how to adjust throttle position sensor

c4racer

anybody know the proper way to adjust a TP sensor when replacing it?

The service manual fails to mention how to adjust it.

Bumping this...

I took apart my throttle body to clean and paint it, and it didn't really occur to me that the TPS has slots to allow for adjustment. Now that I'm putting it back together I realize I have no idea how it was adjusted to begin with... anyone know the proper way to adjust it? The only thing that really makes sense to me is to put it on so that the sensor is all the way at its limit when the throttle plate is shut.

If you can't get an answer, I would put it on and see if an ohm meter varied continuously though the entire throttle position. If you checked the readings against another P5 or Protege, that would be even better. I'm thinking the ECU would probably be happy enough.

Okay, I did a little more searching last night, and found an article suggesting that you should see between 4.0 - 5.5 volts across pins 1 and 3 of the TPS when the throttle is closed. If the voltage is outside that range it should be adjusted until it is in.

I replaced my TPS and there appears to be adjustability. However, I checked the throttle-closed and throttle-wide-open with a Scanguage II and found the positions were 0 and 100% respectively. The original TPS appeared to have a glitch in the middle of the operating range but there was no change in the way the vehicle operated.

Good luck!

sometimes I have to unplug my tps in order to turn on my car it revs high like 2200-2500 rpms in its annoying

Using a scan tool with data stream (bluetooth ELM327 will work), turn key on, check TPS voltage and percentage with the throttle closed. Should be 4-5 volts or close to 0%.

No need to check resistance, you can also check the signal wire for voltage.

Back