do I need to drop the whole tranny?
If so, what do I need to replace while I'm in there? I would like to buy all the parts before hand (I want to do the clutch while I'm in there, seems stupid not to). I have never done anything of this magnitude, but love to learn. I found this howto http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...all-Tranny-and-LSD-or-disassemble-gears/page3 about dropping the tranny, its not my exact model, but should be at least a half useful guide. I just need to know if I have any other options (I know in the ZX2 I used to have there was a way to access 5th without dropping the tranny) and what all I should replace if I am in there (5th grinded a bit when I was holding it in, I should probably replace that gear, should I do them all? What else should I buy and or replace. I know nothing, so any seals or anything you can list that need to be replaced would be helpful!).

Thanks everyone, I want to do this properly the first time.

the synchro is what lets it go into gear but its sounding like the gears are catching at all if it falls right back out, idk how that trans is built but it might just need a new gear on one of the sides, if you have the equipment to do so i would recommend dropping it and pulling it apart and pray for no metal shavings in the bottom

If I were going to drop it, I would probably buy a kit that comes with all the synchros, gaskets, and bearings. I would also replace 5th and reverse (since I seem to grind those the most) and replace the clutch. Someone also suggested I may have a damaged shift fork. I will not know the extent of the damage until I get in there. I was just wondering what all I should replace while it is already out. I have never done a job this large before and don't want to have to drop it again in 20K miles because I forgot something.

you are on a good path. the shift fork could be an issue if you have been grinding gears alot. its all a matter of how much you want to spend. if you take it down and find out its alot a little things, you may want to look into a used trans, might be cheaper then replacing everything in that one

5th/rev is on the outside of the bell housing so the tranny doesn't need to be pulled. Remove the left side wheel and fenderliner to get to the cap on the end of the tranny. You'll need new input and output shaft nuts but I'm also guessing a 5th/rev shift fork which can all be done on the car.

If all of that can be done on the car there is NO reason to pull it. lol, Everything that I am having issues with is in that range. Where can I get input output shaft nuts? If I need a new 5th and reverse, or shift fork should I get those from a stealership? I'm guessing I have to drain the fluid to open that up. I have no idea what I'm looking for lol

Thanks, guys. This is great news. I didn't want to pull it if I didn't have to.

What transmissions fit into my 99 protege 1.8L?

Turns out the fluid somehow ran out. I changed it not too long back and torqued the drain plug back to spec. I don't know how it vanished, but it did. I'd say there is probably some bad damage. I would like a second tranny just so I can play with this one but I don't know what years will fit in mine. Is it only 99-2000 in my Protege 99 1.8 ES or are there multiple years I could buy from (possibly other vehicles as well, sometimes I know there are ford Overlaps).

Back