How To: Electric Window Always On

this thread is so old there are no pics :( im a visual learner, not just the kind of person that reads and gets it (though i was an english major in college... go figure lol)

check out the zapwizard.com site, and navigate to the protege mods, he describes them there, too; go to projects, car modding

I know, it's awesome. I make use of it all the time and wish all our vehicles had it.

i did this about a week ago and love it because now i dont get mad at my friends for being stupid. before they would wait till the last minute to roll up the windows and by then i shut the car off and was getting out. so i would have to put the key back in and turn the car on. it was just annoying. now it doesnt matter if my friends are stupid

This mod came in handy over the weekend when at a wedding. It was 90+ and an outdoor wedding and yeah that's all I'll say about that

I used this mod from 2003-2012. never an issue and a huge convinience!

trying to do this to my new car. hope it works just as well!

I have had this mod for some time now with no problem, absolutely love it and all my friends hate me that my windows work with no key in. But I work as a divermaster on a scuba diving boat and my car gets parked in a lot that is not patrolled and is kept there for long periods of time. For some time now I have been worried about someone prying the door open and hitting the window switch to get in my car. Yes I know that most people wouldn't know that the windows are on but people will do weird things. I know the essayist solution is to just remove the 30 amp fuse when you park but I wanted something a bit more easier. So I put a switch in the circuit to be able to kill the power to the windows very easily. Here is what I did.

Disclaimer. If you do this mod and your car goes boom, windows dont work, releases the mystical electric blue smoke, or a myriad of others possible problems its not my fault. If you cut yourself, stab yourself, burn yourself, or a myriad of other possible bodily injuries its not my fault. Do this mod at your own risk.

Materials and tools:
Phillips screw driver
10mm driver
wire cutters/ strippers
soldering iron/ solder
heat shrink
12 volt switch
16 gauge wire, 2 at a length at your discretion (optional, this is how I did mine.)
Friend to help
Beer to enjoy and pay friend for there help

Steps:

1. Go to local electronic store to get a 12 volt switch of you chose (16 gauge wire as well if your doing what I did). You can also get the beer if you dont have it already.

2. Do steps 1-6 on the first page of this thread. Here's a link http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?36875-How-To-Electric-Window-Always-On

3. When you get to step 7 remove the red/white wire from the connector.

4. Cut that wire in the middle of exposed wire from the loom. Strip the ends or both wires and tin with soldering iron.

5. Tin the 16 gauge wires and solder those to the 12 volt switch. Make sure to use heat shrink on the terminals of the switch so you have no shorts that can happen. These will act as extension leads to later be soldered to the red/white wire. You should now have this.
581521_573700452649821_569145556_n.jpg

6. Cut hole in kick panel that you removed in step 5 from first page of thread. I made mine where I dont have to reach down with my hand to open the switch. You can located yours where ever you want, just make sure you have room to put the panel back on with nothing will hit the switch and located it to where your foot wont hit it all the time. This is were I made my hole.
521494_573700479316485_1852586106_n.jpg

7. Put switch in hole. Open beers for you and friend as you are almost done. *sip... AHHHHHH refreshing.*
549853_573700502649816_608887109_n.jpg

8. Now here is where the friend comes in. Have him/her put their beer down and help hold wires for soldering. Solder the extension wire from switch to the red/white wire on loom and to the red/white wire that will go back into the plug. Again make sure to use heat shrink so no shorts happen.

9. Put the red/white wire pack into the connector (In correct spot to let you do this mod. See first post) and put the connector back into the fuse box.

10. Move the 30 amp fuse up to empty slot (step 9 in first post).

11. Once that is wired up I always recommended testing it as if there is a problem you want to do it now while its all taken apart. Plug battery back in if you disconnected it. If your windows work when the switch is closed and dont when your switch is open, take a drink of beer. Your almost done. MMMMMMM beer.

12. Put wires back into place and put it all back together. You should now have this. Clean up and finish beer.
562323_573700529316480_1957336993_n.jpg

I used the combination of this switch and this location for the switch so I dont have to lean down and use my hand to kill the power. I can just tap it with my foot and its good to go. Its a mad little mod that no one would know what it does unless I tell them and keeps people from easy entrance to my car as scuba equipment is not cheap!

Back