Infotainment System Bugs

I am liking v29 better than before. For some reason, v29 took several days to figure out how to load my contacts. Now it's working just fine. I haven't had any IT crashes since updating from v25.

I'm not having any issues since the most recent update (I'm assuming v29). I'm actually using an iPod Touch for my day-to-day music now, it's very stable, and they fixed the excessive delay it used to have with skipping tracks. Sometimes I'll stream BT as well, for some reason my Pandora app doesn't get started on my LG G2, but I think that's probably an LG issue rather than a Mazda issue.

Anyone try a Windows phone? (Nokia or HTC). We will have one or both of those when we get our 3. So far, we have not had any issues with pairing the HTC 8Xs to any other vehicle or Garmin navigation system.

I understand that some car manufacturers will set up their infotainment systems to work with a particular phone's OS. My worry is that in order to make the best use of that vehicle's infotainment system, you'd have to have to have a phone with only that OS. Apple, Google and Microsoft war all vying to get car manufacturers to use their OSs. That does not seem like it will be well-received.

I'm in love with the 2014 mazda 3. I just test drove it a few days ago and I plan to go back this weekend to my dealer. But one thing that is really concerning me is all the complaints I have read about the infotainment system. I'm so bummed! I'm really worried that this will happen to me. Of course the dealership didn't mention any problems / updates for the system to me! I had no idea there were even any issues until I started researching more about the car out of pure excitement.

Should I not be concerned?

It is annoying when the system reboots mid-song, but I'm not the type of person to stress over it. The car is so great for the segment outside of the infotainment system, I recommend the car besides the flaws.

@jessicamarie, the infotainment system in my new 3 has been far more reliable, and far more responsive, than the MyFordTouch system in my 2012 Focus Titanium was.

Having said that, I'm now back to where I was with the first version of the software that came on my 3 last fall. It refuses to stay connected to my iPod Classic again. It's very strange. When the car was new, it worked fine. Then after a couple of months, it started randomly disconnecting, and it got worse over the next few days until it failed to stay connected more than a second or two. Then I got v27 and it was fine up until a few days ago, and now it fails to stay connected again.

I've been working with computers as a sys admin type or developer for many years, and I just can't wrap my head around this one. Why would it work fine for a couple of months, and then start crapping out, finally giving up on the iPod altogether until an update is done? Rebooting the iPod and shutting the car off do nothing. I haven't pulled the battery cable, and I really don't want to take that action.

I am getting the software updated on May 21 with my next oil change, and I expect the problem to go away for a while. Maybe this time it won't return.

Other than that one issue, my system has been very reliable since I got the v27 update.

I understand that some car manufacturers will set up their infotainment systems to work with a particular phone's OS. My worry is that in order to make the best use of that vehicle's infotainment system, you'd have to have to have a phone with only that OS. Apple, Google and Microsoft war all vying to get car manufacturers to use their OSs. That does not seem like it will be well-received.

It's only natural that QA priority is going to be given to the most common platforms out there. I expect 90% of their QA time was spent with iPhones, and Samsung's Android build. Probably spent a little time with Windows Phone, and even less with other Android variants from LG, HTC, and the Nexus/GPE builds. I bet they spent zero time with CyanogenMod. So it's not so much requiring a certain OS, as doing testing with the more popular platforms.

I believe I read that Android has 70% of the market and by 2016, Windows will have 20, Apple 30, and Android, 50%. Given this prediction, it really makes no sense for any car manufacturer to pick one. Can you imagine if blue tooth worked with just one operating system? Craziness!

"Android" doesn't exist in the way you're thinking. Seriously. Samsung, LG, HTC, and the others all use very different, very customized versions of it, and they're all significantly different from vanilla Android. This is coming from an Android user since Froyo FYI (Well, the MotoBLUR version of it).

As Windows Phone gains market share it'll get more attention as a target platform, just like what happened with Samsung and TouchWIZ (the other Android variants have largely ridden on Samsung's coattails, none of them have Samsung's sheer dominance so far, though LG stands a chance of making a decent dent). Until then, it makes zero sense to apply a significant amount of QA resources to a platform that owns 5% of the total market, and likely even less of your market. You apply them to the platforms that are most likely to be encountered in real life. These days, that's Apple and iOS, then the Samsung build of Android/TouchWIZ, followed by (in no particular order) the LG, Moto, and HTC variants. Somewhere way behind all of those is Blackberry and Windows Phone. Each of which is probably getting 5% or less of their total available QA resources. Which is entirely appropriate.

I believe Samsung currently sells more Galaxy phones than Apple sells iPhones, worldwide. If not, they are getting there. Regardless, it makes no sense to me for a car manufacturer to require that a potential buyer of that car own a single phone model to use the enfotainment system. The iPhone is not, nor will it ever be the defacto standard phone that everyone uses. It lost its "best phone" crown, many years ago and hasn't been able to get it back.
So, what I'm saying is that it's okay to use a particular company to design the interface/operating system for a car, but is simply idiotic for it to require that the customer go out and buy a particular phone, just to be able to use all the infotainment features in the car. That's kinda like having to have an iPhone to operate a boat.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

I'm not here to get into a pissing match about which number indicates which platform wins, since anyone can choose a number in favor of their particular platform (such as Samsung's current sales being higher...but more activated iOS devices being active, etc, etc, etc). I'm here to make a point of why consumer sales figures and usage statistics dictate QA efforts. You're not getting that part. I hope everyone else is getting the point though, because I'm done hijacking the thread to make it. Fact is, my LG works acceptably well. It does not work perfectly. And I don't expect Mazda to bump it to the top of the testing priority list because I don't want to be forced to buy a Galaxy or iPhone, not when there's 100 times more people using those platforms that they need to keep happy. I'm very much in the minority, I chose to be in the minority, and I accept that there are disadvantages to being in the minority. This is part of life. The phone manufacturers aren't going to worry about compatibility with Mazda either, not when they're a drop in the bucket compared to Toyota and GM. I would assume all of us as Mazda owners would realize this. You can bet Mazda understands the principle, even if some people on this forum don't.

What everyone is missing in this stupid IOS versus Android argument is cars have always been behind the curve in adopting new A/V technology. What Android is selling today is meaningless to what we have in our new cars because the design decisions were being made 2 years ago.

dead screen

I don't know how long I left it disconnected. 10 maybe 15 seconds tops. It wasn't very long. Maybe that's why the problem was still stored in the device. I'll keep it in mind for future reference if it happens again.

I have a 2014 Mazda3 S GT Hatch. In its four months of use I have now had two Bowmans, meaning that the screen goes dead and the whole infotainment system is dead. After the first one I spent a morning at a dealer while they downloaded a new system on the chip. This took 40 minutes and had to be done twice along with phone calls to Mazda. This time it was a lot easier because my son found this thread. I made sure that the battery was disconnected more than 30 seconds. It was more like five minutes. Anyway, it worked perfectly, and I didn't have to redo all my Favorite radio stations like I did the first time. Thanks to Bowman and ceric.

I was previously on v25, and now I'm on v29. I haven't noticed any issues as of yet, but one thing that is bugging me is that on the main screen, the applications circle on the left, and the settings circle on the right are both slightly cut off :(

Getting V31 installed tomorrow. Hopefully this fixes most of the problems listed in this thread. I've had the system just hang whilst driving. The only way to fix it was to do a factory reset in the settings menu.

Are you kidding me?! v31 is out now? I just had mine updated Wednesday to v29. Crap.

It's not officially out yet. The dealers here in NZ are working close with Mazda to work out all teething problems. The car's only been out about 2 months here. Our system here is missing some of the voice features (like entering destination address) that the USA 3's have.

Gee I hope V31 fixes things...this is a list of my V30 pain still:

- Doesn’t show fuel econ on ignition off – yes it is enabled.
- Audible speed alerts do not work. It flashes on the MZD only.
- SMS and emails sometime work, sometime do not. The inbox wont load many times.
- The most annoying bug, is that when someone rings it does not understand their number is stored with +61 in front of it. So it doesn’t identify the caller.
- Today the system rebooted trying to load SMS messages
- At times I have had audio drop and play through the phone after a call.
- I have also seen when trying to respond to a SMS the preset message Responses are all blank!

I'm on v29, and one of the above bugs I share with you is that when someone calls, it doesn't show their name, but the raw number which I find to be very annoying :(. I hope v31 does fix things up though! Patience people.

"Android" doesn't exist in the way you're thinking. Seriously. Samsung, LG, HTC, and the others all use very different, very customized versions of it, and they're all significantly different from vanilla Android. This is coming from an Android user since Froyo FYI (Well, the MotoBLUR version of it).

This is so wrong it is laughable. The only difference between retailers of Android system phone is their overlay and bloatware. The core of Android is always the same because it is the same OS on every phone. TouchWiz, MotoBlur, etc.. are just overlays that are customized from the phone manufacturer.

Also, since 4.0 the Android system is now the same across all platforms. It doesn't matter if you have a tablet or a phone.

Back