How to remove/reinstall headliner Mazda5

I just snapped off the antenna on my 2006 Mazda5 backing out of my garage. A long antenna like that on top of a tall car is bad design. I tried to unscrew what was left with pliers but could not. I just bought a new base ($80!) and I was hoping there was a way to replace it without removing the headliner but it looks like I will have to. I might try drilling out the broken plug first. I don't suppose there are instructions anywhere online for how to remove and reinstall the headliner? I have searched quite a bit and found nothing. Thanks!

Scott

I would not try to drill as you will slip and cause more damage.

I know that to lower just a portion of the liner from the rear door area is easy if I recall. It is as simple of ripping off (with ease) the plastic liner on the inward edge of the back hatch opening. There are some plastic tabs to lower the liner enough to do your work.

Let a body shop or mazda do if if you wish.

See the attached.

I haven't removed mine, I ended up not putting in an overhead DVD player. Nor have I swapped out the antenna on this car.

By the way, you can get a "shark fin" type antenna that would prevent that type of accident from happening again.

Attachments

• DVD_Kit_Non-Moonroof_(Mazda5).pdf
    597.8 KB · Views: 1,045
Thanks. I was looking at the rear section of the headliner and I think I will be able to lower it enough to replace the part without having to completely remove it. I plan on getting a stubby/short antenna to replace the long one that broke off.

Please take some pictures when you are doing it. It would be nice to see how it is done in case our antenna ever breaks off.

I did this today. Took about 45 minutes but by following my instructions and photos it should take much less. The only tool you need other than your hands is a wrench and possibly a shop light. Now that I have the base replaced I can get either a shark fin or one of the stubby antennas.

http://cid-a11ab21b76c441bc.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/How to replace antenna on Mazda5

Sweet ! Thanks for share! (usa)

You don't have to remove the base to fit a shark fin or a stubby.

True, but... for those of us that want to remove the antenna completely and relocate someplace else or buy a different type, THIS HELPS ! :) Oh oh.... Idea coming... yup, just got an idea... must, write, it down... Okay, done, Sweeeett... (cheers2)

You do if you broke off the antenna and there is no way to attach a new one ;)

Point, = be true (thumb)

Peace!(rei)

I broke off mine awhile back the same way you did. I was able to use a screw extractor to get the broken threaded portion of antenna out of base. Have you tried that 1st? btw: I then did go to the shark fin.

The part that broke off was bent at a sharp angle and couldn't be removed. I believe it damaged the base. Darn garage door came down on it while backing up. Even scratched the roof a bit.

So... I read this thread a few days ago, and just this morning my wife backed out of our garage and caught the antenna on the door (we just bought a new house). Didn't damage the antenna... this time, though I do need to do something about the antenna. For now I just unscrewed it, we don't listen to the radio that much anyway, but I do need to do something. I saw this at a Mazda Parts site, a short antenna:

http://www.mazdaparts.org/mashan.html

$29 plus shipping.

Or I can spend over $80 on the Sharkfin antenna... just joking, the Sharkfin looks nice and is painted to match the car's color, but $80 is just too much for me to spend on it.

Last edited:
The shark fin looks nice buy $80? No thanks. There is a large selection of short antennas here http://www.stubbyantenna.com and less $29.
Is that what you bought?

I'm looking at this one, $13 shipped and only 2.55" long (about 6 cm).

A_Black-b.jpg

Sure, radio reception will decrease, but I rarely listen to the radio and when I do I'm listening to local signals. I can always put the OEM antenna back on for road trips. And there is virtually no chance of this one getting caught on my garage door. Plus surely it is shorter than the $80 sharkfin antenna (remember that it will be at an angle, thus only 1.25" or 1.5" above the height of the Mazda5).

Last edited:
Looking at the car closer, it looks like a 4" antenna would work as well since the front of the roof is higher than the rear.

That is, if your garage door would hit a 4" antenna, it would hit the top of your roof. Remember that the antenna is angled so a 4" antenna is not 4" high, it's maybe 2.5" high (but long).

Just replace the head unit. Take a look at what I put in:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123752412

The cost is $130 (JVC KD-S100 from Crutchfield), includes kit, harness, shipping. You can then add an iPod adapter for $25.

This would give you .mp3 capability through a CD-R, front-mounted USB port, or a SD card. Or the iPod if you go with an iPod adapter (I don't have an iPod adapter). I've since put the trim ring on, it looks good now.

Last edited:
Back