How To: EGR Removal and Cleaning for Rough Idle Fix

are yougetting a CEL? if yes then check the code. i remember on my car i got something like a cylinder misfire or something.

7. Reassembly is the reverse of removal. I suggest resetting the PCM while doing this, so the EGR can readjust after you start it.

8. You may want to follow the Manual's suggestion of measuring the resistance of the pins, but my car runs ten times better now, and I have no stalling issues anymore.

How do I reset the PCM and how do I measure the resistance of the pins for a Mazda MP3 2001?

BTW, I'm at 69,000 miles, it just better to buy an new EGR?

Last edited:
How do I reset the PCM and how do I measure the resistance of the pins for a Mazda MP3 2001?

BTW, I'm at 69,000 miles, it just better to buy an new EGR?

By PCM I believe he means the ECU. And you can check reistance with a multimeter.

You can clean the EGR with success, but it will continue to clog up and need cleaning. If you get an updated EGR (Mazda did a re-design) or even better, a Canadian EGR valve, then you shouldn't need to clean it ever again. The Canadian ones are not cheap tho... Over $300 IIRC... You can find new ones (the redeisgned versions) on Ebay tho I think.

By PCM I believe he means the ECU. And you can check reistance with a multimeter.

You can clean the EGR with success, but it will continue to clog up and need cleaning. If you get an updated EGR (Mazda did a re-design) or even better, a Canadian EGR valve, then you shouldn't need to clean it ever again. The Canadian ones are not cheap tho... Over $300 IIRC... You can find new ones (the redeisgned versions) on Ebay tho I think.

ahhh, thanks man! :)

Read that the Canadian EGR was revised due to the cold weather there. That may explain why mine acted up yesterday when it was 50 degree's here in Calli.

So cal, nor cal, we cali ppl know what we're talking about, you outsider.

<~~~Born in So Cal... lol Moved to the nasty Nati when I was in 2nd grade.

I'm pickin up what your puttin down. How else would I have known how to correct it?? lol (lol2)

Pickin up what your putting down? hahaha

microman777, what city bro? You on mocc and/or scm?

The Canadian version is about $110 on RockAuto.com - what's weird is that it's actually cheaper than the normal EGR valve

Back