Just got a Protege5 Looking for some help

^^^
This explains why that specialty came back to a 1993 Protege out of Overland Park, KS. Did you just swap plates or have you notified the DMV yet?

Yes that is correct. As you can see on the pictures above I had it held on with zip ties. My other bolts weren't the same threads:)

I put that plate on to make sure it was drivable and safe. And to see if this was the car I wanted to keep or not. I believe I have 30 or 60 days to notify the DMV. I could be wrong on that. But it doesn't matter now as sadly I can't have both cars and I will be selling the P5. Neither the 93 nor the p5 will be large enough for 3 kiddos. So it will be back to driving my F150.

I now have to go to the DMV to get it everything finalized. Still have to find some time to do that... At least here you can check in online now and not have to go wait in line for a long long time. It is much better. They actually will send you text messages letting you know when its about your turn. Very nice system. Took a couple of months to get it working though...

Last edited:
Man, kids are such little blessings that ruin your fun. I personally would keep one of these Mazdas, probably the P5. You got that car for a steal at $500 and with the sweat equity you put into it, it probably will pay for itself over the years when you need an extra vehicle.

Man, kids are such little blessings that ruin your fun. I personally would keep one of these Mazdas, probably the P5. You got that car for a steal at $500 and with the sweat equity you put into it, it probably will pay for itself over the years when you need an extra vehicle.

Boy you are right. The kids are so much fun though. A different kind of fun for sure. Yeah the 93 was a steal. My wife and I have tossed it back and forth for the last few months and we have both decided on the 93. Strange as before when I got the P5 she said she wanted to keep that one;) My oldest son, 3 years old wants me to keep the 93 as well. But after fixing up the P5 it should bring us some more money to pay for these little ones. They are expensive:)

I am going to keep the 93. It costs me nothing and is a perfect car to drive back and forth to work in. And when I am not picking up or taking the boys to day care, I will be able to drive it. It has been my daily driver now for 7 months. And I really enjoy it honestly. Fun little car. And it is very solid underneath. Here is my thread on that car. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123845010-1993-Protege-LX-Project-Daily-Driver

As you said it after I have put the sweat equity into these cars, I should keep one. I know they are both going to be reliable cars now.

Thanks for your input! I really enjoyed this forum. Such a great place to get help. Some are really bad about being rude and this one is NOT that for sure.

I can't wait to get it detailed and cleaned up and get those final glamor shots. It was 0F this morning and should be in the upper 50's tomorrow and mid 60's Saturday. I might have to take off work early friday;)

Okay here are some of the glamor shots. After I got her cleaned up I took her for a little spin. I am going to miss this car. I like the sporty ride and handling.

Anyway on to some glamor shots.

Last edited:
And you still want to get rid of it ... hmm. If CA wasn't such an a stickler for emissions I'd bring it here!

I wish my S/O was as handy, but he looks cute so that's sufficient for now.

Well I do want to keep it but needs and wants are two very different things...

Really the bones of this car is really good. It just needed some love. Glad to have saved this car from the junk yard. it was about a week away from getting towed away...

Now I should finalized the deal today. Really nice guy is buying it. I will let you all know.

Thanks again for all the help. Maybe I will find another one of these someday. I like a unique different car. And this fits the bill. You just don't see to many of them on the road.

The car is officially sold. Sold it to a super nice guy. Hopefully he will enjoy the car very much. Again thanks for all the help here fellas.

Glad to have had this car for a bit. It is a blast to drive! Sporty, tons of room, and great handling. Plus I think they look great as well!

I see that you have an automatic, but I don't see the PRNDL on the cluster. Was that an option that came only with the Sport-shift?

Yes, I have as well. One at the junk yard was an 03 and it had a different shifter, some bigger cup holders and that indicator on the dash. My 02 does not. Similar with the other 02 at the Junk yard

Wolf, what paint did you use as the base coat?

I just used the standard white for Ford/Mazda at the autoparts store. Match was 100% right. And I am very particular. The reason I was able to do that was I had that old white hatch. I had some of that paint already and tested it out on that. Worked perfect.

Back