How-To: Clean Your MAF Sensor

Just went out and got the CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner and hope my husband can clean it tonight. I have a P0106 Code on our Protege 2000. How do can reset the Check Engine Light after cleaning the MAF Sensor?

disconnect the battery for a minute or so. Or just pull the ECU fuse.

The task is not starting on the right track - where is the MAF sensor located on a Protege 2000???

It is located in the air intake tube right after the air cleaner box top cover.
There are 2 screws holding it in place with an electrical connector attached.

Post#11 in this thread shows the air tube and air cleaner housing removed from car but with the sensor still installed in it.
(I did it with the air tube still under hood... just removed the sensor only)

Unplug connector, remove 2 screws... gently lift up and remove sensor assy.

The MAF sensors are actually inside the tube part of the sensor, they are delicate so be careful with the tube on the spray cleaner as mentioned above.
The IAT is easy to see... looks like a tiny blob of amber with 2 wires... go ahead and clean it too... can't hurt!
It took several short sprays to get mine (actual MAF sensors) clean...if held just right you can see the little wire and when it is clean.

Carefully reinstall into air tube paying attention to the O-ring seal and screw back down securely. Plug back in.
Pull battery cable to clear codes and reset ECU, then reconnect.

Start engine, drive... enjoy! (hopefully!) (naughty)

I just cleaned mine today after pulling a P1170 and P1171 code (and the car was running absolutely horrible... thought the auto trans was going out!:eek:)

Appears to have solved everything!

First time cleaning... I am at 53,000 on a 2000 Proto 1.6 LX

Last edited:
tried this recently w/o knowing about this write up. pretty straight forward, and simple to follow. no noticable gains in horsepower on the butt-dyno as the product claims but revs feel smoother especially in the low rpm. it could be psychological but i also wasnt expecting a miracle.

one thing about the MAF cleaner vs. general purpose air in a can: compressed air that may be sold as "electronics cleaner" are known to use chemical propellants that are not necessarily great for electronics. any manufacturer can relabel a can of compressed air and call it a day. check the contents before using it on vital electronics.

update: after a short time, the car feels exactly like it did before, so im cleaning the air filter and trying the maf cleaner again soon. its been quoted that the protege maf is good enough to burn off excess dirt/oil from the K&N filters so i wonder if the maf cleaner is effective at all.

Last edited:
you dont really need the pictures. if you can use a screw driver, you can remove the air flow sensor easily and finish in time for man vs. food.

Back