I am SHOCKED!

I am utterly shocked at how well my 2012 3 handles in the snow.

Southeastern Michigan experienced it's first significant snowfall of the year; almost 8 inches in my neck of the woods. I had the pleasure of driving home during rush hour last night and through my almost unplowed neighborhood this morning. I had little tire slip (the traction control only briefly kicked on once or twice) and I didn't slide all over the place while braking.

So, I wanted to share this just in case anyone considering buying one wondered how it does in moderate snow. :)

Like the last poster mentioned, but good set of tires will go along way. I had upgraded my tires to Continental ExtremeContact DWS and the 3 handled amazing in rain/snow/ice.

Also, you may want to shut your traction control off in deep snow, because you want some slippage, not the engine cutting power to your tires.

I agree that tires do go a long way, but I always had good tires on my other cars and none of them handled quite like this one. My 5 also handles rather well, but the 3 seems a bit better. Compared to my old Vibe, my Alero, my Saturn and especially my Charger, the 3 has got to be the best snow-handling 2WD car I've driven to date.

OP, just curious, I presume you are on the stock tires?

We have received little to no snow in the Chicagoland area, so I have not had the opportunity to see how the car handles.

We've had no snow of any significance here in MD (so the stores are still stocked with bread, milk and toilet paper ;) ) --but we did have some freezing rain and icy mess, which is IMO worse than snow to drive in. My 3 is brand new--<300 mi on the clock. It came with Bridgestone Turanzas. They did seem to do a pretty decent job.

What other tires, if any, does the 3 come with stock?
Cheers,
~T

Although my next set of tires will definitely be Continental ExtremeContact DWS, I have to say the ONLY thing the stock Bridgestone Turanzas are good for is winter-weather driving. Last Friday, when I wasn't stuck behind people driving well below the speed limit and riding their brakes due to a few inches of snow, I was impressed with how these otherwise awful tires handled the snow. When roads opened up and few obstacles were in the way, I had a great time.

I'd like to get summer performance tires (and possibly wheels at least an inch wider), but this unpredictable Philly weather makes no sense. I can't justify winter tires because there could be long periods of time with no winter precipitation whatsoever, and then I can't justify driving with summer performance tires all year round because of those occasional chances of winter weather. This would be such an easy decision just south or just north of here... hahaha.

I'd like to get summer performance tires (and possibly wheels at least an inch wider), but this unpredictable Philly weather makes no sense. I can't justify winter tires because there could be long periods of time with no winter precipitation whatsoever, and then I can't justify driving with summer performance tires all year round because of those occasional chances of winter weather. This would be such an easy decision just south or just north of here... hahaha.

You could get winter performance tires. They wear a long longer than regular winter tires and will not penalize you as much in the handling department.

I live in Vancouver BC, we only get about 3-5 days of snow a year, our winter temps average 25F-45F, but it rains a lot so comes the threat of ice. We have lots of snow here too which amplifies the effects of snow and ice, so I don't take my chances, I wear winter rubber. I want to be one of those people who brag that he doesn't get stuck in the snow, doesn't slide through intersections at the bottom of a hill, etc.

GoBackToSleep -

What is it you don't like about the Turanzas? How are they in the rain? (all we seem to have had on the roads here in MD is salt). They seem a little noisy on the hwy to me, but I can't tell if it's the tires or lack of sound insulation. The car is new and I haven't pushed it to any limit, so can't comment on the handling (though IIRC the Turanza isn't a hi-po tire). Also the treadwear is rated only 300. I had Continental ContiPro Contacts on my Golf, and they seemed pretty good.

And yea, I share your feelings about the wishy-washy mid-Atlantic weather. Have to be prepared for anything (winter 2009-2010?) or nothing at all.

Cheers,
~T

The Turanzas have been quite alright in the rain for me, but I can definitely say they performed above average (for all-season tires) in winter weather. Besides the low treadwear rating, my main concern with these tires is that, in spirited driving or even in low-speed parking lot maneuvers, they have absolutely little to no grip. They're very noisy (they squeak even at low speeds) and I believe that they only managed something along the lines of 0.79G in performance tests. I know that, in daily driving, I will never reach such grip limits unless I'm in an emergency situation, but I'd rather have better wearing, better performing, and quieter tires (whether all-season or summer) than these overpriced wastes of vulcanized rubber. There are better tires (Kumho Ecsta 4X, Continental ExtremeContact DWS, etc.) that actually cost LESS than these. I would absolutely not replace these tires with the same ones. No way.

costing less.....to the end user...but probably not for mazda. They broker deals with the tire manufacturers for bottom dollar, retail prices are irrelevant. I dont think I have ever replaced a set of OEM tires with the same tire to tell you the truth.

Back