injector duty cycle

02p5

I just got my Apex'i AVC-R installed and I was monitoring my IDC today, I found out I peaked at 99.9%, is that normal? Does it mean I'm maxing out my injectors?

By the way, 2002 Protege5 FM turbo stage I.

i think the industry standard is generally 80% duty cycle to prevent irratic injector operation. 99% is prolly not too good for daily driving though i believe that there are times that a car is tuned to have the injectors locked open fully.

Yeah , I thought anything over 80% was pretty bad.

Running 6 PSI and using the FMU and O2 supplied by FM with their kit.

02p5 said:
I just got my Apex'i AVC-R installed and I was monitoring my IDC today, I found out I peaked at 99.9%, is that normal? Does it mean I'm maxing out my injectors?

Hey i got a Turbo P5 w/ a Custom FM kit! Stage .5
LOL
Non intercooled at 6psi!

How the hell are you peaking out at 99.9%...

You must be runnin an FMU to be maxing them out!

Our stock injectors are good for atleast 8psi! Over that you will def need extra injectors..Or larger injectors!

That's defintely not good! At what RPM are you havin it max out?

Give some info!

Chas:confused:

I don't understand it myself. The Apex'i takes the reading off of the 4th injector I believe. Could the injector reading be off?
I'll give it a boot around the block and find out more info and what RPM's.

Thanks for your help guys.

02p5 said:

Id like to know how the unit is "seeing" the IDC
Did you have to program any prameters?
is it seeing the O2 feedback?
Just TPS or any other sensors?
Thanks in advance for your answers.
Doesnt sound too accurate that is all.

MP3skaterNC said:
Perf, Its taking the reading off of the 4th injector wire off of the ecu.
ok i thought there would more to base the equation off.
Just a comparison of the known voltage against the injector ground i guess. It just doesnt seem right. The figure of 99% not that i dont belive it. Just doesnt sound right. Oh well.
Keep us informed.

I'll get some more info.
It is off the 4th injector wire off the ECU I believe it's PIN 101 or something. I just got it installed yesterday, so I'm going to play around with it for the next couple of weeks and try it out.
I did not have to program the prameters just had to set the cyl type on the unit. I'll graph it out at which RPM it max out.

Stay tuned

Last edited:
Boost: 0.46
Throttle Position: 100%
Speed: 83 kms
IDC: 99.2%
2nd Gear WOT

on third WOT, IDC was only 48%

02p5 said:
Boost: 0.46
Throttle Position: 100%
Speed: 83 kms
IDC: 99.2%
2nd Gear WOT

on third WOT, IDC was only 48%
What was your max rpm.
In other words what did the tach say at the time you recorded your results in second and then third.

99% duty cycle is definitely a problem. That's dangerous. As stated earlier, consider 80% to be the maximum.

However - an FMU doesn't affect duty cycle. It simply changes the fuel pressure so that more fuel is delivered at a set duty cycle.

Given the way you saw such a radical difference between 2nd and 3rd gear and that the 3rd gear reading is probably the maximum the unit can read, I suspect you've got an intermittent connection on your connection to the AVC-R and it reports 99.9% in this case.

Keith

Keith@FP said:
99% duty cycle is definitely a problem. That's dangerous. As stated earlier, consider 80% to be the maximum.

However - an FMU doesn't affect duty cycle. It simply changes the fuel pressure so that more fuel is delivered at a set duty cycle.

Given the way you saw such a radical difference between 2nd and 3rd gear and that the 3rd gear reading is probably the maximum the unit can read, I suspect you've got an intermittent connection on your connection to the AVC-R and it reports 99.9% in this case.

Keith

Doesn't the ECU actually vary injector duty cycle based on load, not just TPS (02P5 only mentions WOT, not RPM)? I know TPS is a factor in the load equation. but the duty cycle at 3rd gear WOT at 4K RPM should not be the same as 6K (the air flow will increase as RPM rises). I think we need RPM he was running when he saw 99% in 2nd and 48% in third. I notice Perfworks is also asking for RPM.

Yes, of course you need RPM. But a stock ECU would not drive injectors to 99.9%. Again I think it's a bad connection.

Since the RPM was not stated, I was assuming that the conditions were similar in 2nd and 3rd - ie, the same RPM. This could very well be an erroneous assumption, bu iIf that's actually the case then there's something wrong with the data acquisition.

The pulse width varies with load, not the duty cycle.

Keith

Keith@FP said:
Yes, of course you need RPM. But a stock ECU would not drive injectors to 99.9%. Again I think it's a bad connection.

Since the RPM was not stated, I was assuming that the conditions were similar in 2nd and 3rd - ie, the same RPM. This could very well be an erroneous assumption, bu iIf that's actually the case then there's something wrong with the data acquisition.

I think you're right. The value it's reading is just out of range at the high end. So it defaults to the max value.

Last edited:
Back