Interesting Mazda 2 Facts from the Interceptor

DaleNixon

:
2001 Miata, 2011 Mazda 2
25086280010_af53d9c1b1_b.jpg

So I installed an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge in my 2 over the weekend. I used a Mazda 3 vent pod and it fit perfectly.

Here are some interesting facts:

• The 2 has a wideband O2 sensor from the factory!
  • The 2 reports vacuum/boost!
  • I managed to hit 0.5PSI at WOT in my 2, lol!
  • The blue coolant light in your stock gauge turns off when the water temp reaches 130F!
  • Long term and short term fuel trims look very good with a Corksport intake. Good job, Corksport!

The stock O2 is similar to a wideband in the way it works, but a true wideband has a 0-5v range, not the 0-1v that our stock Lambda sensor runs at.

Otherwise that's a cool mount setup!

Watch your IATs in stop and go traffic after its been running for 20+ min some time. I've seen 120F on a 50F day before(it was more like just stop type traffic. Wreck blocking a tunnel). It drops pretty quickly once you move but it can really get up there.

Watch AAT vs IAT.

Also the AAT is a lying POS unless the car is started dead cold. The AAT heat soaks badly and when that happens, it references the IAT to guess the ambient temp. If AAT reads 80, but it is actually 60 outside, and the IAT is also heat soaked and reading 80+... The AAT will show 80 up until you get moving, then the AAT will only drop to match the IATs lowest reading. So get moving and IAT drops to 65, the AAT will drop along with it. But it I'll never get to 60(actual temp) unless your intake actually gets true ambient temperature air. In my experience after my 1hr commute I can't get the actual IAT any closer than about 5 degrees from AAT and that's only while moving. It heats up fast when full on heat soaked from an extended drive.

"Also the AAT is a lying POS unless the car is started dead cold. The AAT heat soaks badly and when that happens, it references the IAT to guess the ambient temp. If AAT reads 80, but it is actually 60 outside, and the IAT is also heat soaked and reading 80+... The AAT will show 80 up until you get moving, then the AAT will only drop to match the IATs lowest reading. So get moving and IAT drops to 65, the AAT will drop along with it. But it I'll never get to 60(actual temp) unless your intake actually gets true ambient temperature air. In my experience after my 1hr commute I can't get the actual IAT any closer than about 5 degrees from AAT and that's only while moving. It heats up fast when full on heat soaked from an extended drive."

And what the improvements for this item ? Crocksport SRI ? Cold Air Intake ?
Im very intrested if you do any improvment.

"Also the AAT is a lying POS unless the car is started dead cold. The AAT heat soaks badly and when that happens, it references the IAT to guess the ambient temp. If AAT reads 80, but it is actually 60 outside, and the IAT is also heat soaked and reading 80+... The AAT will show 80 up until you get moving, then the AAT will only drop to match the IATs lowest reading. So get moving and IAT drops to 65, the AAT will drop along with it. But it I'll never get to 60(actual temp) unless your intake actually gets true ambient temperature air. In my experience after my 1hr commute I can't get the actual IAT any closer than about 5 degrees from AAT and that's only while moving. It heats up fast when full on heat soaked from an extended drive."

And what the improvements for this item ? Crocksport SRI ? Cold Air Intake ?
Im very intrested if you do any improvment.

This is with a DDMWorks intake and a CS cold air duct. The duct still allows heat soak but it's dissipated quicker once you get moving again.

Yeah, unless you're moving the AAT somewhere else, you won't be changing that.

Right.

I was pointing out that because it's a filtered PID you won't really know what ambient really is until you've been driving around for a bit of time.

It's important because if you somehow design an intake that's not capable of getting same temp as ambient air... The AAT reading will only drop as low as your IAT gets. If it's really 70 out, your AAT is heat soaked so say it starts reading at 100, your intake isn't very good or takes insanely long to dissipate heatsoak, and while moving you only get it to 80... Your AAT will read 80. So if you take those readings at face value, you think your intake is perfectly fine and awesome because you think IAT matches AAT.

Thats what I was hinting at. For autocross logging I don't think AAT will be really accurate if you shut he car off between every run.

Sure thing, I'll do it tonight as long as I'm not stuck in traffic on the way home.

The DDMworks MAF housing mounts that filter a bit further out(K&N I don't think fits as far down the filter , so it sticks out of the air duct on the driver side about 1in. I will cut down the MAF housing some time to make it look right, but for now it's fine and does function better than no duct.

Yeah, ignore the DDMWorks sticker on the Corksport duct, I bought the duct used from Jeff at DDMWorks... Who had the whole CS setup from before he even worked there.

I just didn't remove the sticker he put on because laziness.

Back