Is protege5 worth buying?

Bought mine before I even knew how to drive stick. My dad had to drive it home. And I taught myself. Easy.

kura808 said:
another difference between '02s and '02.5s is that '02s have a normal automatic transmission while the '02.5s started to have sportautos xD
Sport Autos FTW!

arim416 said:
I almost bought it!! god almost!
i just went to check the black 2002 protege5 out ..only 21000 miles on it.
I drove for 40 minutes, and when i saw the car, i was so excited because it looks like a brand new car. (no joke...it's in demo mode).
When I sit in there....i was shocked because it's a stick shift.....which he forgot to mention and i forgot to ask.
The sales tried to convince me that he can teach me on the spot...
but i know i wouldn't be able to love that stick shift car so I just left...
I was very disappointed and sad...............
guess I will have to wait..

I wish I would've gotten a stick...

You know you can always use it as a negotiation tactic and get them to knock a good 500-1000 off because of your inconvenience :)

The P5 is a surprisingly sporty car, but you'll only experience half its sportiness w/an atx.

Unless I lose my right arm in a horrible accident, I will never own a car without a mtx.

I have an 03, approx 40,000 miles. My wife now drives the car and she enjoys it. She too had to learn how to drive stick. She was pretty intimidated but does just fine after a couple lessons.

Like all the other people have mentioned, the paint is thin and sucks. Another thing to look at is the tires, If they are the stock tires you'll probably end up replacing them soon (I replaced mine at 32K or so). I put on a little wider all-season tire which smoothed out the ride just a tad and handles 10x's better in rain and snow.

Even though the car is 4 years old, I still get people asking me what kind of car it is. It has been mistaken for a Lexus several times (!!?!).

Oh, another thing that bugs me about the car is road noise. It is quite loud, especially on long road trips. The new tires helped a tad, but it is still quite loud in the cabin. If its better/worse than your current car, I obviously cannot comment.

Overall, awsome car, and we love it.

Doogs said:
I have an 03, approx 40,000 miles. My wife now drives the car and she enjoys it. She too had to learn how to drive stick. She was pretty intimidated but does just fine after a couple lessons.

Like all the other people have mentioned, the paint is thin and sucks. Another thing to look at is the tires, If they are the stock tires you'll probably end up replacing them soon (I replaced mine at 32K or so). I put on a little wider all-season tire which smoothed out the ride just a tad and handles 10x's better in rain and snow.

Even though the car is 4 years old, I still get people asking me what kind of car it is. It has been mistaken for a Lexus several times (!!?!).

Oh, another thing that bugs me about the car is road noise. It is quite loud, especially on long road trips. The new tires helped a tad, but it is still quite loud in the cabin. If its better/worse than your current car, I obviously cannot comment.

Overall, awsome car, and we love it.
yah the roof rack will cause alot of road noise

Back