intercooler / hardpipe setups

Before I ask, I have searched and read the majority of posts on this site relating to intercoolers and hardpipes and I know that it's been discussed a lot. My question is how much have people paid for a decent intercooler (smic or fmic) and hardpipe. I've seen anywhere from $700 - $1000 depending on anything from custom setups to tried and true aftermarket setups. I'm more interested in a good smic and hardpipe because I just want to free up some air and I'm not looking to go to 300 hp. I haven't seen this combo for less than $700 and did notice that corksport has an fmic plus hardpipe for around $800. So what have people paid for their ic / hardpipe setups?

You really don't need Hardpipes. All you want to replace is the stock hotpipe coming off the turbo with a samco silicone pipe. Leave the stock cold pipe alone, just make sure you replace the old silicone bands around the smic outlet tube and the throttle body with some bike tire tube cut to length.

^^^ I disagree. Hardpipes are a good investment on the MSP. The stock plastic pipes expand under full boost, even in stock form. Replacing them will not give earth shattering HP, but gains can be seen in the upper part of the powerband on a bone stock car with hardpipes. Give Hoover a call over at TurboHoses. I believe he has dyno sheets to back up my claims.

You really don't need Hardpipes. All you want to replace is the stock hotpipe coming off the turbo with a samco silicone pipe. Leave the stock cold pipe alone, just make sure you replace the old silicone bands around the smic outlet tube and the throttle body with some bike tire tube cut to length.

have you ever had someone rev your car while you look under the hood? you can watch the plastic pipes expand a decent amount. its quite interesting to see, and is also a good reason to upgrade to hardpipes.

have you ever had someone rev your car while you look under the hood? you can watch the plastic pipes expand a decent amount. its quite interesting to see, and is also a good reason to upgrade to hardpipes.

So what if they expand? Also, the one that mostly expands is the hot pipe based on what I've seen.

i appreciate the feedback but i'm also looking to see what people have paid for an smic with hardpipe setup, i'd like to stay below $700.

Not true, my friend. Hardpipes absorb more heat than the plastic pipes.

Agreed, metal is much more conductive.

This has been beaten to death a million times though, but there is never a satisfactory answer. It always comes down to this...

Yes metal will absorb more heat from the engine bay. But, how much heat will be absorbed when the air is passing through the pipes very quickly? I still haven't seen a good solid answer to that.

Anyways, to the OP. If you are looking for an inexpesive solution for your FMIC problem, stay tuned...http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123678740

Ok guys, you want to reduce heat transfer from engine bay to aluminum pipes, SS, etc.... thenwrap them and insulate with heat shield material. Only thing that will heat up those pipes will be ther air flowing through them. Not show time looking, but effective.

Take off the hood! LOL that would be the best!

It's always about finding balance!

i've noticed some people have posted that they've paid in the mid to high $300 range for a smic. i still can't find it for under $400, maybe they have good connections, maybe they were part of a group buy, idk.

ser cyclops - how much are you looking for the weapon r hardpipes? (i assume they're used). i'm still on the fence about the weapon r pipes as oppposed to turbohoses.

turbolife - i appreciate the inexpensive fmic route, but i think i'm going to go for a smic since i think a front mount would be overkill for what i'm trying to do.

they would be brand new but i can sell them alot cheeper than ken but with the shipping being 60 bucks your better off to get them off of protegegarage.com i can sell all kinds of things such as CF hoods shift knobs wheels and intercooler kits so on and so on Turbo timers and stuff but somtimes i cant sell it cheeper than ken. Oh and i just got where i can sell AEM widebands.

Not true, my friend. Hardpipes absorb more heat than the plastic pipes.

i got a SLS steel hot pipe and a home made cold pipe built with couplers and a stainless steel 2.5" and the theory about the pip holding heat is over rated..

at 80 F, if i give a good beating to the car and try to get heat soak ( custom msp SMIC) and then open the hood and check the cold pipe near the TB, it will be as ambient temp, even though steel holds heat better then aluminium, the SMIC is doing it's job well and the cold pipe stays cold.... if it stays cold then the air in it is as cold too..

my 2 cents :)

i am going to have to go with the tone of the group and personal experience. complete hard-pipes are important, especially if you are going to invest in a smic

I had the Samco hot pipe and the turbo hoses cold pipe. Personally I think the Turbohoses pipe is to small but it worked well for me with the stock turbo.

If you're gonna upgrade, go FMIC with hard pipes. I think the corksport FMIC kit on PG is only 799. I got the hi boost and there is a definate power gain. And now that i have hard pipes and a front mount, my boosted cold pipe stays really cold.

Back