looking into getting a mazda 3

tweety2300

:
2001 mazda protege mp3
im looking into getting a mazda 3 hatch. what is a decent year and milage for an automatic preferably with a sunroof ive seen some 2006s go for as much as 10,000 with 80k miles and what are major problems that they have? thanks for any help

I bought an 06 in Feb. with 99k have 110k now, spent $8700 no problems so far. Knock on wood!

I have had my '06 3 since november '08, i have about 75k and have not had any problems, great car, handles very well, a lot of fun to drive. Any year is a good year though, at least in my opinion.

when you say handles well do you mean up there with the mp3? its what we have now just kinda tired of it

Personally I have driven slugs compared to my 3. I am still surprised every time I drive it. Not sure how it would compare to an MP3. I would say close.?.

sweet were sposed to be going to look around this weekend if i decide to get one ill post some pics for yall to drule over :)

I think in 2008 they put the 5 speed auto as standard, so as for as auto's go thats the one you want, previously they were 4 speeds under most options.
I bought an 08 touring hatch with leather etc in may with 32k on it one owner for 13600.

our budget is about 10,000 any major problems that are usual with all mazda 3s? like trans or engine problems

The only problem my 3 has its abnormally hard to get dead stripper smell out of it. Possibly the ineterior retains the stench more than others.

thats nothing fabreeze cant fix unless it stains easily too then ima have to get a new hobby. but i know some people have issues with the plastic intake manifold

I picked an '07 with 17K miles on it a couple months ago for $14K. Sport trim level with a 5-spd ATX. No problems, but I'm only at 20K miles as of today.

if it can make it 2 years with out having a major problem ( something i cant fix myself) itl be worth it to me. what are some good things you can do to it to give it a little omph especially top end where all 4 cylinders fall flat on their face. ive already been baned from tearing into the motor unless neccesary

as posted before i have an 06 hatch with 76k and no issues so far, i have had it since November 08. its not a speed :( but its a BLAST to drive!

OK, you want reliability, go check on the mazda5 forums, since they are the same car with the same motor (just a heavier body)...likewise, whatever would go wrong would go wrong on the 5 first because the motors working a little harder.

Bought a 2004 3 hatch new, 20k miles on her no issues.
Bought an 05 3 i (2.0L) new, 40k miles no issues)
Bought a 2006 5 new, 20k no issues)
Bought a 2006 5 used (21k drove to 60k) no issues
Bought a 2008 5 used (8k-22k no issues still own)
Bought a 2008 3 used (30k -36k no issues still own)

Now...there are minor issues with all of them...over time, say 40k miles they all start to be a little noisier on road noise....like the bearings or the crappy roads have made the tires or wheels louder...but generally, the older they are, the louder they become....and its hella easy to pop a tire\bend a rim with the 17" wheels, the 16"s have more rubber and you can jump railroad tracks with them (yes...I did this).

Hope this helps.

Hey y'all, I'm new to the forum, currently trying to sell my car and wishing for a Mazda 3. My Neon is fun to drive, but I'm hoping to find another fun car that's good on gas and better-built, so I won't be constantly dealing with leaks (water in, oil out).

However, the 3 I'm leaning towards, which got me looking into Mazda 3s to begin with, is a former Hertz rental. My theory is that I'm no grandma driver, so how much harder could they really have driven it? but perhaps my imagination is lacking. Plus, I've read some good things about buying rental cars (supposedly good price on well maintained vehicles)...but at the same time, I'm a little hesitant about buying a "sporty" rental. What are your thoughts on former rental cars?

The one I was leaning towards is this one (2+ hours away from me):

http://www.hertzbillings.com/adw/used_cars/Montana/Billings/2009/Mazda/Mazda3/090117398

And then I found this one (6+ hours away from me):

http://www.mcdonaldmazda.com/vehicle/certified/70028-JM1BK32FX91239875/2009-Mazda-Mazda3.htm

Both are 2009 Mazda 3 i in Copper Red Mica, but the 1st one has manumatic shifting, and the 2nd one appears to be a normal automatic shifter. Was that an option, or is there a chance they're different trim levels? Any ideas on why the 2nd car is less miles and certified, but the 1st car costs more? Obviously the 1st car is more conveniently located. My budget is loosely set at $15k, but I feel more comfortable at the $12-13k mark. Any advice pros & cons between the two or if I should keep looking (and why), would be greatly appreciated! (My husband is sick of hearing about it.) (rolleyes)

Edited to add: or I could go another direction altogether: Subaru Impreza 2.5i or Ford Focus SEL. Thoughts?

Last edited:
fleera, I'm a noob as well, just buying an 08 3s Sport a month ago. Couldn't get the Hertz link to come up but the second car sure looks like a manual to me (3 pedals and the shifter). Even tho I'm an old fart the car is a blast to drive! Quick steering and sticks well in corners. Used to work at a Subaru dealership so be prepared to replace oil seals in a Sub motor at around 70K miles. I looked at a Focus before buying the 3...the Mazda uses the same platform as the 2012 Focus so the current model is the older platform (if I'm not mistaken) and suited more to the average American driver (comfort not speed). Didn't test drive the 2.0 engine but the 2.3 is very peppy. Good luck in your search!

Back