Jdm engine timing belt

Black Dragon

:
2002 Mazda P5
Hello,

I'm new to the sight but the local sight, TOProtege, is starting to become dated. I bought a JDM FS engine last year. After putting a lot of miles on it my check engine light came on with a too lean code. I went to change my timing belt (after doing the plugs, and O2 sensors) only to find that my head is about 1/4" shorter than the North American 2.0l. Has anyone run into this issue in the past and is there someplace I can buy a JDM timing belt. I've looked at older 626's, Probe's, etc and they all come back with the same timing belt#.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

I've looked my engine over. The only difference from the engine I took out, is the stamping on the head. The engine I'm running has FS3 on it and the one sitting in my garage is FS9. Does anyone know what the difference is? I'm assuming the engine is a 2L because it says FS and not FP.

The only difference between an FSZE and an FSDE is the pistons and intake manifold.

The FP has less stroke than an FS, so it would make sense if the block is a little shorter.

You are absolutely correct Mr.Giggles, I got scammed and ended up with an FP. So I'm getting fantastic fuel mileage but am down on power, not really enough to notice too much. I've had the engine for over a year now and couldn't take it back if I wanted to. I recently swapped my FP into a body that was in better shape. The new to me body was towed, backwards while the tranny was in first, so the clutch is totally gone. Would that affect the engine in any way? My thought is to build the FS that came out while I drive the FP and then swap it out when the time comes. Any thoughts?

The FP is a good engine. I am running 5psi, and the engine loves it. If you build the FS spend the money and buy quality parts.

I don't want some stupid insane build that I can't get the most out of. I would be happy if I can get somewhere between 140-150 at the wheels while still keeping it NA and very reliable. I understand that it will take time and money and yes it will be quality parts. I will be looking for input for advice and your expertise. Would the FS that came in the 2002 I just got have a forged crank?

Back