high pitch sound!

Strata

:
Mazda Protege 5
this is the first time its happend and im sure it was nothing..but this weird thing happend..as I got onto the interstate, I got on at around 40mph and then since it was just me I opened it up and once I had it going around 80 I just hear this kinda high pitch sound...like it came from the speakers or something I dunno the radio/cd wasnt on or anything..once I heard the sound I just let off the gas and the sound stopped..then I got back on it and the sound was gone...the conditions outside were around 78* kinda humid and it had just rained about an hour ago...has that ever happend to anyone?

do you have any amps in your sound system ir other head unit besides your factory one? if so, maye you have some kind of ground-loop problem?????

could have been road noise, or maybe the tranny? (they are known to whine at certain RPMs)

I occasionally get a high pitched sound also. I do have amps and such, but even with the stereo off, the sound will be present, and I think it was there before I did any stereo work. It seems to happen more with the A/C on for me. I've had it since day one and the dealership found nothing. It's louder when on the gas, than not...

But most the time, no sound.

yea its got to do with your altenator if i recall, basically are you running your rca's and your power cable on different sides of the car? this will eliminate that

Astral and I both had ground loop issues when installing our systems......frustrating to work with but we both got them fixed!

when i broke a manifold bolt, i had a whistle sound around 5500+ RPMs due to a very slight exhaust leak..

Strata said:
this is the first time its happend and im sure it was nothing..but this weird thing happend..as I got onto the interstate, I got on at around 40mph and then since it was just me I opened it up and once I had it going around 80 I just hear this kinda high pitch sound...like it came from the speakers or something I dunno the radio/cd wasnt on or anything..once I heard the sound I just let off the gas and the sound stopped..then I got back on it and the sound was gone...the conditions outside were around 78* kinda humid and it had just rained about an hour ago...has that ever happend to anyone?

This brings back some bad memories - and why I traded in my first P5. Strata, does your car happen to be auto?? Check the TSB list in the protege faq (you'll find the link on here if you do a search, the exact url escapes me at the moment).

It's basically a resonance in the transmission and you'll hear it around 45 mph (occasionally), and around 75 mph. You'll want to check out my post here http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1589065&postcount=49 for full details. Feel free to pm me if you have any further questions.

grounding problem with your speakers/amps I would say...
you're stereo doesn't need to be on to pick up noise on the audio system and project it out the speakers

mogi said:
grounding problem with your speakers/amps I would say...
you're stereo doesn't need to be on to pick up noise on the audio system and project it out the speakers
ok, but it doesn't come from the speakers

theice said:
ok, but it doesn't come from the speakers

it should come from the speakers and usually corresponds with the rpms as the raise and fall.......

Strata said:

Maybe, by chance, you were near a big rig semi with some God damn, high powered CB radio set-up. Some of those guys run thousands of watts in transmit power, when a standard CB is limited to about 4 watts. When they "key" their radio it can cause all kinds of havoc with nearby electronics. I have a friend that's into the hobbie and running big power. It comes through his (and a few of his neighbors) TV, computer speakers and stereo speakers, without even having the stuff turned on. He could turn on the local automatic car wash just by sitting in the parking lot and whistling into the mircophone. Pretty cool. We also have warning sirens here around the local nuclear power plant which are radio controled. He can sit under one and set those off as well. (sssh) Even cooler.
I know, it's a long shot. Just a thought

i drive a 5sp and no big rigs were near me..it may have just been some bad lining or something on the interstate I dunno..its only happend once though..and im not running a audio set-up just yet..

theice - are you auto? You reference the thread I posted in (I think mine is one of the last posts); is it anything like what I'm talking about that you're hearing?

Strata - I know the 'resonance in the transmission' (according to Mazda) is definitely more common with the auto's, but I know it can happen in the manual trannies as well. Keep an ear out for it, as mine started very quiet and intermittent at first, and got progressively worse. I really hope this isn't what you're experiencing, but just from what you indicated in your first post, it sure sounds like it is.

Pro5Monkey said:
Maybe, by chance, you were near a big rig semi with some God damn, high powered CB radio set-up. Some of those guys run thousands of watts in transmit power, when a standard CB is limited to about 4 watts. When they "key" their radio it can cause all kinds of havoc with nearby electronics. I have a friend that's into the hobbie and running big power. It comes through his (and a few of his neighbors) TV, computer speakers and stereo speakers, without even having the stuff turned on. He could turn on the local automatic car wash just by sitting in the parking lot and whistling into the mircophone. Pretty cool. We also have warning sirens here around the local nuclear power plant which are radio controled. He can sit under one and set those off as well. (sssh) Even cooler.
I know, it's a long shot. Just a thought

(lol)

well I think i may have narrowed it down..today I noticed that my driver rear tire was loosing air like crazy...last night I put 40psi into it and today I checked all the tires and it was down to prolly 18psi..so I was like theres a hole or something somehwere in this thing so I took it down to the local tire show and sure enough, there was a nice screw sticking out of the side wall..im guessing the sound was the screw hitting the road or something I dunno if that makes sense or not..so I had them fix it...just kinda pissed me off that a screw was sticking out of my 3 1/2 month old Toyo Proxes 4

Back