How the AWD works in the CX-9

AWD option

I rented a Cx-9 AWD for my ski trip. The car could not even go up a slight incline. I can see tire marks from the front wheels, whereas the rear wheels weren't even spinning.
How can I tell whether the car has the AWD option ?
Any exterior or interior visual clues ?
Thanks.

There's no way to tell whether it has AWD or not, unless you look underneath
for the driveshaft and rear dif. Are you sure you rented an AWD? Most rental places won't carry vehicles with that option.

There's no way to tell whether it has AWD or not, unless you look underneath
for the driveshaft and rear dif. Are you sure you rented an AWD? Most rental places won't carry vehicles with that option.

Good idea. I'll look underneath before I call Hertz and complain.
I requested for 4WD and at least that's what it shows on the rental agreement.

hmmm...you got my curious to give my AWD system a try. There is a lot of snow on the ground here in Portland. Seems like these seemless systems can be seemlessly not working and there isn't a good way to know for sure until you get into bad conditions and even then you don't really know one way or the other.

Not correct. There is a way to tell if the AWD system is not functioning. There is an indicator light on the instrument panel that will flash if there's a problem. It's the yellow 4WD light. If that indicator is on or flashing, there's a problem being detected with the system.

I know this from personal experience when the transfer case on my 9 failed. That light was flashing when I was driving on snow and ice but getting no power to the rear wheels - the system sensed the difference in wheel speed between front and rear. Since I had the transfer case replaced, and the AWD is now working, I haven't seen that indicator light again.

Ted

Last edited:
Not correct. There is a way to tell if the AWD system is not functioning. There is an indicator light on the instrument panel that will flash if there's a problem. It's the yellow 4WD light. If that indicator is on or flashing, there's a problem being detected with the system.

I know this from personal experience when the transfer case on my 9 failed. That light was flashing when I was driving on snow and ice but getting no power to the rear wheels - the system sensed the difference in wheel speed between front and rear. Since I had the transfer case replaced, and the AWD is now working, I haven't seen that indicator light again.

Ted

No, I am correct. You can't tell the 4WD system is not working until you are in conditions that you need it. From what you just posted you didn't know your system was not working till you drove on snow and ice. I would rather not be on snow and ice then find out my system is not working

I did take it out yesterday in fairly deep snow and some ice and it did pretty well. The roads are so rutted that you can't help but stay on track . I did take it into a slushy parking lot and made some hard turns but there was no spinning or drama. Overall it did better than I thought considering I have the 20" stock tires.

No, I am correct. You can't tell the 4WD system is not working until you are in conditions that you need it. From what you just posted you didn't know your system was not working till you drove on snow and ice. I would rather not be on snow and ice then find out my system is not working

I did take it out yesterday in fairly deep snow and some ice and it did pretty well. The roads are so rutted that you can't help but stay on track . I did take it into a slushy parking lot and made some hard turns but there was no spinning or drama. Overall it did better than I thought considering I have the 20" stock tires.

Uh, you didn't qualify your statement in that way the first time. You said:
"...there isn't a good way to know for sure until you get into bad conditions and even then you don't really know one way or the other."

You're correct in that the problem doesn't clearly show itself until the vehicle gets into poor traction conditions but there IS a definite way to tell if the system is malfunctioning. You can tell definitely one way or the other. So no, you weren't completely correct in your first statement. My only objective was to point out to people that there is a way to know - even if it is at a bad time for finding out.

I do agree with your point that it would be better to know there's a problem before the system was needed and would like a way of testing the system in good road conditions.

Ted

Last edited:
Just keep in mind everyone that when it snows, snow tires are called for! The factory tires are NOT snow tires, they are 3 season tires. If you live where it snows, 4WD or not, you should have snow tires on. Hey, it's the law in Quebec now!

Ted
I have this exact problem. Can you (or anyone) tell me approximately how much it will cost to have the transfer case fixed?

I am unfortunately out of warranty. :(

How the AWD works in the CX 9

Err I cant seem to find my "brain" or "shock sensor" or ANYTHING mainly cus I have no clue how it all works. How would I actually get to it? Or usualy? Thanks

might be worth noting....

in the FWD, i have noticed the TCS system will only apply the ABS when one tire spins, but it will actually pull engine power when both wheels slip at the same time. it makes sense, though a block away from my house is a very steep hill with a stop sign. both tires always slip in the rain on the painted white line, and the TCS then kills engine power. at almost full throttle, the engine has so little power it can hardly pull me up the hill, but the wheels have stopped spinning as soon as they were off the white line. it takes probably 5 or 6 seconds for the engine power to return to normal.

not a bad thing, but interesting, at least in my book.

Al

take a look at this video on the operaiton of the 6 MPS (Mazdaspeed6) All-wheel-drive system. From the looks of things, there is always SOME torque going to the rear wheels unless at low speeds or cruising. But the moment there is any accerleration torque is sent rearwards. Quite interesting.

heres the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOWGq1B8C84

i can tell you that both the CX-7 and CX-9 AWD systems work brilliantly in the snow. our CX-7 lease ended in December, and we replaced it with an AWD CX-9. we got socked here in Philly this past winter, and even on old all-seasons, our CX-7 plowed through 12" inches of fresh snow with no problems. i was really surprised. also, when turing from a stop, you can certainly feel the torque sent to the rear as the rear will kick out under aggressive throttle application.

we got heavy snow before and after new year's, and the 9 got through ~15" with no trouble. i think the 9's limited slip diffs also really help. the 7 was much more lively while plowing through deep snow, while the 9 just kind of marched straight ahead with no drama.

Hey guys,
This is an interesting vid i found on the Australian Mazda website.

Did you know that the CX9 has an LSD? :p I didn't.

http://www.mazda.com.au/Design-and-Technology/Active-Torque-Split.aspx

And from the vid, seeing as it was demonstrating the AWD system in the body of a 2nd Gen 6, i think Mazda HQ has a 2nd Gen MPS6 as a concept, but is only waiting for the green light from the US. Please oh please let there be another MPS6.

No I didn't. All I know is that with the AWD and snow tires, the cars handles snow very well. I drove it today as my wife decided to work from home. All the back roads had not been plowed, yet it still handled around the bends without any issues.

This morning, as I was negotiating our CX-9 through yet another snowfall in the NE I wondered if the system actually behaves differently whether the tranny is in auto or manumatic mode. My guess is that it does, though I can't be sure. Since the computer can no longer depend on the transmission being in a particular gear at a particular time. So when the tranny is in manumatic mode there is probably the possibility that the system can't react or make well-informed decisions fast enough. Of course the system probably reacts pretty quickly so any lag or user-input as far a manual gear change probably isn't enough to confuse it. Anyone have any insight here? It may have been my imagination but I thought the car behaved better with the tranny in auto mode. I felt like the CX-9 had more of tendancy to throw out it's tail when I was manually shifting.

Last edited:
I felt like the CX-9 had more of tendancy to throw out it's tail when I was manually shifting.

Could be. You might be holding a gear longer than the auto would and letting the engine rev to greater torque and power. This could allow your tires to lose grip. I've used the manual in snow to start in 2nd gear and then try to upshift as soon as possible...the opposite of what I usually would use manual mode for.

Yeah I use manual mode to start in 2nd gear as well, especially in my Mz6 so I can crawl over any ice. Once I crawl out I set it to auto. Over the last couple weeks I've started forgetting about manually shifting during the winter and letting the computers handle it. Will go back to having fun once thw wweather stops dumping tons of snow on our heads. Man and it's only January!

Back