Infiniti EX35 to Mazda 3????

7Midgets

:
2008 Z51 Corvette Convertible
Enjoying 2010 Infiniti EX35 Warranty runs out in July and either i spend $1000 for 3/36 more and drive 100 miles for service and warranty work or sell the car for $23,500 and by the Mazda which looks similar. The EX gets around 23 MPG driving it like a limo. But 0-60 in 6 seconds will deliver sub 17 MPG of premium unleaded quickly. That said I don;t put even 5000 miles a year on a car so gas mileage was never an issue, I rde a bike most of the time.

The EX is fantastic on all levels and the tech is superb, but the Infiniti dealer is pretty far away so I am leary about keeping it and am being offered $23,000 for it. Nothing comes close to it except for the Mazda asthetically and the S model will perform although I rarely get on the EX.

Closest car to it physically is the M3 Grand Touring. I know it won't have the interior bling or stereo (its a Bose as well but phenomenal sounding) but the same utilitarian cargo space and a whole lot less expensive to drive, I think the deal breaker could be the ride quality. I don;t want a noisy car or one that will cause e to hit my head on the headliner running over a paper cup (like the stiff suspension of a BMW)

The thing is the EX was a $40,000+ car new and I bought it for $23,900 last Summer privately and even CarMAx offered me $22,000 for it now, so the depreciation going forward will be less than a new Mazda at about $2000 a year, I believe the Mazda GT3 will drop $4000 or more in the first year and its a first year model which is usually more issue prone TSB wise. Since they are still pretty rare in the showrooms ONE here in Myrtle Beach, they are not discounting them. A Mazda dealer in Lumberton even told me I should wait until July August as the 2015s will be around the corner and there will be heavier discounts on the M3 while the EX may be worth $22,000 with 34K on it by then.

Would you keep the EX or sell it and drop another $3K for a 2014 M3 GT? or wait until July and get the GTS3

WAS looking at a 2014 CX5 Touring with 1000K for $24,000 but it sold.

Last edited:
If you are one of those who sell the cars every other year , don't buy the Mazda. I've read reviewers that are saying that the new Mazda's will depreciate less than previous models, due the new design and amenities, but the truth of the matter is that Mazda's loss value really quickly. I mean, I sold my Speed6 for a little bit over of 9k and bought it new for almost 30k. I had the car for 6 years, but it was in mint condition.

If you want a car that it's fun to drive, connected to the road and you'll keep it for 5 years or more, get the Mazda. I can afford BMWs and more expensive cars, but the value and fun that I get with Mazda's can't compare. Also, it won't break my wallet when it's time to do service, which will happen with a Lexus or BMW.

If you are one of those who sell the cars every other year , don't buy the Mazda. I've read reviewers that are saying that the new Mazda's will depreciate less than previous models, due the new design and amenities, but the truth of the matter is that Mazda's loss value really quickly. I mean, I sold my Speed6 for a little bit over of 9k and bought it new for almost 30k. I had the car for 6 years, but it was in mint condition.

If you want a car that it's fun to drive, connected to the road and you'll keep it for 5 years or more, get the Mazda. I can afford BMWs and more expensive cars, but the value and fun that I get with Mazda's can't compare. Also, it won't break my wallet when it's time to do service, which will happen with a Lexus or BMW.

Sold the Infiniti (for $800 more than I paid for it privately) So I have $24500 cash plus whatever I need for what I want and was quoted $25768 OTD for a GTi Hatchback (sales tax is capped at $300 here) I am awaiting more quotes (especially on a 2.5 Touring i) I was impressed with the sound system and easy hook up with my phone for audio. I was reading Mazda was difficult in that area. I drove the 2.0 and is not an Infiniti but its plenty and the 2.5 would be downright fun without burning 12 MPG of Premium at 5000 RPM. I have no interest in the sedan with the Mazda. the Hatch is like the EX35 and I like the cargo area.

Reasons not to buy the Mazda.
1. I only bought ONE new car in my life and that's the only car I lost real money on. IF I can drive a high line car for three years for $200 a month (considering the the difference between buy and sell costs I am happy. The Infiniti cost me nothing so I "made" $200 a month. I am afraid the resale value will not be there when I want to unload the Mazda and the service I know won;t be there. "They all do that" service... and I don't want the cost to drive this car to be $10,000 for three years, That is IF its worth $17K in three years

My other choices are a Certified 37K 11 loaded Lexus EX350 for $1100 more 3 years 100K bumper to bumper. which has already taken its depreciation hit. and at my age 59 might "look" more suitable. We do wear our vehicles. Although what I love about Lexus is their top draw service and reliability. Everything just works from the tech to Nav to the quiet cushioned ride and still get to 60 MPH in less than 6.7 seconds if needed.

"In terms of individual brands, Lexus once again took top honors and widened its lead when it comes to dependability.
"The difference between Lexus and the field is dramatic. In terms of the survey, it is a long ways ahead of others," Sargent said. "In fact, six of the top 12 vehicles in the industry are Lexus models."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101408079

Or a loaded 11 G37 with 37K for $23,000..........17 MPG premium unleaded.....but fast!!

I am leaning Lexus for resale and becasue although I love the Mazda I reallydon;t want to look like I borrowed my son's car.

Face it, you just want a luxury car because it is more important for you to impress other people than be comfortable in your own skin. I've had all kinds of luxury cars -- Porsche, BMW, Mercedes -- for the past 30 years and I bought a new Mazda 3. But some of us reach a point in life where we don't care about what others think. I just don't need luxury cars anymore. I also don't need a 430hp Porsche that can go 190 mph. I can buy any of them new as money is not an issue for me. I like the feel of the road and in these times, there is something about economy in a car which is quite appealing. I was just about to pull the trigger on a new Mercedes when I test drove the new 3. This is a fun car and I actually think it is a plus at my age that people think it is a car for younger people...

LOL Wrong Sparky.First of all EVERYONE cares what others think to different degrees, or they would not have mirrors in their homes, shave, get haircuts, choose color coordinated clothing, nor would there be old men wearing bad toupees'. To claim otherwise is ignorant. People WEAR their vehicles as much as they drive them. Been that way for 100 years, all ages. You are not an exception.

There is a marked difference between a Lexus and a Mazda on many levels. There are many cars that would give one the "road feel" that are not economical. Although I can understand how you would put MB and BMW in the Mazda class. A BMW is not far from a Mazda in ride quality. Personally I would not own any German car again. Great tech, lots of gizmos, poor reliability, Strictly lease and repeat vehicles. The only MB worth driving IMO is an S Class. The rest are wannabees and can easily be topped by domestics.

Besides:
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blog...ll-among-cheapest-cars-to-own?icid=autos_5274

Last edited:

Yeah thats one of the stickys for me. I HATE throwing money away. You don't get to enjoy a cash and carry life younger than 50 buy throwing money away on new cars every three years. You buy right and buy cars you can easily sell. NEVER trade. Buy cars that are popular and hold their values and you will never have to trade. We sold Tacomas, Rav 4s, and now my Infiniti privately for thousands more than dealers wanted ACV trade. I would do the same with the Mazda. Sell it for $2000 above CarMax offer using Auto Trader and Cars.com. Craigslist for sub $10K cars.

I don;t think the Mazda will bring Civic money but I think it will be better in this new incarnation with the tech. although the new Civic has it beat there but does not have the curb appeal of the Mazda.

So, Fido, all old men wear bad toupees? No men have beards? Hair can't get so long it gets in your way? To believe that is true you must be missing some teeth.... By the way, I shave my head because it's easier.

I buy my vehicles for me. If I wanted to impress others, I'd stay with Porsches or buy a Ferrari. I like driving and choose the car the feels best TO ME. Again, Fido, if you're so insecure you need the approval of others, that's all right, but at least admit it.

You constantly compare luxury autos with the Mazda 3 rather than with direct competitors in that class. You really want a car to look cool with your friends and have already said the Mazda 3 would not give the right impression. A psychologist would say that you really think the 3 is the right decision but your ego is so bolstered by the opinions of others that you can't just buy a car for yourself. That's fine. But if that's the way you think, don't waste time posting to a board like this.

By the way, Germans make some very good cars with high reliability. Again, rather than being objective, you've taken the opinion of others. How many German cars have you owned? I've owned one Mercedes, a couple of BMW's, a couple of Porsches, a Renault, a Triumph, a few Volvos, a few American cars, a couple of Hondas, and even currently own a Hyundai. The least reliable cars of the bunch was a couple of American cars. Next in poor reliability were the Hondas. And I still purchased a Japanese car called a Mazda. I keep most of my cars for a long time -- 5-10 years so I should know first hand about reliability.

Good luck with your internal psychological debate. I've got a suggestion for you, however. Just put your options on a ballot and have your friends choose your car. It sounds as if what you really want doesn't matter....

I owned one Mercedes. GLK350 for the wife. Terrible car. OM651 engine injector issues. She now drives a RAV 4 and is happy. Brother owned a new BMW for 6 months and traded it for his Lexus, My nephew just sold his S550 for a Lexus LS, Same reason. I would never buy a German car of any brand again.

The only reason I am even looking at Mazda is because it is most like the Infiniti EX35 I just sold. If I had an Infinti dealer within 100 miles I would have kept it. Otherwise I would not even have noticed the brand. I don't keep cars ten years. When they start giving me issues or I tied of them I dump them on the market or give them to a relative. I have never owned a Lexus but every bit of research from a variety of sources claim the Lexus is the best car for reliability and service bar none and by a long margin. THAT is all I care about. The Lexus badge is not all that prestigious. The Infinti badge is certainly not.

My opinions are based in research not other people who drink the Kool-Aid for brands. Otherwise I would own a Harley and not a Yamaha. The Mazda 3 HAtch is a nice car but yeah when I see an old guy driving one I always think it either belongs to his son. The Mazda 3 has ALWAYS been known as and marketed to the 20 something crowd. Speed 3 and all that jazz. Nothing has changed. THIS very section of the forum is filled with youth enjoying their zoom zoom.

So I would say to you "Enjoy reliving your own youth". I happen to think that is painfully more important to you than what others think. You are like the guy with the combover that does not think anyone notices their issue, I think I have grown out of that stage gracefully and csan choose a vehicle that has the best reliability over one that attracts attention.

settle down guys, no ones even on your lawn!

but, I agree rvoll, this is definitely the best car in this category. everything else falls short in one too many places when compared to the mazda.

Yeah I took a look at the Mazda and DO like it on paper.

They have TWO GTs here one here and one in Charleston 100 miles away...Not exactly a barn burner. No S models. So I could not even test ride the 2.5 and I won't order a car I never drove. Especially coming from a real performance and handling machine with impeccable service. Being from NJ (a long time ago) , the only thing I miss are the choices and many dealerships. My brother thinks I should go up there to buy a car. Perhaps he is right,

I always visit the service departments and talk to owners before buying a car because That is where I will be spending far more time owning the car. The Service Manager was a good guy but he said implicitly they do not give out loaners. That would be ok if a car had a track record of reliability but the 3 is a first year model and I know the CX5 has all those tech issues, Did a lot of research on that SUV and decided against it. The 3 attracted me only because it was most like the Infiniti down to the cargo area. Has an excellent sound system and supposedly there is some measure of performance which I have yet to experience as I only drove the 2.0. Tech worked with my phone and 120 GB Ipod well enough. Very practical car because of the cargo area. Sedans are nice but they are "people movers" not exactly good for picking up a few bags of mulch in the Spring.

MPG does not concern me I ride a bike 3/4 of the time. May put 4-5K on a car a year most of it on longer 100 mile plus trips. Probably less now that I don't have a daily commute which is another reason I would buy the Mazda without a loaner policy. For the best all around reliability ,resale and performance the Civic SI is probably a better choice at the same price (201 HP 170Ft torque at low RPMs). Extremely nice and long term tested tech. But no Automatic option. Nephew just bought one. Fun car. Another 20 something ride though and no hatch.

Last edited:
I live in NJ and ended up buying the car I wanted in MD because deals in NJ are not very good and you pay a high doc fee. If you want a great ride, this is not the car to buy. I happen to like the feel of the road with stiff suspension. That's not a kid thing, that's from driving sports cars most of my life. I also like a heavier steering feel. The 3 is not a perfect car by any stretch of the imagination. I ended up getting the sGT without the added tech. IMO, iELOOP is a sham and the other items in that package require that you trust them to do the driving for you. Money was not an object in this purchase. I guess at this stage in my life the luxury autos don't hold any interest for me and I did want to move in the high mpg category as my former Porsche only got 12 mpg. I took a look at that new, smaller Mercedes CLA and it almost felt like I was in a VW -- great body style outside but really old on the inside. I've owned BMW's in the past and they were good driving cars, but with the new ones you lose the feel of the road. I really don't care what others think, which is why I ended up buying my first Mazda. Unlike you, I always buy new cars recognizing that I'm going to take a hit in depreciation. However, I'm sort of like a male dog in that I like to mark my territory with my own smells. My stink is different than the stink of others and used cars have always had that kind of smell. So I lose a few thousand dollars on the transaction, but isn't that why I worked all of those years????

By the way, I've always liked the Infiniti EX series and even considered purchasing one several years ago. However, time has passed by and the new QX50 is looking old and mpg is low. Plus, you just can't feel the road. When I was young, my first new car was a '69 Triumph TR6 with that beautiful Michelloti body. I had a European 250hp engine in it and wide tires and that thing felt great. The older Porsches also had a great, light, road feel and I just guess I like that in a car. If you don't like that type of driving experience, you should stay away from the Mazda 3.

Interesting Jersey had no deals. I have to day I owned a 2010 Honda Accord Coupe bought new. Hated the road noise and road feel. The Mazda iGT I test drove was leaps and bounds above that Accord in smooth ride without the wallow of a Lexus. was not all that much rougher than the EX, Was a bit noisier but I think that is becasue of the tires. When I changed the tires on the Infiniti it got much quieter.

All in all it is a much smoother ride than I expected in the class. The question is will it stay that way or become loose and sloppy. The Audio System was phenomenal. I don;t know. I may be buying my second new car in my life. IF i can find and drive one. I have asked for quotes on S Tourings. Don't need the moon roof or auto HIDS. Seats are nice though on the GT S, i Loop sounds gimmicky and a lot of nothing for 1 or 2 MPG. Adaptive cruise might be nice or s long distance driver. I have decided against the Es and ANY sedan.

Sedans are "people movers" I don;t move people. I prefer the practicality of the cargo area or truck bed. Narrowed down to a 2011 Venza XLE, Tacoma TRD OR Access cab 2WD, and the Mazda. Extended warranties are cheap and easy to get online from out of state dealers for very little money. 0 deductible exclusionary ToyotaCare warranty for my wife's 12 RAV was $620 for 8/80 From Midwest Toyota. I wonder if Mazda dealers sell discounted warranties online....

Yes, the audio system is fantastic! I would say is as good as the one I had on my Speed6. Bass are deep and treble clear and crisp. It doesn't distort even at high volume. I like that even though most system give you mp3, you can also play a regular CD, and an iPod or any other USB device as well. We have a lot of options.

Can't confirm about speaker quality yet or if they will blew in a few months, but had BOSE system before and they are usually good.

Yes, the audio system is fantastic! I would say is as good as the one I had on my Speed6. Bass are deep and treble clear and crisp. It doesn't distort even at high volume. I like that even though most system give you mp3, you can also play a regular CD, and an iPod or any other USB device as well. We have a lot of options.

Can't confirm about speaker quality yet or if they will blew in a few months, but had BOSE system before and they are usually good.

Had a 11 Speaker Bose System i the Infiniti. Best sound I ever heard in a car stock or otherwise. Very clear,tight and even in a Freqs. I was very surprised at the Mazda's excellent system Since I was test driving it then driving the EX35 home, I could make a fair comparison.

The adaptive headlights I had in the Infiniti. They turned with the steering wheel. Nice touch but can live without them. I think that kind of tech is better left to premium brands as they don't cut as many corners. E-Loop ..well I am not a "green party" member so MPGs mean little to me. I cannot see paying $1000+ to save pennies on fuel nor do I want my car to "drive itself" with adaptive cruise. I don;t go on long trips with lots of traffic to worry about. I can set and forget cruise control Sunroof. Had them on every car I owned . Never used it. HAd an HHR where it became a problem leaking and the air dam bracket broke. and finally automatic headlights. They never came on when I wanted on the Infiniti even set at the most sensitive. I can tell if its raining and turn on the wipers as well. What Mazda should have done was reserve that 2.5 for the GT. That would make me reconsider the GT. I cannot tell the difference from my wife's leatherette and the Infiniti's real leather seats, except for the padding and real leather will crack. The Lexus had cooling seats...made me feel like I pissed my pants, Didn't care it and it doesn't get cold enough here to use heated seats.

I think Mazda in this class is a $26K car at best. At $30K there are too many alternative choices in premium year or two old vehicles that have taken their $7000 depreciation hits. TSX comes to mind as well as the EX35s. But if MPGs is the seller Mazda cannot be beat in its class for performance, utility and economy with the S Touring model IMO. I am still on the fence. I have narrowed my next car down to three. Mazda S Touring, 2012 XLE Toyota Venza. 2012 Tacoma TRD OR ( practical and if I want to sell it in six months its the least expensive to own since I am getting a price of $23800 for one with 13K miles. It would be a good place marker while I wait to see what I really want and the Mazdas start showing up used.

After my V6 EX-L Accord Coupe I vowed never to buy new again and since then have driven for very little a month buying low and selling high. I think the Tacoma would sell for $22K easily in a year. Had one and was surprised at the resale. Especially since as the weather warms in the 50's and 60's this week I will be on the bike most of the time.

The Venza is a nice middle between a truck and the smaller Mazda but I think that would be very hard to sell on Auto Trader when and if I tired of it. Polarizing look like the HHR I had 6 years ago. But the one I am looking at is loaded with the Nav and leather with in warranty miles. One think I love about Toyotas is those platinum 8 year 120 K Toyota VSCs are dirt cheap when purchased from Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota. $50 for the wifes RAV and about $780 for a Tacoma 2WD TRD OR.

I don;t even know what Mazda's cost and if they can be bought at a discount. I but them, for one reason. It's VERY easy to sell a vehicle rather than trade when it has 2-3 years of Bumper to bumper protection. $700 is well spent. Brings back thousands over trade values and still less than dealer advertised pricing.

Right now the Tacoma has the inside track for practicality and financial prudence. Followed by a tie between the Mazda and Venza. Have to test drive the Venza. If it rides harsh I will test drive the Mazda again and make a decision. Tomorrow I am bringing the checkbook with me in a rental car.

Last edited:
Anyone comparing a Tacoma, a Mazda3 and a Venza is comparing apples to oranges to apricots. 2900 lbs to 4000 lbs to 3600 (minimum) lbs. Different layouts. Different space. Different handling. Different comfort. And you have put down the Mazda more times than you have posts. By a large margin. Quality. Cost. Reliability.

I have no idea what you expect to get from a Mazda forum. Are you out posting on the Toyota forms as well?

Anyone comparing a Tacoma, a Mazda3 and a Venza is comparing apples to oranges to apricots. 2900 lbs to 4000 lbs to 3600 (minimum) lbs. Different layouts. Different space. Different handling. Different comfort. And you have put down the Mazda more times than you have posts. By a large margin. Quality. Cost. Reliability.

I have no idea what you expect to get from a Mazda forum. Are you out posting on the Toyota forms as well?

Not comparing them at all to each other.......I learn from the forums. Many times I learn what not to buy or when to buy. I almost bought a CX 5 when I until I joined this forum. Forums are not filled with all "rah rah Kool-Aid drinkers". Many become disenchanted with this and that.

I am more interested in those who are having issues and watching as common issues develop such as the terrible entire radio tech system in the CX5 and the weak 2.0 engine for that SUV. If it were not for the forum I may have suffered the same. Instead of waiting until Mazda got their act together AND put a 2.5 in the CX-5 which they have now done, but still have not fixed the infotainment system. to the level of the Mazda 3 so they are now releasing a `15 soon absolutely killing the resale value of the first buyers and those who bought 2014s a few months ago. I am already seeing 2013 GT Cx-5s with asking prices of $23990. Trade value on a CX-5 GT with 24K is around $21K. So if I wanted one I could get one for around $23,000 because I waited a little over a year.

THAT is why I join forums. I have been a member of Three Toyota forums for years, motorcycle forums, and an Infinti forum since I had one for 6 months and sold it for more than I paid for it. If it were not for the EX35 I would not have even looked at the Mazda 3 even though they are miles apart on every level.

I am not stuck in a particular class of vehicle. I buy from the back end first. What is the loss risk on the deal in a year, in two years? When you pay with hard cash you tend to think differently than a payment buyer.

The Venza is only in the mix IF the dealer takes my offer tomorrow of $22,900 for an XLE with NAV with 28K miles. Otherwise I will pass on it. The Venza is sort of like a very plush wagon/minivan/SUV with a larger cargo area. It was a $32,000 car two years ago. Not Toyota's best reseller but a good bargain used for what you get. Still worth 2/3s of it's original value. A two year old Chevy isn't. Don't know about Mazda's resale. Have not considered them before.

So I am not "comparing" them to each other at all. I am just working out the financial aspects. I may end up with the Mazda in a year without losing $5000 in first year depreciation. Its always the way I rolled. Buy when everyone is selling. Sell when everyone is buying. Don't get emotionally attached to inanimate objects. If I am PATIENT my price will ALWAYS come to me. Whether buying stock, homes or cars. I may be able to get that 2014 Mazda 3s Touring for $15,000 in a year and a half, Never know. Right now I think they are over priced like the CX-5 was. Like EVERY NEW VEHICLE IS.

Last edited:
Don't get emotionally attached to inanimate objects. If I am PATIENT my price will ALWAYS come to me. Whether buying stock, homes or cars. I may be able to get that 2014 Mazda 3s Touring for $15,000 in a year and a half, Never know. Right now I think they are over priced like the CX-5 was. Like EVERY NEW VEHICLE IS.

I farted on the seats first. you clearly get no fun from your cars, I want a good value as much as the next man and I considered that. You seem to ONLY consider that.

I do understand where this guy is coming from. He is definitely not a car gal/guy like most of us. We would choose the attributes of the car, look at the alternatives, and choose the right brand and model. This guy is influenced heavily by image and gets his strokes by being the person who gets the best deal. Personally, since I had never purchased a Mazda before, I test drove a Mercedes, a BMW, a couple of different Hyundai models, and a Caddy. That forced me to determine exactly what I wanted from this purchase. I wanted a car in the Mazda 3 category but was used to luxury features and tech. If the Mazda could not deliver those luxury attributes, I would not buy it. The Mazda ended up not being a compromise. It was in the right category, looked good, drove like the sports cars I had owned before, and had leather and tech. I didn't find any other cars in the category that fulfilled my needs. I would have purchased the new small Mercedes CLA for about $15K more with the goodies I wanted had the Mazda not delivered but it would have been a compromise. But I'm a car guy and I really don't care what others think. Yes I want to get the best deal, but I'm not a fanatic about it. My wife would have wanted me to buy the Mercedes in Silver, but that is not a driver's car. The Mazda is fun and I do get some psychological benefit from the higher mpg.

A lot of people in this forum have purchased a number of Mazda's before and are brand reliant so it is probably difficult for them to understand that people buy cars for different reasons. That's how markets work. I would never have purchased a Mazda before because not only did I think they were ugly, but their overall specs weren't great. And, since Mazda was unprofitable, it was (and is) a risk. But if you are really into cars, you just can't pass up what they've done with the new 3. At least I couldn't.

You would have been a excellent candidate for the Infiniti EX35 if you were really looking at attributes. It has ALL of Mazda's attributes times 1000. Sitting in the Infiniti and then sitting in the Mazda is like going from Ruth's Chris to Mc Donalds as far as luxury and materials. Everything about it exudes luxury and performance well EXCEPT for it's 23 MPG fuel economy.

I know this because I test drove a Mazda 3 2.0 while owning the Infiniti and I would not buy the 2,0. Have not had an opportunity to drive the 2.5 even though I know It is the only engine I would accept in the Mazda.

I don't care about MPG. I would have kept the EX if the Dealer was closer. That was my psychological issue. I thought the MAzda would be a decent substitute with local service. But again you cannot compare Mazda service with even today's updated Toyota service centers, never mind an Infiniti dealer.

Mazda will not even give you a loaner if your car is held up for a day. It's not in their warranty. The Mazda service manager told me that when I asked. Strike one.

I will never understand a self proclaimed "car guy" who puts the Mazda 3 ahead of the EX35 or even the lowly Mercedes CLA (which is no more than a "badge" for an otherwise Chevy buyer) Mercedes needed a cheap $30K car. So they made the CLA for those who want to say they own a Mercedes without actually owning one.......In that regard, made the right choice. But from a performance and luxury standpoint the EX35 (or Q50 as the new ones are called) just trounces the Mazda in every category.

Its a phenomenal ride, with flawless, handling only a rear wheel drive can offer and innovative tech, ( four cameras instead of one), top notch interior double stitched materials and real woods, and world class service centers with no hassle Infiniti loaners.

I am not sure a real "car guy" would choose the Mazda S Gt over it any more than a "real biker" would choose a Yamaha V Star over his Harley.....Well maybe given the last example I can somewhat understand. I ride the V star. LOL

Last edited:
I farted on the seats first. you clearly get no fun from your cars, I want a good value as much as the next man and I considered that. You seem to ONLY consider that.

I am guilty of that yes. But The EX35 was a whole lot of fun. But it's value was in selling it for more than I paid for it. That is more fun for me. You are right though. I am not a car guy. I prefer two wheels to four. Always have. I bought one new car, the Honda coupe, "for fun" and lost to much money on it and it really wasn't all that much fun. Stiff suspension. Ride over a paper cup and hit ones head on the head liner, NOISY,,,road noise was terrible. Just not a fun car.

I just never got my jollies from cars. I have to buy them right because i don't keep them long either. I only had the EX since last August and before that a tacoma for two and a half years or so. The Honda for 17 months, An HHR for a year, The wife keeps hers (except for the GLK) She has had Rav 4s for years and loves them.(well she does not like the new one) So we bought her a 12 with 13 K on it last Summer while we still could find low mileage old styles. My next car will either be a Venza, Tacoma or maybe go back and buy a guy's 2011 G37 he is making cheaper every week on Auto trader. If that price comes into the 20K mark I will be very interested and live with Infiniti being 90 miles away. It's not like I have to go to work everyday,

I've driven an EX series car and it is absolutely no fun. You are so isolated from the driving experience, has little feel for the road, and the steering makes you hunt for your location. The transmission is not very controllable and I do care about mpg even though I don't have to worry about it. The EX35 is a very nice car but I come from a sports car background. If luxury were my goal, I might consider the QX50, but I've had luxury cars and I just don't want to be isolated from the driving experience that much. When I was a consultant 30 years ago, I had the luxury cars, mostly BMW's and Mercedes, because it made clients feel better. But I always had my Porsche handy for weekends and trips. My second car when I was young was a Volvo P1800 and my third car was a Triumph TR-6. They were both a blast and more fun than any of the other 40 or so cars I've owned. Then I had a family of 6 and needed larger cars for the next 25 years. I get the same joy out of the new Mazda 3 sGT as I did out of the Volvo and Triumph. Driving is fun again.

I get it that you don't enjoy driving and we need people like you to keep up our resale values. If you really owned an HHR and are willing to tell us that, we really can't take you seriously...

YEP I owned an HHR.....unlike you I am not a snob I gave GM a chance on 2007. Never again......But Perhaps the Mazda is your 'HHR" since you like to throw out the massive number of premium brands you claim to have owned...no doubt Mazda is your "HHR"

Resale values have already reared their ugly head in a very popular Mazda.....The CX5... USED GTs are being advertised for $6,000 under MSRP after one year.Trade value on a GT CX-5 is $21,000. That would make a Mazda 3 GT worth $18,000 ACV in a year..Mark this post.

I don't believe for a second you drove an EX35 with your comments.....Not a chance. Perhaps you mistaken it for your Camry?

Honestly, you should just go buy a Merc, BMW or another Infinity. Money and MPG mean little to you (I mean this in a good way) so just go buy one of those cars. I would have kept the EX35. Absolutely fantastic car. Can't hold my bike and the gas milage stinks but otherwise, an amazing car.

Also, did you just get a Venza as a placeholder car? The reason I ask is that there is a seven midgets poster on another Mazda site (from myrtle beach) who is talking about the CX-5 - and mentioned that he purchased a Venza as a placeholder car.

You two sound rather similar and I am starting to think you are actually just trolling...

Last edited:
Honestly, you should just go buy a Merc, BMW or another Infinity. Money and MPG mean little to you (I mean this in a good way) so just go buy one of those cars. I would have kept the EX35. Absolutely fantastic car. Can't hold my bike and the gas milage stinks but otherwise, an amazing car.

Also, did you just get a Venza as a placeholder car? The reason I ask is that there is a seven midgets poster on another Mazda site (from myrtle beach) who is talking about the CX-5 - and mentioned that he purchased a Venza as a placeholder car.

You two sound rather similar and I am starting to think you are actually just trolling...

Yeah thats me. I was in the MArket last year for a CX-5 But held back because of the issues and reviews on the 2.0 and the tech issues.Resale is terrible on the 13's as well.

When I got surprising bites on the EX35 (part of the issue was travelling 100 miles for service and warranty work) I decided to unload it and buy a Mazda 3. A vehicle most like the EX.

Test drove a 2.0 and decided a 2.5 s Touring would be the car. NO one had one. They said there was only one white one the east coast so I knew they were setting me up to pay more than I should and I did not want to put a deposit on a car I did not see or drive. So I punted. Came here, read of the bugs in the infotainment system and decided to hold off. I did not want to beta test a new design first year car.

In the mean time i found a loaded 2012 Venza for less than I sold the Infiniti for and thousands less than the Mazda would have cost so I bought it as a placeholder until I decide what I want. Judging from the 2013 CX-5 GTS advertised for $23000 I have to think the trade value is somewhere around $19,000. That is too much of a hit but its good news if I want a used Mazda 3 GT in a year or two.

The thing that really turned me off was the Service Center. They do not give loaners. Toyota does and their VSA are dirt cheap as well. I paid $508 for a 6/75 0 deductible Platinum exclusionary Toyota Vehicle Service Contract from a discount seller at Greenfield Toyota (FD-Warranty,com) That will help sell my car when it's time. That is why I bought the Toyota. Discount warranties are available t purchase out of state for Toyotas Hondas and Fords. The Infiniti had 3/36 from payday for $902. The buyer bought it.

So I am not trolling except for information and seeing who is having issues and what they are and what the resale is. Yes I bought a used HHR 2LT cheap back in 09 and gave it to my son who still has it. Not a bad car but lots of little issues not a Toyota, or Mazda. I won't buy another GM vehicle again. or Ford unless its a truck. The 2013 Escape had too many recalls. The Venza has all the niceties of the Infiniti. JBL System is great, NAV is perfect, iPod is perfect BT works like it should, Leather and all the good stuff but it wallows down the road and is a slug that gets 28MPG. But its refined technically.

I did not want the 6 cylinder for thousands more. It was just a faster slug. But it has a ton of Home Depot room and will hold its value fairly well going forward if I sell it privately like I do most vehicles. I will likely go for a Japanese premium brand again or see how much of a bargain the Mazda 3 GTs is in a couple years used. My guess...$18K for a 3 GTs with 26K miles without the E-Loop package. About the same I will get for the Venza.

Last edited:
Back