Infotainment System Bugs

My car is in the service department today for a firmware update. The technicians informed me v30 was recalled by Mazda this morning and it's been replaced by V29. I am not sure exactly what the issue was but v30 was said to be unstable.

v30 didn't help my problem, it is still rebooting randomly. I almost always have Pandora going when it happens, so it may be that poorly written app within the system.

Also, they "fixed" my HUD not opening all the way and after 3 days, it is again not opening 100%. :(

Well, it sounds like the QC is pretty lousy on the firmware.

Can't be worse than it was with Ford's MyFordTouch system. I was one of the first 2012 Focus owners, and that system was a nightmare. The second-to-last update I did to it before trading it in for my 2014 3 made things much worse. The last update fixed everything for me, but it was still slow as a dog. At least Mazda recalled v30. There may be something to be said for not letting owners do the updates themselves.

V29 (or whatever they installed) killed my ability to associate my LG flip-phone to the ITS via Bluetooth. Previously it worked intermittently, now it doesn't work at all. There still is no ability to use my fifth generation iPod 80 GB (the last iPod before the Classic model) except over 1/8th inch AUX audio.

The current firmware does not show the version number anywhere I can see. V25 firmware was easy to see the version number.

This firmware appears to be a downgrade from V25. My car was in the shop all day for this downgrade.... 7 hours for them to download to their USB stick, and 30 minutes to apply it.

Aargh! Waste of time and gasoline.

Strange. My upgrade to v29 + oil change + full circle inspection was done in 1.5 hrs while I waited there.

You were probably not the first customer to receive the update at your service station... or maybe my dealership is connected to the internet via a 1980's era dial-up modem.

I was at my dealers today. they knew I wanted the latest update a week ago when I made the appt. They didn't bother to dl it, so they didn't do it with the oil change today. They also didn't know that v30 is out. only had a record of v29. ::sigh:: I had high hopes for this dealership when I started taking the car to them. Now, not so sure.

V30 was recalled, as I wrote in message 188 above. V29 was (for me) a downgrade from v25. I wish I would have stuck with what I had before.

My dealer needed to know which problem I was having before they would install the firmware for free. I mentioned that my cellphone wouldn't connect reliably and the firmware was crashing. Those were the magic words. Apparently firmware is only a free update if you report a problem; otherwise they may try to charge you. I learned this only by asking how much it would cost BEFORE proceeding with the installation, while they were writing up the service slip. Customers beware.

3 day old Mazda 3 SP25 and this is what has happened so far:

Day 0 (early evening pickup) Contacts would not load from my phone this happened at the dealer.
Day 1 Maps didn't load grey screen of nothing but a nice little navigating arrow!
Day 3 MZD completely crashed on the fuel econ screen. Had to the turn car off for about 20 seconds and then it went off. Started car again and MZD was blank. Eventually started working when off for long period.

And bugs that continually happen:

1) It tries to auto load contacts even though I disable it each time I start the car. The setting to disable is not saving between drives.
2) Sometimes SMS and emails do not load. I have to turn off BT on my phone and then it eventually works.
3) SMS and Emails in the inbox appear but when I try to read them they are empty. When they first arrive they work fine. Just older ones have an issue.
4) The setting to enable wifi is not saving between drives. I have to manually enable it each time I drive.
5) Sometimes it wont connect to my wifi hot spot.
6) The setting to display the fuel economy screen at ignition off does not work. It also doesn't save between drives.

So I would have to say this MAJOR selling point is hugely disappointing. Brilliant when it works.

I just bought a new LG flip phone (I dislike fragile smart phones) but v29 still doesn't load contacts. At least pairing works better than with my old LG flip phone.

They put on V30 for me. I did tell the dealer had been recalled. Need to test it more but this still definitely doesn't work:

- Audible speed warning
- Show fuel econ on ignition off

I can confirm that these do work after the V30 upgrade:

- wifi stays on
- it doesn't import contacts when I say not to
- maint schedule stays selected
- favorite contacts now work
- and red light cameras appear on the maps

I can also confirm these still do not work:

- It wont show the fuel economy on ignition off.
- Occasionally SMS and/or emails do not load.
- There is no audible speed alert even though I have it enabled. It only flashes on the GPS screen.

I'm in love with the 2014 mazda 3. I just test drove it a few days ago and I plan to go back this weekend to my dealer. But one thing that is really concerning me is all the complaints I have read about the infotainment system. I'm so bummed! I'm really worried that this will happen to me. Of course the dealership didn't mention any problems / updates for the system to me! I had no idea there were even any issues until I started researching more about the car out of pure excitement.

Should I not be concerned?

There are many of us with absolutely no infotainment problems. USB works great. AM/FM works great. XM works great. Nav is good. etc. Personally, I think there were some quality control issues with parts suppliers which happens with a new model. However, if you get one manufactured after March 2014 or so, those bugs should be worked out. Also, it seems that iPhone users have more problems than Android users.

You make a good point :)
That makes me feel better, thanks!

Really depends on what you are going to use.
Fancy stuff might have some issues - USB, BT streaming, Text download, etc. you can browse this thread through.
For my wife (and me as an occasional driver), we use CD, FM, NAVI, BT Audio, Aux, HD-Radio, simple stuff.
Not a single issue happened to our Mazda3 except for occasional hesitation for about 10 seconds.
I have mine updated to v29. All seem well. More responsive, less hesitation.

This is software we are talking about. It can be easily upgraded.
Mazda will keep updating this for as long as yours is under warranty.
Nothing to worry about. This info system does not drive your Mazda3.
Even if it crashes and reboot, so what?!

Latest posts

Back