how to install P5 Short Shifter????

I went with the full kit from TWM. Money well spent I feel. You get everything you need. And it looks super clean and shifts great with the new bushing!!

Tylor

I went with the full kit from TWM. Money well spent I feel. You get everything you need. And it looks super clean and shifts great with the new bushing!!

Tylor

yea dude go with TWM
i got that twm shifter in january
and wow its good stuff
real stiff shift and clean click into gear unlike that sliding in feelin with the stock
the throws are alot shorter
and it is quick install
get the bushings also
helps out alot with the feel and shift

but yea man TWM all the way its worth the cash
u get what u pay for

This is probably a stupid question, but ive been sick so I may not be thinking clearly. I took a look at the TWM instructions, and Im a bit confused about how the shift works. It looks like the connection on the bottom of the shifter would limit it to forward and backward, since it just a hole with a screw going thru it.. When shifting, you go left to right also. Do the bushings allow for this or am I missing something? :p

This is probably a stupid question, but ive been sick so I may not be thinking clearly. I took a look at the TWM instructions, and Im a bit confused about how the shift works. It looks like the connection on the bottom of the shifter would limit it to forward and backward, since it just a hole with a screw going thru it.. When shifting, you go left to right also. Do the bushings allow for this or am I missing something? :p

the twm is like normal shifting
xept the throws are shorter
and its the joint placement and then bottm that that connects to the linkage that change the throws
and bushings are for u to feel the engagement pt and catch pts better
also it stiffens the throws givin u the click into gear
rather than that squishy sliding effect into gear
i got the bushings and that took me bout 5mins to put in
and the shortshifter took a while cause the bolts kept fallin out while i was tryin to get it in with all the krap on the bottm but its worth it

Do the shifter bushings sold on Protegegarage.com fit with the B&M shifter? I was thinking of going with that, but was unsure about the bushings.

There's no reason not to do the bushings. They're cheap, and it's a 5-10 minute job at most. They improve shifter feel more than about anything you can do to the linkage. I got mine from TWM, but they're all more or less the same. I don't think any of them list durometer readings unfortunately

I know this is an old thread but my plastic bushing (white in color, pictured in TWM install guide) is rattling and its driving me nuts... do i need the bushing or can i remove it?

the white bushing is the pivot bushing, and you most definitely need it. if its loose, find out why, and replace any parts that are worn out. without seeing your shifter, my guess would be its the lower linkage bolt that's loose, and not the pivot bushing.

So I have a TWM short shifter on my car and it seems to rattle a lot at idle or when gassing at a low gear. When taking the console back out and taking a look at it I noticed that there isnt that rubber boot that sits on the shifter where the two white pieces connect together. Seen in step 8 in the instructions. I guess my brother threw it out when installing it. I know everything is tight on there but do you think that because I dont have that rubber thing on top is what causing it to rattle? Idk what it is. See I just connected the white things together and sat it on there without the rubber boot. What do you guys think? If i put it back on would it fix my rattle? And if so where can I even buy that. BTW its not hitting the heat shield i checked, its the stick itself rattling.

if you don't have the rubber boot on the bottom, yeah, that's a problem. you can get new ones from mazda, but i'm not sure of the availability - it might take some calling around.

the bushings should cost about $7 and the part number B455-46-086 (you will need two)
the rubber boot should cost about $5 and is part number B455-46-090

Dude wow man thanks so much for your help, i have the Kartboy bushing on but i think my brother threw the boot out and now that white plastic ring is vibrating on it. My computer broke so I lost the whole mazda part diagram pdf too which sucks. Thanks for finding that part no. for me bro, Ill def have to do it sometime this month.

The part that is vibrating is the White Plastic Retaining Ring. At the bottom of the TWM short shifter install manual it says replace the following:

Retaining Ring

O-ring

Snap ring

Could you help me with part numbers, im having a hard time locating them.

Thanks

The "AT" on that guide stands for "Automatic Transmission."

I feel like that may be part of the problem ;)

EDIT: Took some digging, Jim Ellis' site sucks, but here's the right one:
http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/s...odel=14367&modelYear=2003&ukey_category=20291

EDIT #2: except that it doesn't show the actual shifter parts, save for the knob. Fail :-/

Last edited:
Back