how to install P5 Short Shifter????

Sliver5

:
2002 Protege 5
OK I ordered the Kartboy SS and shifter base bushings but it didn't come with instructions, I searched but there isn't a DIY on how to install one. Can someone please help me, I got the brake cover, cup holders and the shift knob/boot off I just need to know where to go next TIA!

You need to pull out the whole center console to get to the e-clip that retains the shifter it pulls out from top. From under the car you need to unbolt the shift linkage to get the old shifter.

Last edited:
I did this about a month ago, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions. The TWM instructions tell you pretty much all you need to know, and make sure you lube the pivot ball well. I searched until I found silicone grease but most guys just use regular automotive grease. Make sure its in a tub, not in a can. You might need some liquid wrench for some of the bolts also. Kartboy's website has install instructions for the bushings, and that install is mostly just a lot of pushing, pulling and cursing.

I would really recommend changing your gear oil (I swear by Redline MT90) and upgrading to a weighted shift knob. I use the Greddy Counter Weighted and it's like buttah. Happy installing!

Instructions for TWM (pretty much the same).

thank you, that helped ALOT.

I did this about a month ago, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions. The TWM instructions tell you pretty much all you need to know, and make sure you lube the pivot ball well. I searched until I found silicone grease but most guys just use regular automotive grease. Make sure its in a tub, not in a can. You might need some liquid wrench for some of the bolts also. Kartboy's website has install instructions for the bushings, and that install is mostly just a lot of pushing, pulling and cursing.

I would really recommend changing your gear oil (I swear by Redline MT90) and upgrading to a weighted shift knob. I use the Greddy Counter Weighted and it's like buttah. Happy installing!

yeah I got the shifter in and then tried to get the bushings done but then it was getting dark out so I'm gonna try again today, I have a weighted shift knob I just have to change the little plastic insert so that it will fit. I also have to bend the heat sheild over the resonator a little bit so that the bottom of the shifter will stop rubbing on it other than that I love it. thanks for your help

did anyone get the Urathane bushings for the linkage?
because i need some assistance on removing the stock bushings and replacing it with the new urathane bushings?
and about the TWM shortshifter
when we put the the bolt thru the shifter in the bottom is there suppose to be only one spacer? that is kind of bent? on the pass. side?

I ended up cutting the stock bushing off and I'm not sure about the bottom bolt I don't really remeber.

I ended up cutting the stock bushing off and I'm not sure about the bottom bolt I don't really remeber.

haha yea i was bout to do that too
but i ended up figuring out the easiest way to get that out
use the stud that went thru the link and use that to push against the bushings
and it popped right out

that's what i had to do. i fought with mine for a few minutes before i realized that the sleeve just slid out of there and the bushing pushed out with a little persuasion.

that's what i had to do. i fought with mine for a few minutes before i realized that the sleeve just slid out of there and the bushing pushed out with a little persuasion.

yea same here too
but it was worth the work
and the TWM is great in height and throw

My shift knob is getting worn and I came across this thread. The short shifter looks great. Ive been driving with my standard shifter for 6 years now, I wonder if the short shifter would be easy to adjust to. I checked Kartboy, and they dont make short shifters anymore for Proteges. I checked out TWM website, and they have a complete kit for $278. Is this the recommended short shifter to get? I see some on Ebay for $25, but Im not sure about the quality and if they come with all the necessary hardware.

Any thoughts?

My shift knob is getting worn and I came across this thread. The short shifter looks great. Ive been driving with my standard shifter for 6 years now, I wonder if the short shifter would be easy to adjust to. I checked Kartboy, and they dont make short shifters anymore for Proteges. I checked out TWM website, and they have a complete kit for $278. Is this the recommended short shifter to get?

From me, yes. I love it :)

Did you get a shift knob by them? The classic knob is included in the $278 price. The knob by itself is pretty pricey @ $99. Im not sure if I want to spend that much on a knob. Is it worth it?

I can't remember why but at some point I had a discount code from them, and I think they were on sale when I bought mine. They actually have sales pretty often, so it may not be a bad idea to wait (unless you really want it now lol). I really like their knob. Good weight and it fits my hand well

My shift knob is getting worn and I came across this thread. The short shifter looks great. Ive been driving with my standard shifter for 6 years now, I wonder if the short shifter would be easy to adjust to. I checked Kartboy, and they dont make short shifters anymore for Proteges. I checked out TWM website, and they have a complete kit for $278. Is this the recommended short shifter to get? I see some on Ebay for $25, but Im not sure about the quality and if they come with all the necessary hardware.

Any thoughts?

Check out this link...there were a few Kartboys for MSPs left...I believe the only difference is that you would have to get another knob that fits MSP shifters (I would double check with them). I would double check. B&M also makes a shifter, as does Perrin (which I have seen described as "a hunk of s***") As far as adjusting, it's a pleasant surprise and I didn't really encounter any difficulty adjusting to the different height...it's a great mod! Make sure you get the bushings as well...

PS- Watch the FS threads...maybe you can pick this one up...

Last edited:
Who sells B&M shifters online? I checked B&M site and it shows the local stores like Autozone and Advanced Auto Parts. I know they wouldnt carry it in stock, maybe special order. I would rather buy from an online store.

Another thing I notice is on the Kartboy shifter it looks like the ball is not welded to the rod. How is it set in place? When I look at pictures of the TWM shifter, it looks like the ball is welded/blends in with the rod.

EDIT:

I just checked out Corksport site. Are they are reputable company? They sell a Corksport shifter and a bushings. The bushings actually look like the Kartboy yellow ones. They also sell the B&M shifter.

http://corksport.com/store/category/4qbv/99p-drivetrain.html

Thanks. I notice that most sites just sell the shifter but TWM shifter comes with All mounting hardware, Heatshield spacers, Special tools, and and installation manual. I may just go with TWM since its a complete package.

Question:
Is there a way to modify the stock shift boot to be used with a short shifter, or should I just buy a new boot that is made for the shifter?

Back