It Fits! COBB Filter Swap

Tonight I replaced the Blue Oiled Filter with a Fujita F5 Dry Filter and added an Injen Water Sock. And they all fit. The Water Sock is a little big, but it does the job. Its raining now, and I feel a little more confident in not getting the filter totally soaked with rain water.

No real change in sound, maybe just a bit quieter. Sucking sound is different though, maybe because of the spooling effect from the horn shape?. Car might be a little bit quicker also using the butt dyno.

Dashhawk reads Ambient and IAT are the same over 30mph, but after 1 min it gets up there. I.e. at 30mph it was 54F and sucking 54F, at a short 1 min halt IAT went up to 86F. Doesn't take long for heat soak with SRI, imagine if it was summer.

With that said, I can't wait for the COBB Box. But I hope the Fujita fits or back to the Blue Filter. Blue Filter is shorter than Fujita. I think the Fujita is a better filter- just hope the plastic from the air horn doesn't break off and go into the engine. That would be BAD.

nuff said.

Here are two photos. One with Sock and one without Sock. Maybe you'll notice the difference in length between original Blue Filter and F5 Filter.

Attachments

• DSC_0287.JPG
    DSC_0287.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC_0288.JPG
    DSC_0288.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 269
Precautions Sake.

Old Honda had Iceman in SRI mode. Took car into the car wash. When it was time to leave, the car wouldn't start. Intake made a weird loud single burp type sound. Opened the hood. Filter was soaked. It eventually started, but unknown to this day if or how much water the Honda sucked in while I was trying to start it. Never went back to the car wash.

Have fear of something like that happening to my MS3. If I don't need it, then cool, but if it happens to get wet in there somehow, the cone is protected. Sound about right?

I would say No. Initially I thought it would, but it doesn't even move (suck-in) closer to the cone at WOT. That tells me vacuum is pretty much free flowing. I would use it for CAI full time. I put it on only when weather is bad.

$20 for filter at cardomain.com, but they just closed their retail shop and they are improving it into a amazon.com version. Sock was $10.

WOW!! No way, the sock on Injen's website is $30!!!

What size did you get?

I just ordered one for my MS CAI... I chose blue and medium size... I hope it will be big enough.
I thought about getting the large...but I have a feeling the MS CAI does not come with a large filter... ???

Last edited:
At $10 bucks I bought 2. One to fit the Fujita (large) and another to fit the Cobb (small in height, medium in width). The one that fits the Cobb is very snug, almost doesn't fit. But I won't need it since I'll eventually get the Cobb box, once that's offered. (I got it just in case the Fujita didn't fit the Cobb SRI.)

In all honesty the design and material are not to die for. Workmanship in sewing is top notch. But they aren't designed to last forever, nor do they cost more than $6 bucks to manufacture. But, Injen has to make a dollar some how. They've got huge RD overhead, like most companies.

Speaking of which- the Chevy HHR SS is out now anybody kill that yet? How about the Caliber SRT4?

Not that I don't like Chevy (I own a Venture, yeah a minivan, and its my second Venture) or Dodge as a US Company, I just think they make bad decisions. I mean come on- Some people think our cars look like shoes, but those two things are horrendous to the point I want to puke. Straight up Fugly. I mean the Viper and Corvette are gorgeous looking cars, but their siblings need serious help. Okay, I sense the hate is on the way... Time to hit PQR.

i did this same swap, actually, and i got about the same thing. it's not very different from the stock setup other than a possible slight muffling of the intake. the only reason i did it was because i had originally planned to make my own intake, but canned that idea before the filter came in...good thing it fit properly on the cobb...^^;

Back