HOW TO: Protege Garage Turbo Inlet Install

Hey man...

To get the battery box out you need to disconnect the positive and negative battery cables, and the two bolts for the hold down.

Then remove the battery itself and take out the three bolts at the bottom of the battery box.

After that you'll need to disconnect the ECU harness. It's those two big clips on the left, if you're looking at it from the front of the car.

You're best suited to use a flathead screwdriver, and BE GENTLE. If you're getting too frustrated you can call it quits and bring it along to Carbon tomorrow.. We should be able to throw it in right on the street there.

PM me for my phone number if you need any more help. I think your best bet may be to wait until tomorrow though. It doesn't necessarily get easier after the box is out.

I got all that... I'm at the ECU part... Which way do the clips need to go for it to come out. Then... do I need to feed the terminal cables through the holes in the battery box before it can come out...

I won't be at Carbon tommorow, I have other plans already.

The clips can be kinda tricky if you're unfamiliar.

They hinge upward towards the battery box. You have to take the screwdriver at the catch and but a light amount of pressure on the catch and it'll pop up.

You will need to disconnect the battery cables from the box before you can remove it.

Alrighty. I got the battery box out after applying gentle pressure to the ECU clips.

Now for removing the stock inlet... I got all of the connections undone, except for the hose coming from the BPV. How in god's name do you take that thingy off? I clamped down the butterfly clip and pulled it, but it seems the rubber hose is on there really tight. Any advice?

That clip will reset if you apply the right amount of pressure. Then you can apply both hands to the hose. You'll need to twist it as you pull. It is kind of a b**** the first time.

I assume he is out driving and is not to tired and took a nap. that was kinda fun to read.

Haha... No sorry no pics. Install took a full 5.5 hours from start to finish! It was worth it though. There's no sound difference because there's no intake on yet (probably tommorow), but by the butt dyno I can feel the turbo spool up quicker and the power comes on more evenly and smoothly. Great piece, now I can't wait to get the intake in, then it will be amazing.

that connects to the wastegate control solenoid like the stock inlet did

Sorry when I wrote that I didn't realize that the stock one wouldn't fit into the new inlet.

Thanks a lot for the help guys. And thanks for the initial write up Doc, helped a ton. And one more thanks to Ken, this is an excellent piece that will be even better when I get hold of my intake. Thanks a lot for quick shipping and an awesome deal!

Ah, thought maybe whatever you were getting was on back order. You are just waiting for delivery. Cool, post up a pic when you get that intake in there! That will change a lot. Take that negative battery cable off while you intall the intake so your ECU can start over.

I got mine done today after work~ It all went it fairly easy. The car feels wayy better when getting on the gas through the gears, but here is a very interesting thing I noticed on my car. I noticed that while highway riding, cruising at my usual speed which is 75 mph, before the inlet was installed my mpg would read usually around 27.5. Now that i installed the inlet, i noticed that at the same speed i was now at around 30.3. now to make sure i wasnt seeing things i did it on multiple occasions same speed, same settings (ac etc). has anybody else noticed this at all, i mean the smoothness through the gears and hearing the turbo spool up louder were things that I saw everybody write about, but nothing really about mpg and such.

Mine is finally installed. it was not too difficult, with some mechanical experience. And remembering how things came apart is good also. It defintely completes the intake side of things on my car. The turbo is louder. Sounds aggressive. And throttle response has improved. Still playing with it though. So far so good! Thanks for offering this piece at a very reasonable price to the forum. has anyone noticed a shift in the power band? More low end or up at the top?

I got mine done today after work~ It all went it fairly easy. The car feels wayy better when getting on the gas through the gears, but here is a very interesting thing I noticed on my car. I noticed that while highway riding, cruising at my usual speed which is 75 mph, before the inlet was installed my mpg would read usually around 27.5. Now that i installed the inlet, i noticed that at the same speed i was now at around 30.3. now to make sure i wasnt seeing things i did it on multiple occasions same speed, same settings (ac etc). has anybody else noticed this at all, i mean the smoothness through the gears and hearing the turbo spool up louder were things that I saw everybody write about, but nothing really about mpg and such.

Now that you mention it, yes; I've noticed what appears to be an increase in economy.

Now that you mention it, yes; I've noticed what appears to be an increase in economy.

I`ll have to remember to set the trip meter next time I fill up and check to see exactly what mileage I`m getting, but now that I think about this, I`m pretty sure I`m getting an extra work run (one way about 25 miles) since the installation.

Back