How To Use Seafoam To Clean Your Engine

What I was talking about is pooling of seafoam in the intake manifold when doing the treatment. After the engine has been off and you fire it up go easy with the throttle. The more you get on it the more "extra" will get pulled through the system. You shouldn't throw a cel if you take it easy. An ECU reset is a good idea. (after you do the entire treatment including the burn off) Same with an oil change.

But you will throw a cel the moment you pull the brake booster, otherwise no need to reset anything.

Ok i have an observation note after seafoam treatment (my review is in the how to thread):

Yesterday i was driving with low tank (the gas light turned on). The car was full too + some shopping bags on the back. I filled the car 5 bucks of gas because it was too expensive where i bought it. I'm driving a steepish road and some horse riders are in the way (they do that in PR in the nights in the rural area, they get together and make trips... "cabalgatas"). I floor it to pass them and notice PINGING / KNOCKING?!? in 5000-6500 rpms!? I never heard it before like that!!

When i got home, i made a few runs without all the weight and this time i didn't hear it.

What could have happened? What causes pinging? How pinging/knocking sounds? I'm not even sure if that's pinging lol. I know i've heard people say locally "valvuleo", i suppose it has to do with the valves. (dunno)

Last edited:
5 bucks of gas really isnt much, so if your going up a hill the gas could have not been getting to the lines constantly, so that might make some noise. but that would usually be followed by a studdering.

but who knows what it could be. switch to diff gas and then see how she runs up hills and whatnot.

This almost sounds too good to be true, if not for ALL of the good reviews this stuff gets.
Alright so I am due for an oil change with my spring tune-up. This question has been asked, but no really definitive answer has been given. The Amsoil synthetic I use is 40$ for a full oil change, so I don't exactly feel like just dumping an extra 40$ down the drain to clean up the mess the seafoam will have dislodged. Can I just poor a quart or 2 of el-cheapo oil into the crankcase and let it drip out with the deposits, and then add the (synthtic) Amsoil when it's done dripping out of the engine? I know you aren't supposed to go back to regular oil when you have switched to synthetic, but would it be a problem if you never turn on the engine?
I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate a thorough answer to this question...

Chicoloco said:
i filled her with some premium gas. I'll recreate the scene and see what happens.

Ok, after some time of using the car, the pinging did not return anywhere. So i assume it was the crappy gas on the bottom part of the gas tank plus all the load of people in the car (+800lbs!!).

I feel the engine running smoothly.

Has anyone flooded their engine before? I used a n00b to control the throttle inside the car and he didn't know how to keep the car running so it died 3 times now and will not start.

DeadGeneration said:
Has anyone flooded their engine before? I used a n00b to control the throttle inside the car and he didn't know how to keep the car running so it died 3 times now and will not start.

it will start but it will take a little bit tell it starts. HOld the throttle while cranking it also.

CulRidr said:
This almost sounds too good to be true, if not for ALL of the good reviews this stuff gets.
Alright so I am due for an oil change with my spring tune-up. This question has been asked, but no really definitive answer has been given. The Amsoil synthetic I use is 40$ for a full oil change, so I don't exactly feel like just dumping an extra 40$ down the drain to clean up the mess the seafoam will have dislodged. Can I just poor a quart or 2 of el-cheapo oil into the crankcase and let it drip out with the deposits, and then add the (synthtic) Amsoil when it's done dripping out of the engine? I know you aren't supposed to go back to regular oil when you have switched to synthetic, but would it be a problem if you never turn on the engine?
I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate a thorough answer to this question...

Do the seafoam before you are scheduled for an oil change
Seafoam will dilute the carbon deposits so it's no prob. It's not like an engine flush...

Last edited:
Ok. Well the car wont start so we replaced the spark plugs, but they won't fire and the wires are corroded so were going to replace them tomorrow morning. The goal is to get the plugs to fire before we will even get the thing working. Do you think seafoam would have sent the plugs and wires over the edge. They obviously need to be replaced anyway but why did they decide to crap out right when were doing the sea foam. Maybe because were pushing the engine hard since its stuggling to stay alive with the sea foam?

Car is dead right now, any input would be cool before I wake up in the morning and replace the plugs and hope it works

Car is dead right now, any input would be cool before I wake up in the morning and replace the plugs and hope it works

Ok. I found out the spark plugs in the car are not the exact recommended ones but they worked I guess. Anyway, i'm replacing with a plug that is recommended for the car and picking up the correct wires for them tomorrow as well. Hope the wires are the reason it's not sparking.

DeadGeneration said:
Ok. I found out the spark plugs in the car are not the exact recommended ones but they worked I guess. Anyway, i'm replacing with a plug that is recommended for the car and picking up the correct wires for them tomorrow as well. Hope the wires are the reason it's not sparking.

how do you know that the spark plugs arn't getting any spark? My car when I did the seafoam I had to hodl the gas whiel crankign it to get it to start.

Back