How To Acquire Non-US Spec Head Restraints for a US-spec CX-5

The seats fold now without having to move the front seats up! WOO-HOO! Thanks for pointing out the stitching. I'll have to go get a Sharpie pen and color them black.
I like these head rests, I can see out through the back glass now. The color matches OK (to me, anyway) and they are comfortable for the back seat passengers.
The other day Wifey and I took some friends out to dinner and they rode in the back and commented how nice my car was. They drive a BMW.

Last edited:
Ha you've figured out how to post pictures! I always have something new to learn even if I've reached senior years. :)

Your pictures look very nice and sharp. I can even see the middle headrest has one line of red and one line of black stitching but Mazda3's has two lines of red stitching. CX-5's JDM headrests have only one line of red stitching which is exactly like middle headrest. And red stitching is only for 2013~2015 MY CX-5's. And yours look a bit taller than JDM CX5's when seated. Have you tried if they'll intervene the front seat back when you're folding the rear seat?
OK-I've colored the thread with a black sharpie pen. The head rest is raised a little above the seat top to show the thread color better. What do you think?
IMGP9382.jpg

OK-I've colored the thread with a black sharpie pen. The head rest is raised a little above the seat top to show the thread color better. What do you think?
I wouldn't do it as not many people will notice it. But blacken one line of red stitching definitely makes all three headrests look consistent.

My headrests got here yesterday but I was at work and couldn't accept the delivery. Picked them up on lunch today and installed them.
I am satisfied with the quality and color. I don't have very many back seat passengers and I am very pleased with the increased viewing angles from the rearview while driving. When sitting in the back seat I noticed if you are tall enough that you would need to push them up to get the optimal safety benefits they will annoy the passenger and prompt them to raise them up for comforts sake. For me they were money well spent.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The part numbers for Mazda CX-5 non-US version JDM rear seat headrests are:

2016~?:
K070-88-240 02 - Black Touring Cloth with Black Stitching

Thanks again for posting this nice and clearly. I ordered then from japanparts.com last night. Painless process and am satisfied with the $157 shipped for a pair of black cloth headrests (~$38 shipping). I should get the shipping confirmation next week.

Cheers,

Gary

Looks good! Mine was released from customs today, so hopefully early next week. Sucks you have to be there to sign for it since I most likely won't be home for it.

My headrests got here yesterday but I was at work and couldn't accept the delivery. Picked them up on lunch today and installed them.
I am satisfied with the quality and color. I don't have very many back seat passengers and I am very pleased with the increased viewing angles from the rearview while driving. When sitting in the back seat I noticed if you are tall enough that you would need to push them up to get the optimal safety benefits they will annoy the passenger and prompt them to raise them up for comforts sake. For me they were money well spent.
Ha it ended up you got your parchment headrests earlier than Scythe024's black ones. Whoever has had these JDM headrests, he/she is very happy about it! They, including me, all feel the money is well spent! And it's the first time I saw parchment color JDM headrests installed on the rear seat, and they look really nice! You raised a good point though, if a taller people sitting in the rear seat, he/she would feel unconformable if he/she doesn't raise the headrest as it will stick into his/her high back. It's like a passive safety feature build-in.

Looks good! Mine was released from customs today, so hopefully early next week. Sucks you have to be there to sign for it since I most likely won't be home for it.
Although it rarely happens in my neighborhood, but I did have experience that the package left at front door and got stolen. Better be safe than sorry. But the longer you wait, the more joy you'll have once you got them. Make sure to post some pictures!

Has anyone ordered from ricartparts.com or shopmazdaparts.com (Med Center Mazda)?

http://www.ricartparts.com/mazda/cx...-seats-scat/?part_name=headrest&position=left

http://www.shopmazdaparts.com/mazda...ts-scat/?part_name=headrest&position=headrest

There are a few more sites like these and they all appear to be the same source. One oddity is earlier in the post the part for a 2013 GT Sand Headrest is KD51-88-240-34 however these sites list it as KD51-88-340-34 (which may be there internal number not OEM number).

Last edited:
Has anyone ordered from ricartparts.com or shopmazdaparts.com (Med Center Mazda)?

http://www.ricartparts.com/mazda/cx...-seats-scat/?part_name=headrest&position=left

http://www.shopmazdaparts.com/mazda...ts-scat/?part_name=headrest&position=headrest

There are a few more sites like these and they all appear to be the same source. One oddity is earlier in the post the part for a 2013 GT Sand Headrest is KD51-88-240-34 however these sites list it as KD51-88-340-34 (which may be there internal number not OEM number).

I have bought from Med Center Mazda and all went OK.

That is the center one.
And very early in this thread, someone had tried using the center one and it wouldn't fit into the outboard rear seat as the distance between two metal bar is too short.

Thank you. One of the sites listed it as "LEFT" and I was not sure.
Yeah, but it has different part number than I listed, and the description and diagram are all showing it's for center rear seat. Sometime we got to read the fine prints.

That is the center one.
Thank you. One of the sites listed it as "LEFT" and I was not sure.
Since this thread started on 3/27/2012 by CodyZoom, nobody could find these Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) outboard rear-seat headrests from the US Mazda dealers, or US auto-parts websites. Even CodyZoom is no longer posting here for a long time. The price of these headrests has been coming down from $330 a pair via an Australian Mazda dealer, to $220 a pair from a member brought back from Japan, then I found Japanparts.com for $150~$170 a pair depending on shipping method and exchange rate. If you have a chance traveling to Japan or Taiwan, you could pick up them there at Mazda dealer for even cheaper $95~$105 a pair. Just make sure to pre-order those as they normally don't stock those JDM headrests.

There're some Japanese local auto-parts websites who sell even less, such as this:

Mazda
(K0) rest, head
Order CodePart numberselling price
(Tax not included)
21089407K07088240 02 4,070
21089416K07088240 34 4,070
21089425K07288240 02 4,700
21089434K07388240 39 4,700

Of course 4,700 JPY ($42.11 USD) for each JDM headrest is much lower than Japanparts.com's 7,000 JPY. But you need a Japanese friend order them for you locally, or have him/her writing an email to found out if the website is willing to ship the headrests to the States. In fact, I almost did this way until I had a chance traveling to Taipei.

Mine came in today. They attempted delivery at 9am and I was passed out. Went to grab lunch and saw a USPS driver so I pulled over to ask him, only to find out it was a different driver. Anyways I go to lunch, come back, and see the driver on my block. I pull over windows down slowly moving towards him and he starts to say "Awww man. NO! You cant have your headrest for your new car! get out of here!" than starts to laugh saying I just need to sign and he will grab it. He also ask me why I'm already getting new headrest lol. Kind of akward having to explain why your replacing headrest and shipping them from Japan.

The Box - WTF? Why a Subaru Box?
CWy7l2e.jpg

The Goods!
3ak7XRW.jpg

Before - Rear View Mirror
rOXEzxA.jpg

Before - Rear Seat Photo
YUGILnr.jpg

After - Rear View Mirror
ulaxsaO.jpg

After - Rear Seat Photo
D7kYJwI.jpg

Mine came in today. They attempted delivery at 9am and I was passed out. Went to grab lunch and saw a USPS driver so I pulled over to ask him, only to find out it was a different driver. Anyways I go to lunch, come back, and see the driver on my block. I pull over windows down slowly moving towards him and he starts to say "Awww man. NO! You cant have your headrest for your new car! get out of here!" than starts to laugh saying I just need to sign and he will grab it. He also ask me why I'm already getting new headrest lol. Kind of akward having to explain why your replacing headrest and shipping them from Japan.

The Box - WTF? Why a Subaru Box?
Great! You finally got yours! You must feel the money is well spent too! As for the Subaru box, Japanparts.com carries all Japanese auto parts with all Japanese brands. They used a Subaru box laid somewhere in their warehouse to ship your Mazda headrests shouldn't be a surprise. :)

Great! You finally got yours! You must feel the money is well spent too! As for the Subaru box, Japanparts.com carries all Japanese auto parts with all Japanese brands. They used a Subaru box laid somewhere in their warehouse to ship your Mazda headrests shouldn't be a surprise. :)

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with them. Good quality obviously. I went on my first drive when them just now and the difference in the read view mirror is night and day. I can see so much more that I actually looked out of it longer than I probably should have lol. It is also nice having the seats fold down without having to move the seats or take the headrest off.

Good experience ordering JDM Headrests from Japanparts

FYI Ya'll.
I went to Japanparts looking for the KD49-88-240 02 - Black Touring Cloth headrests. I only saw leather on their website. I emailed them and they responded within a day using very good English. They added them onto their website for me. I believe they do not have them in stock, but are able to order them because they said they could not guarantee the color of the stitching (most have been red stitching). I imagine they could order the different colors of headrests even though they may not show on their website.
I put in my order. Total was $168.
Was tempted to buy USA Mazda3 headrests and live with the gap, but decided against it.

Back