Mazda5 New Head Unit / Speaker Installation ('09 Sport)

Heat

I’m in the process of replacing my head unit as well as all four speakers in my ’09 Sport. The head unit is the JVC KD-S100, the speakers are Infinity Reference Speakers (one component – 6820cs, the other just 2-way speakers, 6822cf). Got a good package deal - $230 with kit, harness, etc from Crutchfield (this particular bundle doesn’t exist anymore).

The point of this thread was to give some tips / pictures to people who want to do this work.

Rear speakers: Remove the rear seats, takes about five minutes (five 14mm bolts) and makes access much easier. Plus it’s good to remove them to see how much room there is in case you ever need to haul something of size. For what it’s worth, the rear seats weigh about 63 pounds (28.5 kilograms).

Another tip: when replacing the rear speakers, just remove the panel from one side at a time so that you know where the screws and plastic clips belong.

At one point I had one old speaker and one new speaker installed, I turned on the OEM radio to see how much of a difference there was. The Infinity speaker sounded better, not by a huge amount but there was a difference.

As far as the time goes, it probably took an hour to do these speakers, if I had to do it again I could cut the time down to about twenty-five minutes including the time it takes to remove / reinstall the rear seats.

Head unit: I ended up removing probably more than I needed to but in the end I finally got the old radio out. With regard to the kit, the kit from Crutchfield that says it is for the ‘06/’07 Mazda5 with manual climate control but it works fine in the ‘08/’09 Mazda5s with automatic climate controls. Note the one picture of the new kit showing that the climate control is its own separate unit, the kit just covers it.

You will need to remove the white clips from the OEM radio and put them on the new clip though, this is what keeps the top of the kit secure to the dash - there is a picture of these white clips below.

I’m not completely done with the radio so no final picture yet, my kids wanted to go to the water park and when I returned it was too dark to keep working on the head unit. Right now I have an issue with the radio in that it doesn’t want to snap into place, I don’t know if the wires in the back are getting bundles up or what the issue is but I’ll work on that issue tonight.

With regard to the time, I have about 90 minutes into it including the time it took to connect the harness to the radio and probably have another 30 minutes remaining.

Front component speakersThey aren’t installed yet.

Attachments

• Rear speaker Location.JPG
    Rear speaker Location.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 3,394
  • Rear Seats.JPG
    Rear Seats.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 2,342
  • Speakers side by side.JPG
    Speakers side by side.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 2,681
  • Removing cup holder.JPG
    Removing cup holder.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 6,394
  • Removing lower panel.JPG
    Removing lower panel.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 6,592
Last edited:
Some more pictures.

Attachments

• Rear Seat Removed.JPG
    Rear Seat Removed.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 2,422
  • side panel.JPG
    side panel.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,421
  • New Kit.JPG
    New Kit.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 3,024
  • White Clips.JPG
    White Clips.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,486
  • New Radio.JPG
    New Radio.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 3,473
Here's another picture, this one showing the bottom of the kit (there are the white clips at the top, the two screws at the bottom).

Attachments

• Kit Screws.JPG
    Kit Screws.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,639
Last edited:
Thanks for the pics of the kit.
I too replaced my speakers, added an amp and subwoofer but did not replace the radio yet.

CDs and my IPOD via the aux jack sound great but I was never impressed with the sound of the OEM tuner.
Sirius radio sounds much better.

How is the fit of the crutchfied kit once everything was buttoned up?
Do you have steering wheel controls?
If so, do you also plan to integrate them with the new unit? (if the unit allows)

How is the fit of the crutchfied kit once everything was buttoned up?
It's a good fit. I need to remount the radio and will try to change the angle a little (to make it a little more horizontal), but it's good.

To make a long story short I had used the clips that came with the kit to mount the radio but the depth wasn't there (the radio kept popping out), so I went with the mounting cage that came with the radio. Now the depth is fine but I need to remove everything to secure the mounting cage to the kit (bending metal tabs on the mounting cage to keep it attached to the kit). Like what is shown in Post #2, middle picture, except a little more out. Hard to explain, I'll take pics when I get it done.

Do you have steering wheel controls?
No. I could have bought a $75 adapter that would have let me use steering wheel controls:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SWIJACK/PAC-SWI-JACK.html?tp=3405

but I don't like / use steering wheel controls for audio. I can easily reach the knob on the radio to change the volume.

Last edited:
Hey Heat!

Nice job!

I just got my new 09 replacing my 06 and I need to run a ground loop isolator and would preferably like to hide it in the console. The 06 was nice because the center console wasn't monoblock and I could put the wire under the center console above the carpet.

Anyways... with that monoblock console things are gonna be more of a challenge.

Questions:
  1. is removing the cup holders a matter of only pullling on it or are threre screws?
  2. I see they added another screw for the side panels... As for the shiter cover does it just pull like the 06? Do you know guys about AT? Can I just pull both plastic covers on each side of the "shifter"?
  3. Do you know if I could "hack" my aux input from the inside? ie putting between the jack and the radio? What does the 3.5mm jack looks like from the inside? Any pics or links?

I finally found a 3.5mm ground loop islotator so I will finally be able to ditch my radio-shack big RCA plugs isolator. For now the only thing I found would be to glue if close to the input jack, but that wouldn't be very professional... That's why I would like to hook it up on the inside...

Thanks!

Removing the cup holders is a snap. Literally. Also, the piece with the Aux In and the DC Volt plug also snaps in. You can look at the back of your Aux In plug in about five or ten seconds with no tools.

As far as the plate covering the manual transmission shifter, it snaps off. I assume the AT plate also just snaps off, but I don't know for sure.

By the way, while taking out the old radio I looked at that faceplate a little closer. The black rectangle under the radio, which covers the hole where tape deck would go if you bought a factory cassette tape deck, can be removed by removing the radio from the faceplate (you have to take the radio competely out). But then there is a rectangular space under the radio that could be used for a storage pocket - there is no pre-made kit that I know of but something could be fashioned. I won't be doing since I don't have the factory radio in my car anymore.

Attachments

• Aux In Jack & Hole.jpg
    Aux In Jack & Hole.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 2,446
  • Back of Aux In Jack.jpg
    Back of Aux In Jack.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 2,153
  • Place for Tape Deck.jpg
    Place for Tape Deck.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 2,171
  • Back of OEM Radio Face Plate.jpg
    Back of OEM Radio Face Plate.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 2,522
  • Place for Tape Deck 2.jpg
    Place for Tape Deck 2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 2,145
Last edited:
Very nice Heat.

My wife and I are contemplating a similar setup. The factory radio sucks IMO. When we add sound deadening material (road noise is killing us) - we might just improve the stereo while we're in there.

thanks.
michael.

Thanks Heat!

Very nice! Before I take this apart, can anyone tell me more about this white plug end of the audio input? What standard is this? Any known 3.5mm converter for this?

Goal: put a ground loop isolator between this plug and the radio...

Thanks for this used it this weekend when I was changing out the rear speakers. Next step is changing the ones in the front doors.

I never did get to the front door speakers (component speakers). Please take / post some pictures when you do the job.

I'm in the middle of buying a new house and getting my old house cleaned up / ready for sale, a ton of work that is taking my free time. Plus my stock speakers don't sound bad so I'm not in a real rush to get the job done. Then again, I have the new speakers sitting in a box in my garage - my current plan is to get them installed in November sometime.

I noticed nobody has posted to this thread in a while. So I'm bringing it back to life to see if anybody can give some info on how to install a ground loop isolator to my factory stereo. I have a 2010 Mazda5 sport, and based on the pics, I see that the back of the aux plug is not the standard one that I was expecting to see. did not see a pic of the back of the stereo. if anybody has more info as to what the aux connections look like, it will be greatly apreciated.

Attached are some pictures of the rear of the OEM radio ('09 Sport).

Attachments

• radio1.jpg
    radio1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 2,226
  • radio2.jpg
    radio2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,841
  • radio3.jpg
    radio3.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,694
installed some deadening in the front doors behind the oem speakers in preparation of installing new comps when the arrive. Does anyone know which is the positive/negative on the fronts? Driver side is red & white wires, passenger side is gray & yellow.

I noticed nobody has posted to this thread in a while. So I'm bringing it back to life to see if anybody can give some info on how to install a ground loop isolator to my factory stereo. I have a 2010 Mazda5 sport, and based on the pics, I see that the back of the aux plug is not the standard one that I was expecting to see. did not see a pic of the back of the stereo. if anybody has more info as to what the aux connections look like, it will be greatly apreciated.

Ditto on this. I am going to be replacing ours soon and would like to make use of the existing aux line. Is it at all possible to use that thing w/o having to cut the factory wires and splice on something (like an RCA or 1/8" stereo)?

Last edited:
I have a 2nd or 3rd G Ipod nano hooked up to our 09 5 aux input plug right below the shifter with a 3.5mm cord and a seperate power supply in the 12v plug right there as well. It works well, have to turn the Ipod volume up to max, then use all of the steering wheel controls work to control song selection & volume. Just use the mode button on the SW to change it to radio, etc., or press the CD,etc. button. I don't plan on changing out the factory HU though as I don't think its work the effort IMO.

Huh? The aux port allows use of the steering wheel controls? I don't recall that working at all with my wife's iphone.

If you're comment is directed towards me, that is correct, but I stated it was an early model ipod nano, not an Iphone which has probably has totally different software, etc.

If you're comment is directed towards me, that is correct, but I stated it was an early model ipod nano, not an Iphone which has probably has totally different software, etc.

wait - just so we're clear - the only connection between your Nano and the car is the 3.5mm jack?? Nothing else?

Back