Installing SLS Passenger side mount?

ganzhimself

:
2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv Hatch
I bought a set of SLS mounts, I did get the front mount installed properly, but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to do the passenger side one. Do I install the bracket and first, then try to line everything up and bolt it together, or do I put it together and then place it on the studs on the engine, then line it up with the holes on the frame? Or... Do I do a combination of the above? I'm going to get the revised bracket, so I guess I have a little bit of time to figure it all out. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Yeah, I've seen the bracket concerns... But I have it, and I might as well use it for now. I'm still perplexed at how to install it though. I tried installing it in two pieces but couldn't ever get it to line up, and I tried installing it in one piece and the engine just seemed to not be able to get close enough to the frame to get it assembled properly. After having the car torn apart and sitting for 5 days I just said the hell with it and put the stock one back in.

Try to put the piece on the engine, bolt the dampener part to the car and then put the bolt thru it all & tighten it first. That way it'll pull it all together. Never liked the misalignment of the whole thing either much less the cracking bracket. Didn't get a month out of it. Went back with oem + awr inserts. Good luck with it..........

The only way I could get them to line up was jack up the engine a little. I made sure to support it very well tho... you dont want a hole in your oil pan...

The only way I could get them to line up was jack up the engine a little. I made sure to support it very well tho... you dont want a hole in your oil pan...

I can get the hole to line up with the bolt height wise, by raising or lowering the scissor jack under the engine (with support) but I can't seem to get the bracket and dampener to sit together tightly. From what I can tell in pics of other cars with the same mount, the bracket and dampener should fit tightly together, but I can't get mine to, it's like the engine is over too far to the driver's side. I found a write-up in the 3rd Gen Protege How-To section, so I'll see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong...

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123674129&highlight=SLS+Mounts

Last edited:
Does it make any difference if my P5 an automatic? I don't see anywhere that says whether or not it will or will not work. I've been able to gather that the stock mounts are the same for AT or MT applications, but SLS doesn't really say one way or the other on their site.

Mine's sport auto, only the driver's side mount should be different.

That's what I thought. SLS just emailed me back, they stated the obvious... "Depending on how worn the old one was, you may need to move the engine a bit."

Oh well. I'll see what I can figure out. I just don't see how I'm going to get the motor to move to the right, it does move slightly front to back, but maybe an inch or two at most. Left-to-right, there's no give at all. Maybe if I loosen the drivers side one I can get the little bit of wiggle room that I need.

Well one would think that the only diff would be the trans mount... but I may be wrong

As I think about it more I remember having the same problem as you where the engine seemed shifted to the drivers side... if I remember correctly it was because my rear mount was bad... i dont know what to say tho maybe have someone force the engine toward the passenger side and see if it will even move.

Well one would think that the only diff would be the trans mount... but I may be wrong

As I think about it more I remember having the same problem as you where the engine seemed shifted to the drivers side... if I remember correctly it was because my rear mount was bad... i dont know what to say tho maybe have someone force the engine toward the passenger side and see if it will even move.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my rear mount is on the way out, if it isn't already bad. I have to get someone else to do it, I tried and gave up, because I just couldn't figure out how to get in there to do it. (sadbanana) My front one was torn, so that's probably the case. It has to be possible, it just doesn't make much sense as to why I can't get the damn thing installed. I'm going to take the drivers side mount out anyway to fill it with epoxy like in the how-to for creating your own filled mounts. I'm guessing that the AWR transmission mount wont work for the auto, as the product description says for MT only.

Driver's Side mount = trans mount

Truly, if you think your rear one is bad and you done want to replace it yourself, DONT do the sls side mount. I say this because the SLS mount is weak to begin with and if your rear one is bad it will put way too much extra stress on the SLS mount. The L bracket WILL fail and you may have more problems then you wish to deal with.

If I were you, get the rear mount and have someone install it. I know its a total pain in the ass, but it will save more headaches in the long run! Maybe a local felow forum member would be willing to help you for a case of beer(thinkbeer worth a try?!?!?!

Truly, if you think your rear one is bad and you done want to replace it yourself, DONT do the sls side mount. I say this because the SLS mount is weak to begin with and if your rear one is bad it will put way too much extra stress on the SLS mount. The L bracket WILL fail and you may have more problems then you wish to deal with.

If I were you, get the rear mount and have someone install it. I know its a total pain in the ass, but it will save more headaches in the long run! Maybe a local felow forum member would be willing to help you for a case of beer(thinkbeer worth a try?!?!?!

Yeah, I put this on hiatus until 1. I get the revised bracket and 2. until I have the rear bracket installed. I have the SLS rear bracket sitting in my garage right now. Don't have any locals around me from what I can tell, closest members look to be about 2 hours away.

Back