license plate "bumpers"?

garyd9

:
'14 Sky Blue CX-5 GT w/ Tech
At least in the US, there are only two mounting holes for attaching a license plate. This results in the bottom of that metal license plate slamming against the hatch every time the hatch is slammed closed or a bump in the road is hit. My previous car had little rubber pieces in place of the lower tag holes that would prevent this type of thing. The CX-5 doesn't, and I'm concerned that over time it'll result in scratching the paint (which, in turn, can lead to rust.)

Is there any type of rubber or soft plastic product (or bumper?) that can be stuck to the back of a metal tag to soften the impact? Obviously, both the product and any adhesive would have to be weather proof. I considered using the door edge guards that are commonly sold, but they wouldn't fit around a tag frame.

Thanks,
Gary

(Please don't reply if you intend to criticize how I close my hatch, how I drive, etc.)

this:
3m molding tape. Weather proof enough for the molding.

i've done that on many of my cars over the years. works great. stick a small square under each corner opposite the mounting bolts and you'll never have a rattling license plate again.

stick a small square under each corner opposite the mounting bolts and you'll never have a rattling license plate again.

So you actually are taping the plate to the car? I never even considered that. If you need to remove the plate, how hard is it to get the molding tape off? (dental floss to break the tape, and goo gone to clean the mess?)

Now I'm wondering if I could use the same molding tape to attach a strip of rubber to the back of the metal plate. That would allow me to easily take the plate off, but should protect the car's paint. (It would also make it easier to change the tag frame when (US) football season ends and prepare for hockey season.

...and hope the OP doesnt mind me borrowing his thread for a bit
Actually, I do mind. I wouldn't mind if it was even remotely related to the original post... However, it's not. Why not try starting a new thread? Not only would you get more relevant views, but you wouldn't have to deal with people harassing you for trying to hijack a thread.

Take care
Gary

Actually, I do mind. I wouldn't mind if it was even remotely related to the original post... However, it's not. Why not try starting a new thread? Not only would you get more relevant views, but you wouldn't have to deal with people harassing you for trying to hijack a thread.

Take care
Gary

sorry man. meant no harm. All fixed.

So you actually are taping the plate to the car? I never even considered that. If you need to remove the plate, how hard is it to get the molding tape off? (dental floss to break the tape, and goo gone to clean the mess?)

Now I'm wondering if I could use the same molding tape to attach a strip of rubber to the back of the metal plate. That would allow me to easily take the plate off, but should protect the car's paint. (It would also make it easier to change the tag frame when (US) football season ends and prepare for hockey season.

i don't use plate frames on my car, unless they are blank. yes, you are actually taping the plate to the car. a small square of 3M trim tape will still allow the plate to be removed quite easily. if it won't let go with a gentle tug, park the car with the plate in the sun to let it heat up a bit and try again. as far as getting any residue off, its behind the plate, who cares :D

GT lic pl fr.JPGNot concerned, even though I do use a plate frame (GT).

FYI the official Mazda license plate frames come with an adhesive backed foam strip about 8" long that you put on the bottom of the license plate so it doesn't touch the car body. Also has round foam risers that you put behind the screw holes for the top part also.
It'll still wiggle and rattle because the license plate and plate frame touch, but it doesn't touch the car body.

I ended up picking up some rubber stock (I think it originally was a piece used to cover stair steps) and cut it into 1/2 inch strips. I then used automotive molding tape to secure the rubber strips to the back of the license plate. This seems to absorb the impacts. :)

Back