hood release latch missing

Sarah

I just bought a brand new 2007 GT Mazda5. This is my first new car ever. Today, I wanted to look under the hood and could not find a hood release latch anywhere. There is an empty space above the clutch (by my left knee) where this latch should be (according to the manual and every other car I have ever driven.)
Am I crazy? I am a little nervous about what else might have been "forgotten" at the factory. Do new cars usually have parts missing???
I searched most threads and postings on this sight and haven't heard anything mentioned by others.....

Call the dealership and let them know your disdain. They'll get you the new part and I would ask they do their pre-delivery check again, to be certain nothing else is missing/incorrectly installed.

Zoom-Zoom!

Sarah said:
I just bought a brand new 2007 GT Mazda5. This is my first new car ever. Today, I wanted to look under the hood and could not find a hood release latch anywhere. There is an empty space above the clutch (by my left knee) where this latch should be (according to the manual and every other car I have ever driven.)
Am I crazy? I am a little nervous about what else might have been "forgotten" at the factory. Do new cars usually have parts missing???
I searched most threads and postings on this sight and haven't heard anything mentioned by others.....
Look at this pic the hood latch is there
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=101249

just looked at mine.... that cubby is cool and has the obd port... but look below that at the very very bottom of your dash..... the hood release is there. That cubby is just above the latch in that picture

raspykart said:
Whats the IPOD got to do with the hood latch location??? now I gotta go look at my 2007 GT too to see.

Someone suggested the whole dash (including the latch) would have to be removed to install the I-pod Adaptor and perhaps the mechanic forgot to replace the Hood release latch. It just doesn't seem plausible that it was a factory mistake! Someone opened my hood to put in fluids at the dealership. I checked my friend's Mazda5 and I promise you -it is definately missing on mine.
BTW - my I-pod adaptor is in my glovebox.

Sarah said:
Someone opened my hood to put in fluids at the dealership. I checked my friend's Mazda5 and I promise you -it is definately missing on mine.

You're going to have to go to your dealership and get an answer from them, as this seems like an exceptional situation that nom one else here has seen. Let us know what they say; I'm curious what they will tell you.

Kaian said:
You're going to have to go to your dealership and get an answer from them, as this seems like an exceptional situation that nom one else here has seen. Let us know what they say; I'm curious what they will tell you.

Just drove home from the dealership with
-my new snow tires (I found the Toyo's scary slippery)
-my new rear suspension bushings (no noise!!!)
-my new hood release latch
They even washed the outside and vacumned the inside. No gas though - we are having a shortage here and the ESSO they use is closed.
In a Twilight Zone moment - the service manager called to say the latch was there - just hard to find. I was ready to eat humble pie - even after looking at the picture in this thread, checking my friend's 5 (dealer said 2006's were different) and getting into the car with the flashlight. People! I assure you there was NO LATCH! Thank god my husband looked at it before and after with a "f#@k that! It wasn't f*@#ing there" or I would be committing myself right now!!!
p.s. they gave me a Mazda6 with V6 engine for replacement while work was being done- this car was fun to drive!! - fast!!.

Zoom5Zoom said:
Where u from Sarah.... ESSO EH Ottawa here

BTW Latch for 2006 & 2007 same place fyi

I currently live in Toronto. yes, the latch is in the exact same place! Here is a theory. Letting a car go out without a hood release latch is potentially dangerous and could make the dealership liable. (ie. fire in engine) Perhaps they didn't want any paper trail on this little matter so acted dumb about it's "magic" appearance.
My Invoice says:
Complaint: Hood Release Missing. Pls install.
Correction: Hood Latch release was hidden
Latch discovered.

Discovered in the mechanic's toolbox I think.
Frankly, I have been happy with my dealer service department and wouldn't pursue this to get anyone in trouble. But, I don't appreciate being played and treated like I'm dizzy.
p.s Not a squeak or scrunch from the backend AND it is -10 (-20 with windchill).

Sarah said:
I currently live in Toronto. yes, the latch is in the exact same place! Here is a theory. Letting a car go out without a hood release latch is potentially dangerous and could make the dealership liable. (ie. fire in engine) Perhaps they didn't want any paper trail on this little matter so acted dumb about it's "magic" appearance.
My Invoice says:
Complaint: Hood Release Missing. Pls install.
Correction: Hood Latch release was hidden
Latch discovered.

Discovered in the mechanic's toolbox I think.
Frankly, I have been happy with my dealer service department and wouldn't pursue this to get anyone in trouble. But, I don't appreciate being played and treated like I'm dizzy.
p.s Not a squeak or scrunch from the backend AND it is -10 (-20 with windchill).

Hi Sarah,

Where abouts did you pick your car up? I picked mine up at Agincourt Mazda in Toronto (Scarborough)... Before accepting pick up... one of the things they did for me was to pop the hood and show me that all the fluid levels were topped off and to give me a quick look under the hood... it was on their checklist that I had to sign before accepting delivery... they popped it open from the inside

I'm curious but did they do this check for you too before accepting delivery?

did they do a good job of installing the IPOD adapter? As in it was clean and not 1/2 assed looking with oversized holes?

raspykart said:
did they do a good job of installing the IPOD adapter? As in it was clean and not 1/2 assed looking with oversized holes?

I just looked and there are two large holes in the top of my glovebox but...I didn't see it before the I-pod so these could be normal. The manual lives on the top shelf so...I wouldn't put anything else there that could get lost behind. No other holes. As for a good job installing....it didn't work when we picked up the car and they had to replace the switch (at the dealer before we left.) We suggested to customer service that the dealership should get an i-pod so the system can be tested before delivery.

Isn't your I-pod above the hood release latch in the small cubby? That would be a great place to have it.

da1nonly said:
Hi Sarah,

Where abouts did you pick your car up? I picked mine up at Agincourt Mazda in Toronto (Scarborough)... Before accepting pick up... one of the things they did for me was to pop the hood and show me that all the fluid levels were topped off and to give me a quick look under the hood... it was on their checklist that I had to sign before accepting delivery... they popped it open from the inside

I'm curious but did they do this check for you too before accepting delivery?

We bought our car at Westowne Mazda as recommended in the CarCost Report (which they honored without a blink.) Yes, we signed off on the pre-delivery check but no tour of under the hood. As this was my first experience with a new car or a dealership - I was clearly a bit naive and didn't personally and physically check everything on the list. The list had all boxes checked which I took (okay i'm dizzy!!!) to mean that the mechanic had checked them personally and physically. Lesson learned!!

Sarah said:
I just looked and there are two large holes in the top of my glovebox but...I didn't see it before the I-pod so these could be normal. The manual lives on the top shelf so...I wouldn't put anything else there that could get lost behind. No other holes. As for a good job installing....it didn't work when we picked up the car and they had to replace the switch (at the dealer before we left.) We suggested to customer service that the dealership should get an i-pod so the system can be tested before delivery.

Isn't your I-pod above the hood release latch in the small cubby? That would be a great place to have it.

I haven't had mine put in yet, but I will ask to have it put there if its not too much trouble.... it shouldn't be since the OBD connetor is there and I think there's some space to drop the IPOD cable in next to it, otherwise the Glove box is acceptable. I'll be sure to bring my IPOD and hook it up before rolling off.

Westowne Mazda, I purchased through them as well..............their service has to be the worst I have ever experienced!!! We had the car back in one week after taking delivery for issues related to optional equipment installation (remote starter). Sat two hours waiting for them to fit my dash panel back in place properly, only to find the "A" pillar cover loose, headliner dirty (greasy fingerprints). Their response to my objections??? "It was not us......" That was the last time they ever saw/touched my vehicle. I now get it serviced at Mississauga Mazda.

btw - Westowne's pre-delivery was the pits.

Last edited:
smmra said:
Westowne Mazda, I purchased through them as well..............their service has to be the worst I have ever experienced!!! We had the car back in one week after taking delivery for issues related to optional equipment installation (remote starter). Sat two hours waiting for them to fit my dash panel back in place properly, only to find the "A" pillar cover loose, headliner dirty (greasy fingerprints). Their response to my objections??? "It was not us......" That was the last time they will ever see my vehicle again. I now get it serviced at Mississauga Mazda.

Oh my Gosh! That is soooo discouraging. I was really starting to like them - especially the one guy who I bonded with over BSG!!!! A Mazda5 owner in my schoolyard said that she stopped going to the Dufferin location because they were giving her all kinds of attitude. I am starting to think I should just take it to Frank at the local shop - I love him and he drives a Harley! I am concerned that he may have never seen a Mazda5 before.

Last edited:
smmra said:
Westowne Mazda, I purchased through them as well..............their service has to be the worst I have ever experienced!!! We had the car back in one week after taking delivery for issues related to optional equipment installation (remote starter). Sat two hours waiting for them to fit my dash panel back in place properly, only to find the "A" pillar cover loose, headliner dirty (greasy fingerprints). Their response to my objections??? "It was not us......" That was the last time they ever saw/touched my vehicle. I now get it serviced at Mississauga Mazda.

I am now officially disgusted with Westowne Mazda (they are nice but...) I just discovered that my roof rack was installed backwards!!! Honestly, I feel relieved I didn't order something complicated to put in!! First the I-pod was wrong, then the hood release latch debacle and now this!!! How do these people sleep at night? (protest) Is this normal??? Please, someone tell me where to take my car to be serviced?!? I live in HighPark, Toronto. Missisaugua Mazda is pretty far (but not out of the question.) Anyone had luck at the Lakeshore/Downtown Mazda?

Back