How To: EGR Removal and Cleaning for Rough Idle Fix

how the **** to you remove these bolts? i got one but the other far one is impossible...

i was able to get it off. i use a small 1/4 drive ratchet and a 12mm socket. took some muscle to brake it loose.
while i was at it i decided to paint the plastic solenoid red just for the hell of it

Hellu Everyone, I Want To Add some stuff to this "How To" maybe someone have mentioned in this long thread but here it is. If you are going to clean ur EGR you wont be complete unless you clean the hole that goes from EGR to Manifold. I was surprised when my car's hole :D was almost built up with carbon. It will be wise to remove the TB and blast some carb cleaner through the hole while the EGR is out so it can come out from their. Here are Some pic.

DSC04345.jpg

DSC04348.jpg

DSC04346.jpg

Last edited:
Dude those pics are GREAT, may I ask how in the holy **** did u take them? I thought I was going to need a double jointed spider monkey to get my EGR off, much less be up in there snapping awesome pictures!

Dude those pics are GREAT, may I ask how in the holy **** did u take them? I thought I was going to need a double jointed spider monkey to get my EGR off, much less be up in there snapping awesome pictures!

Those are not pictures looking up from the EGR valve, they're just looking into the intake manifold with the throttle body taken off. The EGR valve would be sitting below the hole that you see in those pictures.

I have been searching this thread for a while. Are there instructions on how to remove the throttle body to clean it? Or can you just spray a little TB cleaner in there? It is all taken apart, waiting for an answer b4 i put it back together. Also are there any clear signs that the egr should be replaced? the valve opens and the spring doesnt stick.

I have been searching this thread for a while. Are there instructions on how to remove the throttle body to clean it? Or can you just spray a little TB cleaner in there? It is all taken apart, waiting for an answer b4 i put it back together. Also are there any clear signs that the egr should be replaced? the valve opens and the spring doesnt stick.
in my case the engine would stall at traffic lights when my egr valve was bad. basically erratic engine rpm is a good sign its bad. carb cleaner should be enough to clean your throttle body.

Just adding myself to the countless that this post has helped. If you've flipped to the end for help, just read the first few pages as most of my questions were answered there.

For me, removing the air intake completely helped. Also, having a small 1/4" drive rachet really helped. Lastly - and can't stress this enough - make sure you clean the throttlebody! This is most necessary around the inlet from the throttlebody to the EGR.

My idle issues and stalling issues are fixed.

Thanks!

I've been having issues with my idle also. Autozone confirmed a bad o2 sensor and insufficient flow from EGR. I replaced the o2 sensor and removed and (tried to) clean my EGR valve. How clean is everyone getting theirs? Mine, like others, would not open. After soaking with brakleen for a while and rinsing it out repeatedly it finally opened a little. Oiled and moved the valve and repeated several times to where it was moving but it was hard to do so. Replaced everything and my idle is still having problems. Should it open and close easily? Should i replace it totally?

About 82k on the car without any previous knowledge of the EGR getting cleaned.

EDIT:

Ok so i may have pre-maturely posted... I unhooked the battery yo clear the code and there is rumor of a ~50mile distance for the computer to adjust things? is that correct? I've drove about 5 miles since the cleaning/battery reconnection.

Last edited:
I've been having issues with my idle also. Autozone confirmed a bad o2 sensor and insufficient flow from EGR. I replaced the o2 sensor and removed and (tried to) clean my EGR valve. How clean is everyone getting theirs? Mine, like others, would not open. After soaking with brakleen for a while and rinsing it out repeatedly it finally opened a little. Oiled and moved the valve and repeated several times to where it was moving but it was hard to do so. Replaced everything and my idle is still having problems. Should it open and close easily? Should i replace it totally?

EDIT:

Ok so i may have pre-maturely posted... I unhooked the battery yo clear the code and there is rumor of a ~50mile distance for the computer to adjust things? is that correct? I've drove about 5 miles since the cleaning/battery reconnection.

my egr valve cleaning only lasted about 1000 miles and i did what you did except i spent a whole day doing the soaking and degreasing and then oiling it up. in my opinion cleaning doesnt solve the problem. after cleaning mine it crapped out after a 1000 miles i decided to get a new one and the new one was redesigned and is now at 60000 miles while original lasted only 50000. also when you do this kind of maintenance you should unplug the battery so ecu has time to clear.

EDIT:

It's not a rumor - it's basic OBDII fact. When you disconnect the battery, the car has to "relearn" the previous driveability settings that were stored in the computer. It does usually take about 50 miles. Until then, you may get a bouncy or low idle, but if things don't improve, just replace the EGR valve.

my egr valve cleaning only lasted about 1000 miles and i did what you did except i spent a whole day doing the soaking and degreasing and then oiling it up. in my opinion cleaning doesnt solve the problem. after cleaning mine it crapped out after a 1000 miles i decided to get a new one and the new one was redesigned and is now at 60000 miles while original lasted only 50000. also when you do this kind of maintenance you should unplug the battery so ecu has time to clear.

You shouldn't oil it back up.... That's just gonna gum it up faster. (hand)

yeah I'm at about 70 miles now without any changes...The CEL cam back on so i'll get that checked and then determine the next move...most likely a new EGR.

That new spec one will eventually fail as well, if you want a true lasting fix go for the candian spec one. It runs hot coolant through the housing of the EGR to dissipate moisture inside the valve chamber.

That new spec one will eventually fail as well, if you want a true lasting fix go for the candian spec one. It runs hot coolant through the housing of the EGR to dissipate moisture inside the valve chamber.
egr valve with coolant in and out? how is that gonna work on us version without a way to have coolant go in there?

Latest posts

Back