Just installed turbo and need help!!!!

SIBalla23

ASE Certified Technician
:
2002 Mazda Protege ES
Lets start from the begining. I have a 2002 protege es, automatic transmission. During the past year I have gathered all the parts for the turbo build. Put all of them in this week. Mods are:
OEM MSP Turbo and manifold
Corksport S and J pipe
Turbohoses Sri
Turbohoses Smic with hardpipes
Forge bpv and Hks bov
Lentech valvebody with synthetic fluid and trans cooler
SS AFC
Msp oil cooler
Autometer boost gauge, trans temp, and wideband

Anyways I got it all in. Started car and no leaks. At idle in park the vacuum read at about 18-19. When in drive and sitting at stop light its at 15. My afr is at 16 at idle and cruising when not in boost. When in boost it was in between 10-11. Does my vacuum and afr seem normal because I don't think it is? Need input please

I have not played around with the afc. I haven't even hooked it up to a laptop yet. I was told that it was preprogramed.

20-22 is what I see on my autometer gauge at idle. So I'd say you are ok with your vacuum reading at idle and when you have the brakes on with the automatic.

You might want to check the AFC tuning thread to see what others are getting for AF readings.

That's going to be a nice setup when you get it dialed in with little to no boost drop off when the auto changes gears.

A little lean but should be ok out of boost. Do you have stock wastegate and any boost controller on it manual or electronic what is boost pressure at WOT

Internal wasgate off the turbo. Running boost from that. At wot it maxed out at like 5-6psi

sounds like boost gauge is ok check for vacuum leaks though 15 at idle in drive at idle is bit low and also low at idle in park should see 20-22

1 - AFR might have been tuned for MSP - which runs rich thats why you see 16 AFR on idle , you should change it at something ~15 AFR or live it like it but when you're in highway and idle and decide to gun it be carefull

2 - Vacume isn't bad , like it was mentioned I too have mine around 20-22.

gOOD LUCK.

I still got to get a cable to connect the laptop to afc and see what the values are for the afc but for now no fast crap with the car, just cruise till i can maybe get a little lower afr when out of boost

Nope , not necessary but other things are taken in the account.

Check vacume lines as well.

And yes the MSP idle is ~14.7 AFR. thats why ~15 AFR would do too.

Otherwise at wot it was between 10-11 afr which seems to be ok under boost.

O yea I forgot to mention, the egr tube is not connected to the turbo mani. Its a long story but I got the mani blocked off and the egr tube is open. Would that make my afr more lean since the egr is not sending back exhaust gas to get reburned?

Well, EGR is little tricky but at any rate you have EMS which can help you fix AFR's so why are you sweating about it ??

Change it to what you want.

Yes I know that and I will once I buy a cable to connect to laptop. Today I got a cel for PO134 which is for o2 sensor bank1 sensor 1 no activity. I think it was possible that when putting the ecu back into the place one of the wires might have came out from its connector. I got to check on that this week.

having a bad o2 would cause things to act weird, espcially the primary one. change that since the ss afc is relying on that and the maf sensor to work properly

Back