How to take apart headlights?

Rism

:
2003 WRX
Where did the how to go? I wanna paint my headlight housing but dont know how the hell to get em apart.

take the headlight..bake it in the oven at 175 degrees until the silicone is soft enough to pry apart. paint headlight, then do the reverse when you want to attach the lens/housing back together

bake it at around 175 for around 8-10 minutes. wear gloves when trying to pry them apart because it will be HOT.

note: before you bake them, make sure you take off all of the plastic pieces from the back of the light assembly.

^^^ I think he means the rubber pieces... but yeah, wear gloves and don't get the goo all over your lense.

yes, rubber pieces. but there is also white plastic caps over the headlight adjustment screws.

Do you guys use an X-zacto knife or razor at the seam to seperate the two or just pull them apart and hope for the best?

i used my hands to pull them apart. i remember someone saying that they did one light by cutting the glue and another only by hand. the one that was cut with a knife eventually had condensation. not sure if it was a direct corolation, but after reading that, i used my hands.

when i did it i got some glue on the lens if that happens... get some 3M adhesive remover... the same kind to remove the side fenders... that stuff get the glue off like a champ.

is there any special paint to use? doesnt the headlights get hot? would black primer do because i just want a flat black look in them.

go to your local hobby store or wal-mart or someplace that carries spray paint and pick up some BBQ paint...its used to paint barbecues so it has very high temp tolerance...thats good for blacking out your headlights

dude... don't go w/ n e flat color... i did and it looks pretty bad and u loose a lot of brightness at night... just my 2 cents

you dont need to use any high temp paint because your headlights dont get that hot. any flat black paint is fine, just ty to get a brand that has the fan spray nozzles because it flows better and you get a more even finish. personally, i prefer the semi-gloss black finish. it isnt dull, but it also isnt that glossy.

i didn't lose any brightness from the headlights cuz i didn't black out the reflector. probably lost the glare from the bezel and that's it

Back