LILRACERONBOARD'S Build thread

:
03 KLZE Mazda Protege

SO I haven't been around for a really long time, but I have done quite a few things in the short time that I've had my car. I regret not doing this since the beginning since I cannot remember everything I have done to my baby and I have lost pictures over time from changing phones, but I will try my best!!!

When I bought her she had a blown engine(I know, not common at all with proteges) with the money I had saved from working during high school. Yes, she was my first car. The previous owner had started on her and gave some of the foundation. I bought her with a vis carbon fiber hood(with serious clear coat fade), headers, fart can exhaust, eibach lowering springs, and some msr wheels
attachment.php

OK now for an engine bay pic of when we gave her a new heart
attachment.php

And now the mods as I remember them with pics if available

wet sanded and cleared the horrible hood
attachment.php

Then I bought some wheels Enkei EKM3's, but no pictures, 18x7.5. I know that's kinda big
Up next was the sacred(to non-speed sedan owners) OEM sedan lip
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0146[1].jpg
    IMAG0146[1].jpg
    326 KB · Views: 943
  • IMAG0147[1].jpg
    IMAG0147[1].jpg
    513 KB · Views: 455
  • IMAG0312[1].jpg
    IMAG0312[1].jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 943
  • IMAG0242-1-1[1].jpg
    IMAG0242-1-1[1].jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 930
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I kinda forgot but this was before the wheels and sedan lip. I powder coated my valve cover..... red!
attachment.php

But moving on, I hope Im not boring you already... I don't know how to put up pictures that are already opened up.

next was my hid fog lights from top hids 5k I believe no pictures of that alone so ill combine it with my sideskirts that I got already in sunlight silver!!!
attachment.php

Somewhere along this time I had bought a 3 piece set of shift boot, e-brake boot, and armrest cover from redline goods. All in carbon fiber vynl silver and black with a carbon fiber shifter.

Then I got started on my RETROFITS. I bought a D2S complete kit from the retrofitsource
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0221[1].jpg
    IMAG0221[1].jpg
    253 KB · Views: 969
  • IMAG0293-1-1[1].jpg
    IMAG0293-1-1[1].jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 930
  • IMAG0414[1].jpg
    IMAG0414[1].jpg
    336 KB · Views: 931
  • IMAG0416[1].jpg
    IMAG0416[1].jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 927
Last edited:
Up next is me being ungrateful with what I have and wanting to get something better.... I bought a P5 bumper... yellow!!!
attachment.php

Believe me wet sanding sucks especially prepping for a whole different color. But it got done and it got done right!
attachment.php

And it wasn't just a bumper it was also, a OEM msp lip custom painted spicy orange, a rear 03.5 lip in titanium grey. they all got painted in one day in my friends garage lol.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0448[1].jpg
    IMAG0448[1].jpg
    618.9 KB · Views: 916
  • IMAG0454[1].jpg
    IMAG0454[1].jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 922
  • IMAG0471[1].jpg
    IMAG0471[1].jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 912
  • IMAG0473[1].jpg
    IMAG0473[1].jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 910
  • IMAG0474[1].jpg
    IMAG0474[1].jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 611
Last edited by a moderator:
So I bought some Neo Chrome horns because I needed to be heard when I did honk, and plus they look great!

Up next was getting that big hole on the side of my bumper where factory p5 reflectors went. But.... I didn't like those so I went with the Toyota Celica ones. Much smaller and they came blacked out already. That was a win win for me

At this point only about a year has passed and I can say ive made some progress. The car to me looked great and obviously all my "mods" were aesthetic ones. Now I wanted some pep in my step. I wanted to go a little bit faster and the N.A fsde was just not cutting it. I was debating between the OEM turbo kit or the v6 KL swap that everyone talks about! For a while I couldn't make up my mind. But then I got a sign and if this doesn't scream do the v6 swap then idk what would've. My friend told me his friend was selling a JDM KLZE swapped Mazda MX6 for only $1800. I went to go check it out and I came home with this baby!

Last edited:
Up next to do was to make room for this V6 that didn't belong so I relocated the battery to the trunk with the help of a friend. And boy did it look clean!

This picture to me is the last picture I had of her running and in god shape. After this her timing belt broke while I was driving to work, she had a major oil leak at the back of engine somehere, and at the oil pan. kept replacing gaskets but it was to no help. I was losing all her oil in less then three weeks time. I was pretty fed up and frustrated and I said eff it! let the swap begin!!

From here on my car hasn't been used since August of 2013. The swap officially begins.

Started buying all the cool stuff to get this engine swap going in the right direction. Bought a megasquirt standalone system for all things management, a Dakota digital for the tachometer, and the Aem wideband.

Then I started getting the engine to look pretty so I painted he manifold and PROTEGEDUDE25 powder coated the valve covers for me

bought some gauge rings from the forum made by hydra. Hail Hydra lol

Christmas time and I asked for a Subaru carbon fiber roof wing and some hood latches for my since my c.f hood would hop too much on the highway.

I got around to installing the gauge rings on a msp gauge cluster along with a carbon fiber overlay I put in there as well

There was a moment I was not working on the motor, but its because I had ordered some cams for the KL. Tri-FLow Colt Cams are in!

Soon there after the engine was put together, new head gaskets, head bolts, water pump, timing belt tensioners, etc... you name it, it got done

And there she is, inside the car. The new heart

Since the beginning of the car I put the Fsde in with Front and rear AWR motor mounts and AWR mount inserts to both side mounts. Which by coincidence came handy with mounting the bigger/heavier KL. She also has headers and is now cammed thanks to me :)

Last edited:
well that is it for today ill be picking up on this later, but I hope you guys are enjoying this so far. believe me I have a long ways to go until I get to "Present" time and I got to go be a member of society lol.

Now me being me well of course I went back to aesthetics for a little bit and bought some new goodies which included, but not limited to since I cant remember everything. BC Racing BR type coilovers, New Enkei Kojin 17x9 +30, Wrapped in Falken tires, carbon fiber side skirt splitters from Mazdaproject.com, DG carbon fiber mirror covers I also sent off my headlight internals and 03.5 wing to a guy in Washington state to make them all carbon fiber replicas.

You can see that the wheels and coilovers came out great, the splitters have yet to be put on. And im sure your wondering. What about the Custom carbon fiber 03.5 wing and headlight internals. Well those were almost if not already done, but the guy fabricating them deleted his profile stopped answering calls and then stole my stuff.

Last edited:
Since the car was more or less mechanically sound I put her on a trailer and left her with a friend in Houston to do the Megasquirt standalone system wiring for the car, and if all went to plan It would come back running.

BUT.... things don't always go how you want them to and after a month or so of wiring, he was able to get to turn on once. And sadly the effing megasquirt gave out and fried somewhere.

Back