I hate windshield issues.

arcane73

IT'S NOT CUTE!!!!
:
03 Laser Blue Protege 5
A short time ago I had to replace my gf's windhshield in her '96 protege. I used the company my insurance agent said good things about, you know.."never had any problems or complaints". Well, 2 windshields and 3 refits later...it stops leaking. Then i had to go around and around with the windshield guys about the 6 pounds of black goo sticking out of the corners of her headliner.

Fast forward to last week: Got the service department at the dealership where i bought my 5 to replace the windshield in my car. Keep in mind, I had tried my best to live with the severely pitted glass that was on the car. They kept promising me they had a company that could do it with NO PROBLEMS. I drop off my car Monday morning and pick it up Monday after work. Again, "you're set to go!". Rain Sunday night and yesterday morning. I didn't drive my car at all yesterday. Get in this morning.......the wet carpet smell....Driver's floorboard and mat...soaked. ARRRRGGHHH!!!!!!!

(deadhorse

this is the reason I drive my car every day with a little tiny chunk of glass chipped out right in the line of sight while driving... It sucks that it is there but I have had a shlew of issues w/replacement glass in my life. I will avoid it like the plague

What is the dealer gunna do for you besides fixing the leak. I say a serious detailing is in order.

DeanSweet said:
What is the dealer gunna do for you besides fixing the leak. I say a serious detailing is in order.

I'm not going to bust anyone's balls over it. But i will insist that it be fixed to my complete and total satisfaction. Hopefully, they will be kind enough to take it upon themselves to do something kind like a total detail.....It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't told the service writer the full story with details as to WHY i didn't want it replaced in the first place. (bang)

I hate them also. Mine leaked and they used a generic weatherstrip around it. Looked like s*** and messed up the paint. I eventually figured out the leak. Half of the windshield wasn't sealed. I could push the passenger side out about 1.5 inches....friggin idiots. And once again the weatherstrip is coming off.

im surprised you guys have such a huge problem with this............ bring it back and tell them to fix it ..... i mean did u guys ******* watch them fix it?

DeanSweet said:
this is the reason I drive my car every day with a little tiny chunk of glass chipped out right in the line of sight while driving

There are repairs for chips that don't involve replacing the entire windshield. Basically they just fill the hole with epoxy. They are not perfect, but the index of refraction of the plastic is a lot closer to that of the glass than was the air, so the chip is less obtrusive. You can either pay a shop to do it or do it yourself, see for instance:

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/html/ccr/ccr20021201wc.html

trust me, if it were one spot i would have fixed it. But my windshield looked as if someone had bead blasted it. I'll talk to the dealer in detail in the morning. I'll let him take a wiff of the interior too...starting to smell a bit sour. Not at all thrilled about this.

and no ghetto, i left it and took a loaner to work. I trusted them to take care of the problem. I don't have a problem with the dealership, just a problem with the glass company that did it. We'll see how it pans out.

i had a windshield replaced in my pro install is fine but A-holes riped a small hole in mine interior roof panel I tell you no one cares about my baby like i do.

when you're having a continuous problem with a leaky windshield it's because they're just using really bad generics. find out from the dealer what the OEM brand windshield is for the car and tell them that's what you want. most people don't know they can actually request the brand of windshield. the generics shape can get so bad they don't fit cause they don't actually have the original template for moulding the glass. so pretty much it's a copy of a copy. they are some good generics but sometimes even good generics could get a whole bad batch that the curve on them come out to flat so they don't sit on the body right.

hey Pasadena_commut, my insurance paid the $50 to have that done by local window replacement facility. They said the chip was too deep but the filler would keep it from getting any worse. Funniest part is that the hole was less noticable before they applied that resin. Light would just go thru it and you would see a refraction of light beam every so often, with the resin applied, it dispereses the light completely so it sticks out more!? :)

update: Swimming Pool in the driver's floorboard from the constant rain which is to continue tomorrow. Glass company says it will be tomorrow before they could get to it. Raised 85 levels of hell in the nicest way possible and decided to leave it at the dealership tonight and calm down with the hopes that it will be remedied tomorrow.

DeanSweet said:
Funniest part is that the hole was less noticable before they applied that resin. Light would just go thru it and you would see a refraction of light beam every so often, with the resin applied, it dispereses the light completely so it sticks out more!? :)

Strange. My 323 had some windshield chips filled, maybe .3 inch for the biggest one, and they were much less visible after than they were before.

Are there a lot of bubbles trapped in the resin?

Back